Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon stem bars slipping. ST suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I have an awesome set of new Enve aerobars and have a carbon stem. Torque values are 4-6 nm, and at that value the bars pop and slip down when I hit a bump. Mechanic here is really impossible to get to, so I was wondering if any of you have any quick fixes? I remember in the old days using toothpaste to add some grab between dissimilar surfaces. As I don't have quick access to carbon paste, thoughts? Thanks in advance....
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon stem bars slipping. ST suggestions? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would tighten the bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon stem bars slipping. ST suggestions? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would tighten the bolts.

Past the recommended values?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tighten bolts until they feel right.

You might want to try a different stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there dried locktite on the bolts? Assume you are using a torque wrench and perhaps not actually getting compression reflective of 6NM if there is sufficient friction in thread interface. Also assume you are tightening down in a "ordered" fashion for even distribution of clamping...get some paste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I tighten bolts until they feel right.

You might want to try a different stem.

Thanks. Can't just use any stem, as it's a Blue Triad. Different bolt pattern so not any stem will fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer seems to obviously be carbon paste, or perhaps some substitute like toothpaste (which I have not used for that purpose). You say you don't have access to carbon paste, but surely you can get access to it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You absolutely need carbon paste. I don't think it's optional for carbon bars. I had the same problem on my bike at the recommended torque, but carbon paste solved it instantly at the correct torque.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon stem bars slipping. ST suggestions? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
The answer seems to obviously be carbon paste, or perhaps some substitute like toothpaste (which I have not used for that purpose). You say you don't have access to carbon paste, but surely you can get access to it?

I'm sure I can get some, but trying to get out soon. Seems my mechanic is riding more than working lately......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon fiber paste via amazon: https://www.amazon.com/...eywords=carbon+paste
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon stem bars slipping. ST suggestions? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
You absolutely need carbon paste. I don't think it's optional for carbon bars. I had the same problem on my bike at the recommended torque, but carbon paste solved it instantly at the correct torque.

Thanks. Sounds like I'd better see if I can run some down before the end of the day. I appreciate all the help to all that chimed in.

Gary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Thanks for the help. After having most of my bike rebuilt, I'm amazed how much wasn't addressed by the mechanics that worked on it. Looks like I better do some checking into more areas of concern.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Carbon paste is not necessary on most carbon bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquanet hair spray. I have also made shims out of beer cans when I had similar problem with carbon post on carbon frame. Worked well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What torque wrench are you using? I had bars slip until I bought a better torque wrench. Never used friction paste anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon stem bars slipping. ST suggestions? [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
What torque wrench are you using? I had bars slip until I bought a better torque wrench. Never used friction paste anywhere.

Have a Craftsman one and also did use a Park.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Carbon paste is not necessary on most carbon bars.

Yeah, we know that YOU always go without carbon paste.

Care to share what you'd then recommend to the OP? Overtorquing his carbon? Doing it by feel? We're all ears.

Carbon paste, on the other hand costs <$10 and will solve the problem immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't always go without carbon paste.

Since the OP can't switch to an aluminum stem, I would suggest that he get some carbon paste.
Quote Reply