Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit with trainer power meter?
Quote | Reply
Okay, it is now off season for me. Am reading to see if I can use tools with my Velotron to play with things for bike fit. Saddle height, crank length or any other thing I can move around.

What I want to do is setup a process on the trainer, so when I change something, I am collecting results that would translate into a faster bike split in a race.

So all you bike experts I am all ears.

Some are being fitted using a power meter, change something, and see what the power meter does at the same rpm.

Some are saying a power meter has no value and to use other stuff.

So since I am no expert, I just continue to ask questions. For you experts they may sound dumb, but for me, ...

Again, what I am trying to do is setup my trainer, using sw I can run, to give me a number. Then make a change and see if this number goes up or down.
What is the correct sw to use? What is the correct number to collect?

Most fitters I see just use their experience, which is one way to go. I am looking for something I or anyone else ideally could setup on our smart trainers and get numbers to have something to compare against..

Maybe I am asking the impossible, but if it is possible, seems this group would be the correct place to ask.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit with trainer power meter? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't think a power meter is all that useful for a bike fit. I like to rely on feel (does it feel more powerful and is it comfortable/sustainable) more than anything. I can see where you may want to confirm it with a number but I think this is rather difficult and too dependent on other things (eg; current training load).

Aren't you located somewhat close to slowman? I would be reaching out to him for a bike fit. He'll get you where you need be much more efficiently compared to doing it on your own. Bike fit it part science, part art IMO. The art is where you need a well trained and experienced fitter.

And if you are going to experiment with shorter cranks again:

- raise saddle (not lower)
- saddle back
- raise pads
- pads back

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit with trainer power meter? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I really don't think a power meter is all that useful for a bike fit. I like to rely on feel (does it feel more powerful and is it comfortable/sustainable) more than anything. I can see where you may want to confirm it with a number but I think this is rather difficult and too dependent on other things (eg; current training load).

Aren't you located somewhat close to slowman? I would be reaching out to him for a bike fit. He'll get you where you need be much more efficiently compared to doing it on your own. Bike fit it part science, part art IMO. The art is where you need a well trained and experienced fitter.

And if you are going to experiment with shorter cranks again:

- raise saddle (not lower)
- saddle back
- raise pads
- pads back

I wish that were true. He is many hours down south from me. Dan, want to come to stay at my place and you can tell me all the things I have wrong with bike fit. Then it would be great if somehow we could use the tools with the velotron to have something better than what feels good?

Yep, if I go to shorter cranks, I need to raise the seat. I am just having some folks tell me my seat is too lower so losing power in my legs. I have a bad back so I can only get over so far.

Since my season is over, I am all ears to trying some things to see if they make any difference next year. I did try one year going to 175 cranks, but that did not seem to improve anything, even though I still had not gotten a bike fit from anyone.

Oh well, just a hobby but. Now, looking at maybe getting a new bike with nicer parts seems like fun. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a video of you riding in aero (from the side). Then let's go from there.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit with trainer power meter? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Post a video of you riding in aero (from the side). Then let's go from there.

Okay, will try to do. Why not let folks beat me up more. Need to wait until my bikes get back from Penticton so I try somehow to either use this,
or make sure my velotron is setup exactly the same, or it would not be a good starting point.

BUT, I still am hoping, since I know some bike fitters do, use a power meter in their fitting process. I just ideally am hoping that with a smart trainer,
one can use some sw to get some numbers. But, I maybe out to lunch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I did one year try to go to 175 cranks"...... please, please, please tell me that you went from 180 to 175 and that was the direction you were headed.

Also, more to the point....Dave you were there at the Road Show in nor cal...was it Rocklin? You know our process. Steve's advice is sound: make alterations for comfort and let some of that comfort speak to greater power. A dynamic fit bike is far better suited for revealing those positive changes than a Velotron.

When Dan and I are fitting we do fit with power. Power is utilized in two ways:
1) We set the resistance at a pretty low level for the early trails and as the bike fit progresses towards a best position the power has to be increased as the riders cadence starts to climb.
2) Once we've found an excellent spot, we ask the athlete what their race wattage is. We set the resistance to that effort and have 'em roll for 7-10min and during that time we can perfect the cockpit distance, the arm pad elevation, the saddle height, the saddle set back, and all the rest.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply