Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need?
Quote | Reply
I have Di2 on my tri bike right now. Been using some form of Di2 since 2010. Love it but I like to tinker and try new stuff. Bought a new aerobar/stem system (Profile Design Aeria Ultimate system) and figured I'd give the eTap a go before I go and re-wire or re-cable anything. I assume my Shimano crankset and cassettes will work just fine

Looks like I need the eTap Aero Shift Kit: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...-etap-aero-shift-kit

and

A second set of Blip and BlipGrips: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram-red-etap-blipgrip or the eTap Clics

And some kind of brake levers to replace the Di2 brifters.

Is that it?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am fairly certain that's everything.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That set comes with 4 blips, so really that's all you need, but I can't recommend the clics highly enough. They are excellent, and very much worth the ~$100.

I love my etap setup!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only downside of ETap is the need for2032 batteries and recharging derailleur batteries from time to time. You probably also need to spend more money on buying beer and recovery products because you won't be messing with all the wiring crap associated with Di2. All those hours will be spent either for training or recreating/recovering. Once you go ETap you will realize that wires suck, and this is from a Die Hard Campy fan.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need 2032 batteries for the tri bike kit

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the blip box uses cr2032
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend the clics for your bar-end shifting...they are worth it. Also, I have not tried shimano, but ime, eTap does play better with sram equipment. I had been using a rotor crank and kmc chain and it was a little finicky...went to a sram crank/chain and that went away...

I have ridden DI2 plenty...but like the ease of eTap...like that I can carry an extra battery if I want to...and honestly like the the straightforward shifting(right, left, both).

The blip box is bigger, no doubt...but for everything else that comes with eTap, it's worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I converted my Shiv to Etap for this year. I run a Shimano Ultegra chain and rear cassette with Sworks Chainrings and have had no issues what so ever with shifting with my Etap. I did put one of Premier's Optimized Connex chains on for LP 70.3 and the 53/11 was skipping around on me but everything else was spot on. I was going to try adjusting it with the fraction adjustment feature on the blip box but decided against it during a race.

Like mentioned the aero kit comes with 4 blips. I bought the Eclics and ended up returning them. I like having the grips on the end of my aerobars, they ended up being a little short without the shifters which I liked to keep in my hands. The grips fit nicely in my hands and took up some of the space of the bar end shifters. I just wrapped the basebar blips in bar tape although you can use the blip grips here too by leaving the ends open.

I would like to hear your thoughts in how it performs compared to the DI2 once you get it installed. It has to be the worlds easiest group to install. I mounted the blip box on the stem cap and it is behind my BTA. I have been extremely pleased with mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second what the others have said about etap not playing very nicely with other chains. I wanted an Ultra Optimized chain so I tried the Connex 11SX and just couldn't get them to work well together. I switched to a SRAM 1170 and it worked flawlessly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I have had no problems with Campy chains. They probably aren't what most people would choose, but I had a bunch. I use a YBN quick link as well. I have heard that the quick link on the Wipperman chain can be a problem though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too highly recommend the clics for your extensions. So much easier to press than the blips IMHO and super clean setup.

I used a KMC 11 speed chain with shimano ultegra cassette, in both 1X and 2X setups, all worked flawless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered the eTap aero kit, the Clics, and a new KMC X11SL DLC chain that's orange and black to sort of match my blue and orange bike.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering replacing my original DA 7090 Di2 setup for etap since it has had some untimely failures. What's did the full setup cost you ?
Thanks,
RG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
. I did put one of Premier's Optimized Connex chains on for LP 70.3 and the 53/11 was skipping around on me but everything else was spot on. I was going to try adjusting it with the fraction adjustment feature on the blip box but decided against it during a race.

Check the connex link, you might have it on upside down. When it's upside down your chain will click in the 11 or 12 cog.
Check the instructions for installing the wipperman chain
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Considering replacing my original DA 7090 Di2 setup for etap since it has had some untimely failures. What's did the full setup cost you ?
Thanks,
RG

1x11 was sub 800$. Add 400ish for 2x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
rmg wrote:
Thanks,
RG

1x11 was sub 800$. Add 400ish for 2x.

Any discount deals around for a 1x11 setup at the moment? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
mlyonsdc wrote:
. I did put one of Premier's Optimized Connex chains on for LP 70.3 and the 53/11 was skipping around on me but everything else was spot on. I was going to try adjusting it with the fraction adjustment feature on the blip box but decided against it during a race.

Check the connex link, you might have it on upside down. When it's upside down your chain will click in the 11 or 12 cog.

Thanks I will look into that. Unfortunately I pulled the chain off and put my Ultegra one back on for daily use so I don't know exactly how I had the link oriented. I searched the site and looked at the instructions and they don't say there is a specific direction to install the link? I don't believe the link itself has any arrows on it or this side up markings?
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Thanks,
RG

I got the eTap aero kit and Clics for about $1600 using DC Rainmaker's 10% discount at Clever Training. Chain and quick link were about $100. So maybe $1800 with sales tax.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Premier has a link to a YouTube video in the page of instructions that come with the chain. I can't find it now buy here's an article I found that explains the issue:

http://www.velonews.com/...inverted-link_134531

I had the same issue with skipping in the 12 cog and look and behold it was upside-down :) no issues after I installed it correctly

Edit: here it is, skip to 5:50 :) pretty dramatic

mlyonsdc wrote:
sp1ke wrote:
mlyonsdc wrote:

Thanks I will look into that. Unfortunately I pulled the chain off and put my Ultegra one back on for daily use so I don't know exactly how I had the link oriented. I searched the site and looked at the instructions and they don't say there is a specific direction to install the link? I don't believe the link itself has any arrows on it or this side up markings?
Last edited by: sp1ke: Sep 17, 17 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Converting to SRAM eTap. What do I need? [derailleur'd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running a Connex 11SX chain with Campy cassettes (all my wheels are Campy) for training and a Premier Optimized Chain (same base chain) for races with no issues.
Quote Reply