Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Bike - Power Fade
Quote | Reply
This has happened to me twice now, most recently at IM Copenhargen a couple weeks ago.
Upto 140km on the bike I'm averaging 37km/hr. Into the second loop and I'm loosing the plot and my average at T2 for the 180km was 34km/hr.
I have changed my build training this year and stopped with the long 5-6 hour outdoor sessions.
I moved to an inner-city location so my "long bike" session comprises a very early Sunday start on my road bike before the traffic and 3/4 hours of circuits with some tasty hills/drags then home a straight on the trainer/TT bike for 90mins Interval work.
Mid-week I do either a 60/90/120 duration trainer/interval session depending on where I am building to the event.
So my power output has increased this season but I'm fading on race day.
It's not nutrition or bonking as a did a 3.45 marathon....
Is my new training plan wrong...??? Any advice welcome...ch
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bike - Power Fade [c'monvatu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c'monvatu wrote:
This has happened to me twice now, most recently at IM Copenhargen a couple weeks ago.
Upto 140km on the bike I'm averaging 37km/hr. Into the second loop and I'm loosing the plot and my average at T2 for the 180km was 34km/hr.
I have changed my build training this year and stopped with the long 5-6 hour outdoor sessions.
I moved to an inner-city location so my "long bike" session comprises a very early Sunday start on my road bike before the traffic and 3/4 hours of circuits with some tasty hills/drags then home a straight on the trainer/TT bike for 90mins Interval work.
Mid-week I do either a 60/90/120 duration trainer/interval session depending on where I am building to the event.
So my power output has increased this season but I'm fading on race day.
It's not nutrition or bonking as a did a 3.45 marathon....
Is my new training plan wrong...??? Any advice welcome...ch

This is very common among many triathletes but yes those longer 5-6 hour rides may actually help with this. You could also purposely start slower and try building into the event.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bike - Power Fade [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Thomas...I agree with you. Since I moved from a rural area I cannot safely get out on my TT race bike for long sessions. I guess I'll need to go longer on the trainer (Very boring...) thanks againđź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bike - Power Fade [c'monvatu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This can be summed up in one word SPECIFICITY. You aren't going to get good at riding 5-7 hours by not riding 5-7 hours. I did a video and podcast (IREP Triathlon Podcast on ITunes or Stiticher) on Training Plans and talked about some of the basic training principles and the phases of training that may be helpful in designing your Training Program moving forward. Good luck and train smart.

Best in Health,

Scott Proscia, BS ATC M.Ed ACSM-CPT
IRONMAN Certified Coach
Head Performance Coach
IREP Athletics / The Training Plan Source
http://www.TheTrainingPlanSource.com
http://www.IREPAtheltics.com
email - coach@TheTrainingPlanSource.com

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bike - Power Fade [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A sub 5 bike off just two bike sessions a week sounds very ambitious no matter how long those two sessions are.
Quote Reply