Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 setup question
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on switching my Cannondale Slice from a 2x10 mechanical setup to a 1x10 Di2 setup. I've been reading up on Di2 and have a decent idea of what it requires (and what I'll need to do to the frame to enable it).

What I'm unclear on is the difference between bar end (TT-style) shifters and the satellite climbing shifters that some folks put on their road bikes. Do these work the same way, and functionally, are they interchangeable?
Meaning - fitment aside - can I use a single satellite shifter as the only shifter in a 1x Di2 setup? I'm asking because the satellites are considerably cheaper than the TT shifters, and I don't need a pair of the latter anyway. TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [engi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm not mistaken, the satellite shifters need to be plugged into a set of brifters.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I googled around some more, and it looks like the satellite/climbing shifter can indeed be used standalone, according to this page (scroll down to dedicated shifters).

Intriguing if true. I'm thinking of getting one of those and 3d printing an enclosure to fit on the end of an aerobar.
Last edited by: engi: Sep 7, 17 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one pictured is the old 9100 climbing shifter. 9150 has two remote versions: sprint and climbing shifters. The sprint need to be hooked into a road Di2 shifter, the climbing do not. The climbing are two pieces, each with one button that can be hooked into a four port junction box. Normally they go on the bar next to the stem so you can shift when climbing holding onto the bar near the stem. One button is to go up the cassette, the other down. They don't have a button for the fd. You can use multi shift with the new 9150 so that moving the position on the cassette automatically moves the fd so it is more like a 1x with the use of the fd. If you go 1x, obviously you don't need the multi shift.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [bluetreefour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluetreefour wrote:
The one pictured is the old 9100 climbing shifter. 9150 has two remote versions: sprint and climbing shifters. The sprint need to be hooked into a road Di2 shifter, the climbing do not. The climbing are two pieces, each with one button that can be hooked into a four port junction box. Normally they go on the bar next to the stem so you can shift when climbing holding onto the bar near the stem. One button is to go up the cassette, the other down. They don't have a button for the fd. You can use multi shift with the new 9150 so that moving the position on the cassette automatically moves the fd so it is more like a 1x with the use of the fd. If you go 1x, obviously you don't need the multi shift.

No, the climbing remote shifter pictured is of the 9070 generation. The 9150 DI2 transforms that switch into two separate switches.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
engi wrote:
I'm planning on switching my Cannondale Slice from a 2x10 mechanical setup to a 1x10 Di2 setup. I've been reading up on Di2 and have a decent idea of what it requires (and what I'll need to do to the frame to enable it).

What I'm unclear on is the difference between bar end (TT-style) shifters and the satellite climbing shifters that some folks put on their road bikes. Do these work the same way, and functionally, are they interchangeable?
Meaning - fitment aside - can I use a single satellite shifter as the only shifter in a 1x Di2 setup? I'm asking because the satellites are considerably cheaper than the TT shifters, and I don't need a pair of the latter anyway. TIA!

Satellite shifters can be used stand-alone. Same language basically as with Alfine Di2. The spint shifters are "dumb" and need a road brifter to transmit shift language. The TRP brake levers have an insert that allows Di2 "clmbing" shifter switches to be used in their hydro brake levers.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

SuperDave wrote:
engi wrote:

Satellite shifters can be used stand-alone. Same language basically as with Alfine Di2. The spint shifters are "dumb" and need a road brifter to transmit shift language. The TRP brake levers have an insert that allows Di2 "clmbing" shifter switches to be used in their hydro brake levers.

-SD

Perfect explanation, Dave. Thank you! I'm sticking with cable brakes, and it's a TT bike, so I'll just go with the "minimum viable" config :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question. I'm trying to come up with a custom way to add shifters to the brakes on my P5 whilst retaining the Magura, and for the love of everything holy, I can't find the "original cat eye remote button kit" that one was supposed to hack in order to accomplish this. Then, I found these 9150 buttons.

When you say "the sprint need to be hooked into a road Di2 shifter, the climbing do not", does this mean I can use this in a "stand alone" setting without the need to hack anything? just hooked it up to my 5-port junction and that's it?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they are the climbing buttons, yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I guess the only remaining question now is whether it would work with a 9070 FD/RD setup. I’ll let you guys now!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9070 stuff and 9150 stuff is compatible, no problem using your 9070 FR/RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup question [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Teixido,

I am in the same position, looking to upgrade my P5/Magura, and trying to find a solution to shift at the bullhorns, other than the"hack" that has been detailed in the past. While I am interested in testing out syncroshift, I am not happy about having to give up all front derailleur control and go with the R9150 Climbing shifters/R9160 TT combo.

My thought was to stick with the two button R671 shifters on the extensions, and somehow mount the R9150 climbing shifters by the brakes. I know that the brake shifters would offer only rear derailleur control (when not in syncro), but I am OK with that.

Does anyone know if this combination is viable, connecting the R671 shifters and the R9150 climbing shifters into the 5-port EW90?

Also, is it possible to program the DI2 such that it can shift as the SRAM E-Tap does (Rear Up left, Rear Down Right; Front when both buttons pushed at the same time). This would allow just the use of R9160's/R9150's and provide Front derailleur control as well. Figure the answer is NO on this one but thought I would ask.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if I was going 1x with di2, I would still use both brifters, and have the shop or myself update the shift pattern "A la e-tap" having the right side shift everything up and the left side shift everything down! this way you don't end up with an odd looking setup when you replace it a the left brifter with a brake only shifter and you can still make good use of the other lever.

essentially this is what I'm going to do with my bike 2x, have the right brifter shift everything to up to include the FD, and the left brifter shift the cassette and FD down!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
engi wrote:
I googled around some more, and it looks like the satellite/climbing shifter can indeed be used standalone, according to this page (scroll down to dedicated shifters).

Intriguing if true. I'm thinking of getting one of those and 3d printing an enclosure to fit on the end of an aerobar.
A single TT shifter is about $90-100 vs $80 for the climbing shifter. Is it worth making a custom enclosure to save $20?
(Oddly on Jenson USA the left one is $10 cheaper)

With Syncroshift I have considered having all my buttons mapped to simple up/down but occasionally syncro shift won't complete the shift to the big ring and I need to do a quick small ring/ big ring shift to get it up there. I was considering trying to put together a di2 system with syncro shift for my tri bike and only have one shifter to save money but if I need to be able to occasionally control the front derailleur independently I would definitely need a second shifter. (I like my 2X system)
Quote Reply