Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?!
Quote | Reply
My hotel neighbor in Chattanooga has P1 pedals. The garmin 920xt can no longer find the pedals after 2 months of consistently connecting. He replaced the batteries, nothing. Removed the sensor from the watch and tried to reconnect but nothing; it just says pedal to connect and even when pedaling, nothing. Don't have to time search ST on my phone and trying to help the neighbor from Belgium. I'll relay on any info to him.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P1 pedals are bluetooth too. If you guys have a smartphone or computer with Trainer Road installed (or a host of other apps) you should be able to find the pedals. That should narrow it down to pedals vs 920. Also, if he has an Ant+ HR strap make sure that can still connect to the 920. Next step would be updating the P1 pedals firmware using iOS/Android app.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Ok, the pedals connect to phone via Bluetooth. Watch still can't find them. Watch does find garmin hr strap. Trying to find powertap app to do firmware update but unsuccessful so far

Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard more than a few stories of P1 pedals going haywire prior to races. Almost seems eerie, I am also one of those that had it happen, turns out the bearings were shot and needed replacing, powertap took care of it, but it was still a race without power numbers

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After swapping the battery on mine I had to keep searching over and over for the pedals until they finally connected. Once it connected it was fine again the next time I turned it on.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [jagerbombster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. He's plugging his watch in and checking for updates and I sent him the advice to just keep trying to connect the watch until it grabs it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of troubleshooting:

- See if another watch/bike computer can connect via Ant to P1's
- Check using PowerTap app that both pedals are on the same version of firmware. Some require you install on each pedal
-Crank length set
-new batteries and choose the Lithium as it is recommended
-battery cap is tightened sufficiently (PS, they have replaced some battery caps in earlier models that corrected an issue some people faced. I'd drop by and show a power tap rep if they are around to make sure)
-Finally, remove all sensors on watch, and repair only the ones being used for race day, and try pairing outside away from interference
Last edited by: Tony5: Sep 9, 17 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try swapping the battery caps between the the left and right pedals and make sure you tighten them sufficiently. if you can pick it up on bluetooth, try updating the firmware using the app
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Here are a couple of troubleshooting:

- See if another watch/bike computer can connect via Ant to P1's
- Check using PowerTap app that both pedals are on the same version of firmware. Some require you install on each pedal
-Crank length set
-new batteries and choose the Altkaline as it is recommended
-battery cap is tightened sufficiently (PS, they have replaced some battery caps in earlier models that corrected an issue some people faced. I'd drop by and show a power tap rep if they are around to make sure)
-Finally, remove all sensors on watch, and repair only the ones being used for race day, and try pairing outside away from interference

Not alkaline, use Lithium batteries.

BTW, the powertap app is still iOS only...no Android.

My bet is either:
  1. The batteries died during transit and you need good batteries - lithium
  2. The pedals are fried and need service
  3. Something is wonky with calibration - you can individually calibrate each pedal through the app or at least see if one is working and the other is not
  4. FW is weird - if he tried updating them and they stalled halfway, need to retry in the app

Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep on Lithium.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you see both pedals on the phone using the PowerTap app? The left pedal is the master and broadcasts ANT+. They should both show up when scanning for Bluetooth devices. If the left is MIA, there will be no ANT+ broadcast.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
BTW, the powertap app is still iOS only...no Android.
True, but Android users can update the firmware using the Rouvy training app (formerly known as Cycleops VirtualTraining). Same goes for Powertap hubs that are Bluetooth-enabled. Just FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedal help needed! Computer can't find pedal. DCR?! [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an issue with my P1 pedals connecting earlier this year (dual sided pedals). The tech at PowerTap customer service was very helpful and talked me through the following to get the connection. In my case, only one pedal could connect (to both BT and ANT+).

1. Take off the battery cap, tease out the spring from inside of the cap. Use isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to clean the inside of the cap and also clean the whole spring.
2. Add a little 'oomph' to the spring. I used a fine set of pliers to grab the center part of the spring (the part that touches the battery) and used my fingers to slightly overstretch the spring. Only looking for a little extra pressure.
3. Reassemble -- use lithium batteries (probably best just to get new ones). Don't crank the cap on too tight -- overtightening can damage the inside of the pedal.

He sent me a new set of battery caps & springs. It's been a few months since the phone call took place, but I think he said that they had a bit of an issue with the spring supplier?? Don't quote me on that.

Good luck!
Quote Reply