Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Effort at altitude (training) translating to effort at sea level (racing) - is this a problem?
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if this is really a problem, but I feel like it's a *thing*. Say you train (live) at altitude and you become really good at training with perceived effort. Then you go down to sea level to race. How is your perception of effort affected? Probably for short/fast races, not at all (you're just going all out anyway). But what about long distances, where you have to be more careful about parsing out your resources over many hours?

I'd be interested in hearing from people who train/live at altitude, and how they feel their perception of effort changes at sea level where things feel 'easier'.
Quote Reply
Re: Effort at altitude (training) translating to effort at sea level (racing) - is this a problem? [Hatsack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I notice a difference running - same pace while PE is less, this only seems to last a few days, though technically the physical adaptations should last a few weeks - until the RBCs have been replaced, if I understand correctly.

I don't feel much different on the bike - perhaps because the air is denser?? Following because I'll be doing my first IM in a couple months at about 5000' less than I train at.
Quote Reply
Re: Effort at altitude (training) translating to effort at sea level (racing) - is this a problem? [Hatsack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use to race bikes, lived and raced at sea level. Went and lived in Colorado for a couple of months at altitude, thought I'd come back noticeably stronger. But not really, I remember seeming like I lacked the top end power. Couldn't respond to surges and short climbs, etc as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to play around with this little calculator. I takes into account, in addition to rider weight and road gradient, the effects of decreased oxygen pressure on FTP, and decreased air density on speed:

http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/EffectsOfAltitude.aspx
Quote Reply