Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please critique bike fit/position
Quote | Reply

rider info: 45yo, 195lbs, 6'0" tall, 32" inseam. typical Asian proportions of short legs/long torso.
Had a pro fit late last year after my first season doing a few sprints/oly and a HIM (had a basic fit previously)
still having minor trapezius soreness after longer (>3 hours) ride.
FTP has improved from 245 to 275 over the last year, so I think it's definitely good positioning as far as power.
40k TT was right at 1 hour (1/3 rolling hills)

Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your hips seem to be rocking.

What saddle are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just installed an ISM PR2.0 early this year, but I had an Adamo previously and kept the same coordinates.
Last edited by: srschick: Sep 1, 17 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srschick wrote:

rider info: 45yo, 195lbs, 6'0" tall, 32" inseam. typical Asian proportions of short legs/long torso.
Had a pro fit late last year after my first season doing a few sprints/oly and a HIM (had a basic fit previously)
still having minor trapezius soreness after longer (>3 hours) ride.
FTP has improved from 245 to 275 over the last year, so I think it's definitely good positioning as far as power.
40k TT was right at 1 hour (1/3 rolling hills)

2 things. first is easy. second, less so.

1. you're riding 55rpm. why is that? on a trainer one usually rides a faster cadence than on the road. i'd like to see you at 90rpm on the trainer, and 80 to 85 on the road.

2. the item above isn't going to cost you money. this item will. you have a hitch, a click, an impingement, something going on at the top of the pedal stroke. the reader above who says you look like you're rocking. he sees that too. i don't want you to raise your bars, but i want to stop that hitch. the only way i can think to do that is to go to smaller cranks, and i mean probably 10mm shorter than what you're riding.

i'm diagnosing this based on 1 video and knowing nothing else, so bear that in mind. also, do you ride with a PM? are you getting one? i ask because if you DO go to a shorter crank, think about everything you need before you get that crank. if you're thinking of a PM, that could inform your choice of crank (rotor, infocrank, pioneer).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I typically ride between 85-90 rpm on the road, right around 80185 on the trainer.

I thought going slower would allow you all to see it better, but I get what you're saying.
I can do another video at a better representative cadence.
Last edited by: srschick: Sep 1, 17 17:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And shoot this video with tight fitting clothes on. I don't see the hitch or impingement or rocking that these other guys see -- to me it just looks like you're uncomfortable on that saddle and moving around a lot. But it's also hard to actually see your hips with that dress you're wearing

Also, that helmet is slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am betting he just has the front of the seat a little high, it doesn't look forward tipped enough for an Adamo.
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
old seat was the Adamo, new one I'm on now is PR2.0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The saddle that you are using now is basically the same as an Adamo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
[
2. the item above isn't going to cost you money. this item will. you have a hitch, a click, an impingement, something going on at the top of the pedal stroke. the reader above who says you look like you're rocking. he sees that too. i don't want you to raise your bars, but i want to stop that hitch. the only way i can think to do that is to go to smaller cranks, and i mean probably 10mm shorter than what you're riding.

i'm diagnosing this based on 1 video and knowing nothing else, so bear that in mind. also, do you ride with a PM? are you getting one? i ask because if you DO go to a shorter crank, think about everything you need before you get that crank. if you're thinking of a PM, that could inform your choice of crank (rotor, infocrank, pioneer).

Already using 170 cranks, as recommended by the fitter. Still think I should go lower?
I use Vector2 pedals, so wouldn't be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the hitch has to do with the unnatural cadence? I'd like to see a video with candence at 90 rpms and tight fitting clothing before saying he definitely needs shorter cranks.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short cranks usually means 165mm or shorter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely right on the short cranks. Off the bike work on those hips will help too.
Fighting for open hips can be seen in the hips themselves trying to make room at the top of the pedal stroke as well as quite a bit of muscle engagement on the pads and bars. The rider appears to be pulling on the bars to help make that room - you can see this in the sliding around up front.
If you're dealing with what a tailor would refer to as a forward stomach :-) Sram makes 162.5 and Rotor goes down to 155 - no loss of power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an updated video while wearing Tri-kit and normal cadence. I've adjusted the saddle down a bit, rails are level now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much did you lower the saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really bad and I mean terrible

Do you know what is your bottom bracket / cranks measurements?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cranks are 170, not quite sure what you mean by BB measurment
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
didn't lower, just angled nose down 1 degree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
It's really bad and I mean terrible

can you explain what you see is terrible?
I'll admit, my hip and back flexibility sucks (I sit at a desk all day) Trying to work on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your position is "ok"--neither terrible nor good. You're clearly getting some results with it.
I wonder if you seat isn't still a touch too high. You toe-point at the bottom of the stroke, which isn't a problem itself but indicates maybe you're still too high. Might be worth playing around 5 mm at a time and see if you find it more comfortable.
It doesn't look like you're that comfortable on the saddle. Might be your bars are too close and that if you pushed the bars out, your hips would rotate forward a little more. Or, you need another saddle.
Dan's crank comment I would listen to. He's pretty knowledgeable about these things. ;-)
You seem to be straining your neck a bit. Probably due to your hunching your back. Possibly another indication you are too compact in your cockpit.
My 2 cents. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your input.
I'm going to lower the seat height incrementally and see how that works. Also will move the saddle back and/or the cockpit out a bit and see how that feels.
Most likely I'll try to find some 6800 165mm crankarms. anything lower will require an altogether different crankset thus a greater investment which I can't do right now.
Last edited by: srschick: Sep 8, 17 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srschick wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input.
I'm going to lower the seat height incrementally and see how that works. Also will move the saddle back and/or the cockpit out a bit and see how that feels.
Most likely I'll try to find some 6800 165mm crankarms. anything lower will require an altogether different crankset thus a greater investment which I can do right now.

Only because I recall knowing your general location from our conversation previous, and well the kit is from Big Shark :).... Head over to Swim Bike Run in Chesterfield and get on the GURU. Todd is the man, he'll get you where you need to be.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique bike fit/position [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually... I was in the SBR store last week and saw the GURU rig and that's what got me thinking my fit needs some help.
My initial fit was with Tim Rey at Maplewood Cycles. He came highly recommended, but the fit seemed... rushed and not as "scientific" as I expected.

The settings I have now are not intolerable, I did an 80 miler a few weeks back without much discomfort and stayed aero most of the flats.
But it's obvious I need improvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srschick wrote:
Actually... I was in the SBR store last week and saw the GURU rig and that's what got me thinking my fit needs some help.
My initial fit was with Tim Rey at Maplewood Cycles. He came highly recommended, but the fit seemed... rushed and not as "scientific" as I expected.

The settings I have now are not intolerable, I did an 80 miler a few weeks back without much discomfort and stayed aero most of the flats.
But it's obvious I need improvement.

Sure, I've heard good things about Maplewood. Still have yet to get to that shop. I have gone through 3 fits locally, the GURU by far was the best of my investments with the most positive results, I've been riding my fit for almost 18 months and have taken it through rides up to 120 miles and tri's from sprint to Ironman with the ability to stay in aero for most of the time (70.3 and up I usually need a stretch or two, thank goodness for bottle exchanges).

I'm going in the week of the 18th actually for a reassessment because I've grown so comfortable to what I currently ride, I feel I can actually drop a bit more up front - I've been tucking more in what feels like an unnatural fashion to get lower to my bars and have not lost power while doing it so I feel it's time for a check up.

Anyhow, if you're interested in the process you're welcome to come up there while I'm doing my fit just to watch and see how it works. I can introduce you to Todd, he's great for Q&A and talk is free right?

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply