Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tetanus shot and peak training?
Quote | Reply
OK, my Doc thinks I am really due for a Tetanus update....

Thing is I am in a heavy training block right now and know what a vaccination can do to your body....

Right now I am trending towards sitting it out until Taper comes around, but I am interested in experiences, opinions.

Thanks!
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 29, 17 21:17
Quote Reply
Re: Tetanus shot and peak training? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would certainly not do it during a taper.
I would do it earlier in a training block.
Yeah, arm hurts for a few days, suck it up buttercup.
I get one once a year, the joys of working with livestock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello windschatten and All,

Good to have .... never know when you may find it useful after a crash .... or .....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25877510

Excerpt:

"Preconditioning the immune system with a tetanus/diphtheria toxoid significantly improved the effectiveness of dendritic cell immunotherapy and extended overall survival in a small, randomized study of patients with glioblastoma."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one a few weeks ago and your arm will be pretty sore for a few days but other than that you shouldn't feel anything else. It's obviously not very ideal for swimming and generally just uncomfortable. Unless you really need it ASAP (meaning you cut yourself on a dirty piece of metal) I think it would probably be better to wait a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tetanus shot and peak training? [Frenchietries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't HAVE to get it in the arm. I got my last one in my butt cheek---6 weeks ago after getting up-close and WAAAY too personal with an angle grinder.

By the way....I don't understand getting close to "needing" a booster. At 49 years old, I have NEVER, EVER made it to the 10 year booster date without an injury worthy of early administration. What kind of sheltered life is this? This most recent cycle was the longest...I made it 6 years. Go me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I've had a tetanus shot I think 3 times now. My body didn't notice anything after. Do different people react to it differently?
Quote Reply
Re: Tetanus shot and peak training? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?!) not given that option haha they shot me in the arm before I could say anything!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hold off until after your race. I got a tetanus booster and pneumonia vaccine at the same time 2 weeks ago right before a heavy training block, and it was awful. That night I alternated between fever and chills, and for the next 4 days I could hardly move my arm. Even climbing on the bike hurt it. When the pain in my arm went away I ended up with a cold that further impacted my training for another 7 days.

Obviously not everyone reacts the same, and I also got a different vaccine on top of the tetanus one.. So your experience might be better if you decide to get it now.

Fourth year Elite.
- AP Racing Team
- Dimond Bikes
- Strava
- Insta
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
I was unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?!) not given that option haha they shot me in the arm before I could say anything!

Butt cheek is always the better option, when available. Larger muscle mass to absorb the material == less pain. That's both less burning sensation at the time of injection and less soreness the days following.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was sore a few days. Had my Tet booster on my left and my Hep in the right.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in (I work in infectious disease and also operate a travel clinic, which we give a lot of vaccines).

If you are past due, I'd get it ASAP. I would probably do it where the next day is a easy/recovery day. Everyone has a different response. The majority of my patients just have a sore arm or no complaints at all. Next common would be some low grade temperatures and maybe some mild body aches. Fevers and chills can happen but are rare and only last a few days at most. I personally think it's important especially since I've had cuts and scrapes during races.

If you were to wait, I would wait until you are recovered from your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Tetanus shot and peak training? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
I'll chime in (I work in infectious disease and also operate a travel clinic, which we give a lot of vaccines).

If you are past due, I'd get it ASAP. I would probably do it where the next day is a easy/recovery day. Everyone has a different response. The majority of my patients just have a sore arm or no complaints at all. Next common would be some low grade temperatures and maybe some mild body aches. Fevers and chills can happen but are rare and only last a few days at most. I personally think it's important especially since I've had cuts and scrapes during races.

If you were to wait, I would wait until you are recovered from your race.

Appreciate it.

That was my thought too.....wait until after the race...
I have had poor reactions to Vacs before (hypervigilant immune system).

I guess every time I went to the ER / Urgent Care / Physical, I turned them down and didn't exactly remember....so now I am apparently 'overdue' (>10 years).

My PCP "Oh by the way, I signed you up" finally sneaked it in last week when he pulled my latest sutures.
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 30, 17 22:49
Quote Reply