Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gwen's 2016 Rio Power File [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
i think the constant spurts she made on the bike eventually took their toll on her as she was zapped on the last K of the run.
---

I think trying to hang with Gwen on the first 8k of the run is what really fried them for the last k of the run.

why? spirig ran 33:41 on a flat 10K in london. gwen ran 34:09 on a flat 10K in rio (and that was with a blazing 9th K so the pace was actually much slower up to the point spirig cracked). spirig did not crack at the end of the run because the first 8K was blazing fast and destroyed her. she also wasn't "hanging" with gwen on the run as she lead for a lot of the first 8K and parts of it were on the slower side and rather tactical.

Seriously? She out runs every-one in every race. Gwen executed a perfect race and won the Gold. At the end of the day - that's what separates the great winners from the great racers.

I'd bet she could have dropped spirig early if she wanted, but probably had more fun letting spirig "think" she had a chance until the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's 2016 Rio Power File [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
mag900 wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
i think the constant spurts she made on the bike eventually took their toll on her as she was zapped on the last K of the run.
---

I think trying to hang with Gwen on the first 8k of the run is what really fried them for the last k of the run.

why? spirig ran 33:41 on a flat 10K in london. gwen ran 34:09 on a flat 10K in rio (and that was with a blazing 9th K so the pace was actually much slower up to the point spirig cracked). spirig did not crack at the end of the run because the first 8K was blazing fast and destroyed her. she also wasn't "hanging" with gwen on the run as she lead for a lot of the first 8K and parts of it were on the slower side and rather tactical.

Seriously? She out runs every-one in every race. Gwen executed a perfect race and won the Gold. At the end of the day - that's what separates the great winners from the great racers.

I'd bet she could have dropped spirig early if she wanted, but probably had more fun letting spirig "think" she had a chance until the end.

i seriously think you need help. the other poster who claimed it was not the hardest bike course in ITU history (and spirig's repeated sprints from the front of the bike) but a rather slow first 8k of the run (i am sure he had no idea what the run splits were) that blew up spirig clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. now you chime in with some nonsense about how gwen was just looking for some "fun" on the run. that race couldn't have been anything further from fun for her. that race the culmination of 4 years of extremely training and sacrifice and extremely nerve wracking. she also didn't "outrun" spirig the previous time they had race -- london 2012 -- but i am sure you missed the specifics of that race too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to you but to people in general.

The first 8K was slow? Slow enough that they ran away from the rest of the field. Yes, there was some slow moments but the first 8K wasn't slow compared to the rest of the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct. The part about having fun should have been in pink.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's 2016 Rio Power File [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, here is what the duo said I believe a week after the event in a triathlete article.

The two exited the swim side by side and left T1 together. Then Spirig set out onto the bike course with a purposeful tactic. “I think I’m one of the fittest athletes in the field on tired legs, and my goal on the bike was to make everyone tired,” she says. “I think I achieved that goal. Gwen was right there as well. She had to cover a few attacks from me and she did very well.” “Nicola was pushing it on the bike, and we have her to thank a lot for gaining so much time on that chase pack,” Jorgensen says. “She put her head in the wind for a lot of it.”

Read more at http://www.triathlete.com/...#iylhszbOIWuQeOxE.99

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's 2016 Rio Power File [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
ITU racing isn't about average power. You have to handle the repeated spikes and that is what is blows people out of the back of the pack and shreds run legs.

This.

Anybody thinking Gwen's data is 'unimpressive' based on average power needs to try this type of racing. At the Montreal ITU race a few weeks ago, there were more than forty (40!!!) 90- or 180-degree turns in the space of 20k on the bike. This obviously meant a lot of braking, followed by a big effort spike to stay on the wheel in front of you. On the run course, I felt so wretchedly miserable I considered quitting the sport. This is a way, way different game that a sustained individual bike effort.

^^ And all this again. Exactly, They are not just riding along in a straight line and getting into a rhythm and rolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's 2016 Rio Power File [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look solely at NP your right this isnt that impressive. Have you opened the file though and look at the number of 450+ watt spikes per lap? This is going to drive down the NP while still making this a VERY hard ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen's 2016 Rio Power File [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even better, how many on this thread can match 1:56 to the tape? Please raise your hands.

Last edited by: JustinNorCal: Aug 24, 17 12:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next