Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running on percocet?
Quote | Reply
My hand got broken today. My pinky and ring finger knuckles look more like ankles. Good times!

Anyway, ivd got some percocet, i only take half so i can still function. Is there any issue with running? I forgot to ask the doc.

Im only running right now and training for a bq attempt so i tend to get really crabby if i miss a run. But clearly my health is more important so if is a problem, i can try and gut out the pain first thing in the am before taking my med. I cant imagine ill need much more than ibuprophen in a few days anyway.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Running on percocet? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not a great idea. Run first then take your percocet.

Put it this way, do you drink beer (or any cognitive impairing agent) before you run. Some do. . .I know. The opioid can cause confusion and affect timing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine running while ON Percocet....I'm jello after one of those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, percocet can impair your judgement. Dangerous when crossing the streets when needing to judge traffic situations. use the bike trainer inside instead. Substituting a few runs for rides won't ruin your fitness, but getting hit by a car will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Test your balance while on them, like maybe with a one legged stand. Also test your mental ability by doing something like balancing your checkbook or something else where you need to concentrate real hard. If you can do things like that with no problem then it's probably OK to run. The stuff affects everyone different.

When I had my kidney stones I got so bored being off work that I had to do something. After several days I was used to functioning with the Vicodin I was taking so I headed out on the bike. Got in some really good rides the last two weeks before I finally had them busted up by the lithotropsy machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect it's highly individual. I can take fairly high doses (at one point I was taking two 5/325s every four hours) with no apparent affect other than some pain reduction, of course. You may react differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened?!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Running on percocet? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
What happened?!

Someone was careless and precariously perched a peice of steel tubing above me and it fell on my hand. It was one of those surprising injuries that didnt really hurt initially. On the way to get x rays is when the pain kicked in.

Quote Reply
Re: Running on percocet? [Ex-Rower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-Rower wrote:
I suspect it's highly individual. I can take fairly high doses (at one point I was taking two 5/325s every four hours) with no apparent affect other than some pain reduction, of course. You may react differently.

If i take a whole one, i fall asleep. 1/2 and it feels about the same as 1 glass of wine. I feel it, but still in control. While i appreciate the other posters concern about not being aware or alert enough, thats not the case at all. I was more concerned about kidney or liver damage etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just pain. The Percocet won't help with healing. Don't take them if you want to run or take them after you have finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry :-(

how many breaks? surgery?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Running on percocet? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I'm so sorry :-(

how many breaks? surgery?

Just my knuckles where my fingers meet the hand. Not bad enough for surgery. Honestly im happy its just my hand and not my foot! Id be super bummed if i couldnt run right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Running on percocet? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
It's just pain. The Percocet won't help with healing. Don't take them if you want to run or take them after you have finished.

Thats what i tried today. Just 800s but holy crap it was not fun. It throbbed but wasnt enough to stop. Ill use that reminder when im hurting late in my marathon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you let yourself do opiates?

Personally- my answer is "never."

So I would take advantage of it!

What better way to celebrate than with a run.

Screw the naysayers.
If you listened to them you would never do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc here...it's a bad idea, masking pain can cause all kinds of issues and potentially worsen injuries. If it hurts to bad too continue that's you body smartly saying chill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are percocets vegan?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Running on percocet? [kittenmittons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kittenmittons wrote:
Doc here...it's a bad idea, masking pain can cause all kinds of issues and potentially worsen injuries. If it hurts to bad too continue that's you body smartly saying chill.

I get that, but im asuming the throbbing is from an increase in bp, no? And how much could running make my hand worse? Its not like im trying to mask a stress fracure in my legs.

Quote Reply
Re: Running on percocet? [clogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clogs wrote:
are percocets vegan?

I pick the meat out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No throbbing is probably from a ton of inflammation in increased blood-flow to the area. If they're non-displaced fractures, you're probably not going to make it worse, but then you should be able to tolerate the pain without pain killers. If they're displaced fractures, yes you will make it worse...I've seen athletes do tremendous damage to themselves on pain killers, because the don't have that natural feed back loop. If you really want to run, I'd rec trying to tough it out without them--if you can--and then take them when you're done and resting.
Last edited by: kittenmittons: Aug 31, 17 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a more serious note....

I broke my collarbone.

I found that (almost immediately) I could swim with one arm, ride on a trainer, and run (uphill on a treadmill with my arm in a sling).

There is probably no need to skip training.
But also no need to trash yourself either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kittenmittons wrote:
No throbbing is probably from a ton of inflammation in increased blood-flow to the area. If they're non-displaced fractures, you're probably not going to make it worse, but then you should be able to tolerate the pain without pain killers. If they're displaced fractures, yes you will make it worse...I've seen athletes do tremendous damage to themselves on pain killers, because the don't have that natural feed back loop. If you really want to run, I'd rec trying to tough it out without them--if you can--and then take them when you're done and resting.

Non displaced. Not a full cast. More of a splint thing.im not worried about making the injury worse. Most of the pain now is much better and only bad when i manage to clumsily bump it on something.

Quote Reply