Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Friend of mine a couple of years ago. Olympian, much younger than you and me, with an actual vertical leap.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/...article53759165.html

Ouch. I looked him up on wiki and it appears he did not make the 2016 Olympics. Hope he's doing ok with life now.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last I heard he's coaching in Carolina, doing pretty well I think. Like I said, he made the B cut for Rio, but the B cut doesn't guarantee that you'll get a spot.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
MacCTD wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback.
I had not considered I could be injured training or trying to accomplish this, that definitely puts a damper on it.
I think I will pass on the wager, but read up on training to improve vertical leap and incorporate some into my regular workouts, and see if I can increase it some without going crazy.
Thanks again...

Be *very* careful if you incorporate plyometrics into your regimen. They were hard when I was in college, and I can't imagine doing any of them now (box jumps, hurdle jumps, etc.).

The key with any thing is to do it gradually. My wife started at a crossfit type of gym this summer and they threw her into the deep end right away. Naturally she was sore like crazy for a the first week or two. Just doesn't seem like sensible training but then again when you're in the business of selling memberships maybe making them sore makes your clients think what you're doing is effective.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello MacCTD and All,

There is a lot of information on the Internet about improving your fast twitch jumping muscles.

However this is Slowtwitch so your are behind the 8 ball ..... as endurance training is not helping you.

for instance .... https://www.livestrong.com/...ose-jumping-ability/

..... that might be you on the right ..... and it is a good thing since it can indicate that you have well trained slowtwitch fibers

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
Guy at work challenged me to be able to touch the rim for a significant wager, I would have two months to do it. I am 5'10" 165lbs, in decent shape, early 50s. I can touch 9' today.
What do you think can it be done?

Well what happened? Or did you back out earlier in this thread and I just forgot. I'm not going to read the thread again just because Rip Van Nealhe has stumbled across it.

Actually, I'm less interested in how high you can jump as I am in how and why Nealhe stumbles across old threads and resurrects them.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are three months late to the party. How did you stumble across this?

________
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blind Luck

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
Guy at work challenged me to be able to touch the rim for a significant wager, I would have two months to do it. I am 5'10" 165lbs, in decent shape, early 50s. I can touch 9' today.

That would mean you would have to increase your vertical jump from 18 inches to 30 inches. It is not one foot it is 70 percent more than your present vertical which is why it cannot be done.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Jimmy thinks you can do it. Jimmy has a lot of confidence in you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoskJPDbXR0
Last edited by: Sanuk: Dec 13, 17 21:14
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

Lol. Originally, I was thinking about 1 inch. Yeah, one inch, no problem. 1 foot? Forget it.
Agreed. No fucking way.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
SH wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

Lol. Originally, I was thinking about 1 inch. Yeah, one inch, no problem. 1 foot? Forget it.
Agreed. No fucking way.

I missed the original thread, I was going to tell him to dump weight. Then, oh wait, none to dump.

Only hope would be dumping 25 - 50 lbs or if you are a klutz and can get 9' running, stopping, and jumping off two legs then learn how to actually jump for the bet.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next