Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoutout to Quintana Roo
Quote | Reply
some of you saw the article on building up a scott plasma premium. due to my bad planning i didn't realize (mainly by not taking into account labor day) that i couldn't ship this back to where its owner - sika henry - lived in virginia in time for her to take it on a plane to 70.3 worlds in chattanooga.

QR, hearing about this, said, "ship it here," so i did, and they accepted a competitor's bike, unboxed it, made it ride ready, and then when sika showed with no pedals (she thought i sent pedals), QR's owner, peter hurley, said, "take mine."

so, thank you QR. good company. its former owner was a bit of a stinker, but its current owner is a classy guy! here's the bike, the bike's owner, and QR's owner's pedals, at 70.3 worlds race headquarters.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Shoutout to Quintana Roo [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stuff like that makes me like the company. I hated the company under its former owner, he was a dick, but now they seem like good people...

;-P

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Shoutout to Quintana Roo [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
stuff like that makes me like the company. I hated the company under its former owner, he was a dick, but now they seem like good people... ;-P

exactly.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
stuff like that makes me like the company. I hated the company under its former owner, he was a dick, but now they seem like good people... ;-P

exactly.

Couldn't you get yellow stickers for Sika's wheels? Come on, man!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

exactly.

if you color coordinate it too much it slows the bike down. proven fact. look it up.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the former owner...

I was at a high school cross country invitational in Orange County in the late 80's. I decided to stop by the QR HQ in Santa Ana because I lusted after their bikes (though I couldn't afford one). I looked up the address in the phone book (no iPhones back then) and indeed paid them a visit. When I arrived, I was disappointed to learn that this address was their wetsuit manufacturing facility - boring! Nevertheless, the then-owner took me - a young and poor high school punk - on a tour of the facility and introduced me to a bunch of people. It was so cool. And I did get to see a few bikes as there were some stacked up by the front door, which, according to the owner, were some of the guys' commuter bikes (26" wheels, aerobars and all!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

exactly.

if you color coordinate it too much it slows the bike down. proven fact. look it up.

Seems legit...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

exactly.

Is that why I'm so slow?

I love my QR. I still have a circa 1996 TeQuilo in the basement :-).

Quote Reply
Re: Shoutout to Quintana Roo [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

exactly.

Is that why I'm so slow?

I love my QR. I still have a circa 1996 TeQuilo in the basement :-).

you must be brand loyal, because that looks more like a PR6 you're riding.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, that is pretty cool. Props to Peter and Quintana Roo.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike looks even better in the wild. Absolute Perfection.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but her seat's too high. Just sayin...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So at IM Chatty 70.3 I was walking out of transition with my QR Kilo, after the race, and this guy is standing there with a woman, both with QR PR6's and says "nice bike". I say "yeah, your bike is what mine wants to be when it grows up". And he says "I own the company, we've got them at a good price in our expo tent".

He owns the company, just raced Chatty, and is in sales mode. Blew.Me.Away.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

exactly.

Hilarious!!! Hey it's like this .. when it comes to sneakers, I go into the store and I say give me the Hoka Cliftons, size 9.5. They ask me what color. Doesn't matter. They all function the same ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Shoutout to Quintana Roo [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:

You'd be surprised how often I hear that about every bike I'm on. You'd also be surprised by how long my legs are in person. I'm a freak of nature in the long legs department. Believe it or not, Dan lowered my seat slightly from what I was previously riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
some of you saw the article on building up a scott plasma premium. due to my bad planning i didn't realize (mainly by not taking into account labor day) that i couldn't ship this back to where its owner - sika henry - lived in virginia in time for her to take it on a plane to 70.3 worlds in chattanooga.

QR, hearing about this, said, "ship it here," so i did, and they accepted a competitor's bike, unboxed it, made it ride ready, and then when sika showed with no pedals (she thought i sent pedals), QR's owner, peter hurley, said, "take mine."

so, thank you QR. good company. its former owner was a bit of a stinker, but its current owner is a classy guy! here's the bike, the bike's owner, and QR's owner's pedals, at 70.3 worlds race headquarters.

Last comment of the day .. since I just survived that hellish 70.3 course, it's way past my bed time, and I can't wait to see the men tomorrow....The folks at Quintana Roo were on another level of professional. Made me want to ride their bikes and rep their company. Efficient, friendly, and really went out of their way for EVERYONE who came up to their tent. Not just me. When I flipped out about not having pedals and Peter Hurley (president/ceo) overheard me and said "oh just take mine" .. I was taken back. Nothing but good things to say about those folks. Although they did say, "hey make sure you come back to this tent and return those pedals" ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Shoutout to Quintana Roo [Female AGr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Female AGr wrote:
gregn wrote:

You'd be surprised how often I hear that about every bike I'm on. You'd also be surprised by how long my legs are in person. I'm a freak of nature in the long legs department. Believe it or not, Dan lowered my seat slightly from what I was previously riding.

fyi, on this site, everyone's seat is too high. always. its a thing here.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply