Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boyne City - crazy AG podium
Quote | Reply
I did the Olympic at Boyne City, MI yesterday. Good race, beautiful setting, tough course, well organized.

They do a small elite prize purse and also offer an AG purse. The men's podium was pretty impressive:

1. William Jones, 2017 USAT Olympic distance National Champ

2. Dan Stubleski, Kona overall AG winner (can't remember the year) and multiple 70.3 winner

3. Todd "the one and only" Buckingham, 2016 USAT Olympic distance National Champ

I had a decent race, and those dudes passed me on their second lap as I was starting the run. Very impressive to watch. Not sure there would be a faster AG podium outside of Nationals.

Also, Hunter Kemper was there for the second year in a row emceeing, taking pictures, etc. Super nice guy, great energy, very generous with his time. He even helped my 12 year old get out of his wetsuit in transition! I know this is ld news, but he is a great ambasssdor for our sport.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Boyne City - crazy AG podium [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! I hemmed and hawed about heading north this weekend but finally decided not to as everyone was burned out from driving back from Mont-Tremblant. I'm looking forward to racing shorter distances next year, preferably the up north events like Petoskey, Walloon Lake, and Boyne. I didn't realize the elite division was so strong... seems crazy for a random little tri like Boyne!
Quote Reply
Re: Boyne City - crazy AG podium [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walloon Lake? Interesting, didn't know they had a race there.

While Todd and Dan are both in-state, I have to assume the prize purse played some role in them being there.

My brother in law lives up there (Central lake, now Bellaire) and has always loved the East Jordan race in June. I hope to do it one day. Funky little local race, good community support, plenty of Northern Michigan hills for your riding and running pleasure.

My son did the sprint, his first non-kids race, and lost by a few minutes to my father-in-law. He really wants another crack, so I'd guess we'll be there next year.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! I hadn't heard of the East Jordan race. I might check it out next year. I love small races when a MOP racer like me has a shot for a podium. It makes the race more fun as there's no way for me to podium at the bigger in-state races.

I was talking to a buddy about the strength of the field... he's from out of state and I explained it to him as a chance for guys like that to basically have a paid for weekend up north. Odds are if those three guys show up to a small local race they are going to podium, might as well have a weekend up north paid for!

I believe this was the first year for Walloon Lake and I heard nothing but good things.

http://triwalloon.com

Congrats to your son! How badly does he want those few minutes back to beat Grandpa?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob Swartz and his wife with their charity Team Lucky 7 created and produce the Boyne City Triathlon. They do a great job and are true ambassadors for our sport!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happens when you start putting some decent money on the line. This was very common in Midwest a few years back. The pinnacle was probably when Dan Hedgecock was still an amatuer and you had the likes of many pros and top amateurs duking it out for a few bucks. David Thompson was a staple at nearly ever race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Boyne City - crazy AG podium [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly remember hearing those names - maybe reading a ST article about Thompson as well. They were up in your MN/ WI stomping grounds, right? Minneapolis?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I certainly remember hearing those names - maybe reading a ST article about Thompson as well. They were up in your MN/ WI stomping grounds, right? Minneapolis?

There were a bunch of staples at the time including: David Thompson, Hedgecock, and Devon Palmer were all up in Minnesota. Daniel Bretscher, Nathan White, Jeff Paul, Weslie Anderson, TJ, and Patrick Davies were in Iowa. You had guys like Mark Harms, myself, Blake Becker, Will Smith (Bevan D former training parter), Adam Bohach in Wisconsin. Starky of course from IL and Ryan Guiliano as well. Justin Roederer from Indiana. And then guys coming in from various places, maybe in route to race like Ironman Racine 70.3 or something else. Just always amazing when you put a little bit of money on the line who might show up.

Kind of reminds me of Gomez showing up at Des Moines triathlon this past weekend.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Des Moines have any money? Obviously not like Hy-Vee, but any? Maybe he was just reliving the glory of a Hy-Vee win.

Talking to Hunter at Boyne, he obviously had very fond memories of Hy-Vee!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
This happens when you start putting some decent money on the line. This was very common in Midwest a few years back. The pinnacle was probably when Dan Hedgecock was still an amatuer and you had the likes of many pros and top amateurs duking it out for a few bucks. David Thompson was a staple at nearly ever race.

We have everything in place for Rockford next year on August 5th and a prize purses as well. I'm not sure how you guys define 'decent money' but I recall you usually made the trip down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stacked race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Did Des Moines have any money? Obviously not like Hy-Vee, but any? Maybe he was just reliving the glory of a Hy-Vee win.

Talking to Hunter at Boyne, he obviously had very fond memories of Hy-Vee!

Yeah there was money as it is part of the Escape Series now. It was an official pro race, but still a guy like Gomez showing up to a race like that is a little crazy. Especially considering 70.3 worlds is this week.

Quote Reply
Re: Boyne City - crazy AG podium [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
Stacked race!

You would have added to that stacked-ness! You beat Todd at Grand Rapids, right?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, cool. I was also talking with Hunter (gotta drop that all I can) about that series. It would be great if that really turned into something like the Lifetime/ Toyota Cup was where big pros like Gomez were the norm. From a history point of view obviously that is a great one to include - plenty of epic moments there!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha thanks! I might have :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the solid blurb about the race Aaron. Glad you had a good time. I had a new race experience from the volunteer side. I'm good friends with Rob the RD and he has worked his butt off getting this race going and making it a unique experience. He said there were almost 300 racers this year so he's seen slow increase. I think he hits all the check boxes beyond the great venue. Prize $, food trucks, swag and having Hunter show up to small town Boyne is pretty special.

If any participants reading this would spread the word to keep growing our numbers that'd be appreciated. Always the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. No better place to be than up north!

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Re: Boyne City - crazy AG podium [Mc B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He definitely put on a good race - I'm sure we'll be back. I was a little surprised not to see you in the results, although I did see Dave Smith up towards the top. Rough crowd when a 2:05 on a hilly course with rough water only gets you 4th! Thanks for your involvement.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Boyne City - crazy AG podium [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

We have everything in place for Rockford next year on August 5th and a prize purses as well. I'm not sure how you guys define 'decent money' but I recall you usually made the trip down.

Been down to Rockford a few times. Love racing down there. Great venue in the park!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
dangle wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Been down to Rockford a few times. Love racing down there. Great venue in the park!!!

The state of IL has made using Rock Cut (state park) impossible for the last few years, so it's a new place. We're using a wakeboard park nearby and a very flat country road for riding. Too back about Rock Cut, it would make a FANTASTIC Xterra venue that's sorely needed in the area.
Quote Reply