Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

san antonio cycling, new to the area!
Quote | Reply
so I've been looking around to find out where do cycling groups ride from and what not but haven't seen much... except for one group go takes off from the north side of town. is it really hilly there? I do perfectly fine with a Rotor QXL 54/41 will that be too big for the area??? I was under the impression that San Antonio was more of flat to gentle rolling hills... someone pleas help me!!!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: san antonio cycling, new to the area! [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
San Antonio can be very hilly. North of the city gets hilly. I can't speak to any groups riding out of San Antonio. I am in New Braunfels which is ~30min north. Check with Britton's bike shop or Alamo180. They have Tri clubs and can probably point you in the right direction. There is a group (El Camino) that rides out of New Braunfels on Tues and Thurs evenings and Sunday morning from the Gruene Coffee shop. Welcome to the area. It should be cooling off soon enough to enjoy some nice fall/winter rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends where you are. South and east are usually flatter. Different groups leave from the Pearl and Rosellas on weekends and there are rides Tuesday and Thursday out of the Pearl as well.

Another shop to inquire at is Bicycle Heaven in Castle Hills or their other location in the Colonnade (I-10 near Wurzbach and the Medical Center).

-Nick
Quote Reply
Re: san antonio cycling, new to the area! [NMath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ima be moving to the west side of town near Ingram park tryna ride around a flatter area so I can get accustomed to the hills since I'm coming from Tampa FL.

Appreciate the info fellas!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any update on how the local rides are playero?
Quote Reply
Re: san antonio cycling, new to the area! [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you asked... seems like most people in San Antonio do t like the cold, been an avg of 35-45 degrees for the most part.

Not many group rides as of late however, I'm afraid the pacing is a bit low for me! One of the rides was mostly flat and the pace was going to be a 12-13mph so, I've been killing myself on the trainer and running so a lot instead lol

Prolly won't be cycling in groups much if most rides are with that type of speeds

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like doing the tree of life crit series in the summer
Quote Reply
Re: san antonio cycling, new to the area! [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I did not see many cyclists last month when I visited but found a number of running paths. The downtown area seems to be growing and attracted my attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sign up for the Easter Hill Country tour over Easter weekend. It's based in Kerville, which is a little over an hour away from you. It's a 3 day cycling tour through a really nice countryside at the right time of year. You won't regret it!
Quote Reply
Re: san antonio cycling, new to the area! [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Sign up for the Easter Hill Country tour over Easter weekend. It's based in Kerville, which is a little over an hour away from you. It's a 3 day cycling tour through a really nice countryside at the right time of year. You won't regret it!

I'll look into it and see how it goes... seems like good tough riding groups are rare over here and while that's ok I was looking forward to better things but oh well!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll find some cat 1/pro guys riding out there, might be a good place to get connected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local from Austin, but I ride near SA ever so often. Everything on here is accurate.

North and northwest is great and my favorite riding in the area.

For group rides or tri training, contact Mark Saroni at Paragon Training. Great group and coach.
Quote Reply
Re: san antonio cycling, new to the area! [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a whole bunch of routes that were used during the annual Texas Hell Week rides based out of Fredericksburg that ended last year.

http://odiebaby.wixsite.com/hcrk/hell-week-maps
Quote Reply