Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay Zero Pedals and Float
Quote | Reply
I have had speed play light action pedals for 6 years now and they have worked great for me. I recently bought the speed play zeros thinking they would be the same, but for some reason the float does not seem to be as much.

I have a wonky left leg and need all the float I can get, but the zeros hurt my leg even with the adjustment screws backed all the way out. I can see that the heel does not come out as much as the light action, but they both say 15 degrees of float. Has anyone else had this problem, is there anything I can do? I don't want to waste $144, my wife will kill me.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero Pedals and Float [PandP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same problem. Ended up switching back to X2s and eating the cost of the Zeroes.
Last edited by: Mike_P: Sep 2, 17 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's odd. With the screw all the way out wouldn't the heal of your shoe be hitting the chainstays? My feet have to come out too, or risk weird knee tracking. I have the float set as far as possible without hitting the chainstays. There's still plenty of adjustment left for toe out, but there's just no room to toe out any more.

I solved this years ago by inserting shims under the cleats to tilt the feet outward. Can you try that?

Edit: almost forgot. Speedplay has longer spindles for their pedals but they aren't available at the stores. Need to send the pedals to them to install a longer spindle.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Sep 2, 17 20:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assume you tried to adjust cleat position on shoe to accommodate heel out? There is a surprising amount of play/adjustability on the 3 bolt setup, not to mention the variability in the shoe mounts across brands. I have zero's on a new pair of Bonts and I had to close down the heel out screw past halfway due to mounting position.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero Pedals and Float [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Assume you tried to adjust cleat position on shoe to accommodate heel out? There is a surprising amount of play/adjustability on the 3 bolt setup, not to mention the variability in the shoe mounts across brands. I have zero's on a new pair of Bonts and I had to close down the heel out screw past halfway due to mounting position.
Right. For max toe out the cleats need to be installed all the way in.

Cleat in > shoe out > more room to toe out > if you need more room then you need a longer pedal spindle > if maximum toe out doesn't correct your problems then it's probably time to look at shimming the cleats.

Check this out:

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...OSITION2-500x666.jpg

Shoe on the left has a midfoot cleat placement. Shoe on the right has the cleat slammed to the inside, and you can see why. The toe out screw is almost all the way out.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero Pedals and Float [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need my heel out as much as possible, so I don't have a problem with the chainstays. Sometimes my toes rub the crank, but thats not too much of a problem.

I have tried moving the the mounts, but I can only get them to adjust forward and backward. I need them to adjust left and right. I'm trying to put them on a pair of shimano TR5s, which is suppose to fit the zeros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PandP wrote:
I have had speed play light action pedals for 6 years now and they have worked great for me. I recently bought the speed play zeros thinking they would be the same, but for some reason the float does not seem to be as much.

I have a wonky left leg and need all the float I can get, but the zeros hurt my leg even with the adjustment screws backed all the way out. I can see that the heel does not come out as much as the light action, but they both say 15 degrees of float. Has anyone else had this problem, is there anything I can do? I don't want to waste $144, my wife will kill me.

Did you mount the cleats with a torque tool? If you tighten the cleats too tight, you can restrict the float. Speedplay makes a 2Nm (or maybe it's 2.5Nm...) torque key that you should use to mount the cleats.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero Pedals and Float [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't have a torque tool, but I'm pretty sure I didn't tighten it too much. I could move my foot side to side very easily, but for some reason all of the movement was toward the bike and I need my heel to move out away from the bike.

I just decided to use the zero on my right pedal and the light action on my left. That might not be smart, but I did a time trial today for a race coming up in a few weeks and they seemed fine.
Quote Reply