Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Redshift Extensions
Quote | Reply
Short story: anyone know anything about or use RedShift extensions? If so, do you like them? Are they good quality?

Long story: I've been toying with several different extensions this season to try and see what I find most comfortable (for me) for long course racing. I raced last year with the Profile T5 extensions that came with the bike but always found them too short and I wanted more rise. So far this year I've ridden a few months with Zipp Vuka Evo 70s and another few months with the Vuke Evo 110s. Between the two I found the 70s more comfortable, but the most comfortable extensions I've ever had were Vision ski bends on my previous tri bike (which is now my trainer bike). So I'm looking for some long (360 mm or longer) ski bend extensions to try. I can't find Zipp Vula Alumina ski bends for sale anymore and don't think the carbon version is worth the higher price. TriSports has good prices on RedShift ski bends (368 mm and 100 mm rise), but I don't know anything about RedShift products.

On a related note if anyone is looking for some lightly used extensions I'll be posting several pairs to the classifieds once I finally settle on a set.
Quote Reply
Re: Redshift Extensions [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the extensions (and seatpost) and am a fan, but don't have anything with which to compare them. They seem well engineered and constructed and customer support is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them and I like them. They were exactly what I was looking for a cheaper then most other companies. I have no complaints, 2 races seasons on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, the quick release feature is nice, but also means you can't mount them quite as low or as narrow as some.
Quote Reply
Re: Redshift Extensions [trifantasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll give them a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used the Redshift system in ITU races? I've asked Redshift about being approved for ITU. They said that USAT has approved them but they don't have an answer from ITU. I do have a question to ITU outstanding but have not heard a response.

I ask because I am doing both Duathlons at the Worlds in Denmark. For the draft legal race it's road-bike only. I'm not too keen on time-trialing 40K on a road bike for the Standard race and would like a tribike-like position, if possible. I also don't want to lug a second bike with me.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Redshift Extensions [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry but I don’t know about their approval for ITU racing. I really like the extensions though and RedShift was always quick to get back to me when I had questions. Hopefully ITU gets back to you soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Brian,
A good friend of mine (who goes very very fast) has been using them for a few years and he loves them. They are definitely worth trying.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
Sorry but I don’t know about their approval for ITU racing. I really like the extensions though and RedShift was always quick to get back to me when I had questions. Hopefully ITU gets back to you soon.

Thanks.

I did ping Redshift and they were very helpful. They indicated that USAT had approved the system but they did not have formal approval from ITU. I think I'll bite the bullet and just make sure I meet the saddle offset limitations.
Quote Reply
Re: Redshift Extensions [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In case any one is interested, ITU did respond that the Redshift seatpost is allowed as long as the saddle position complies to the ITU position rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a set on my wife's bike that she keeps at her parents (they're a few 1000 miles away so having an extra set of bikes there makes sense). They a bit clunky and heavy, but it's really nice to be able to remove the extensions with you don't need them. If you intend to remove them frequently, then yes, they're good. If you intend to keep them on the bike most of the time, I wouldn't get them, there's better options.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Redshift Extensions [Jonathan Blyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize I didn't mention in my earlier reply that I ended up ordering a pair of Red Shift ski bends at the end of last season. I was going to get the aluminum version but they gave me an incredible deal on a "blemished" pair of the carbon extensions (plus the aluminum extensions didn't have slots for internal cable routing). I love the extensions and am really comfortable on them:

Since I got them so late in the season I only had had a chance to race on them once, and it was a local sprint with only 67 finishers, but I managed to set the course bike record and took first overall by more than 5 minutes (in a sprint!).
Quote Reply