Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any advice on packing a Gen2 Speed Concept into travel case
Quote | Reply
We flew my wife's Gen 1 Speed Concept all over the world and had a good system to break it down. Now that she's moved on the a Gen 2 SC 9.9 where the mono front end is a good bit different I'm wondering about the best way to break it down to fit in a Trico Sports Ironcase Bike Case. She's running conventional cable actuated derailleurs rather than a wired Di system which would appear to possibly make things harder. It appears that if I pull the 3 hex bolts under the mono stem I ought to be able to lay the bars and stem over to fit in the case. I know the front brake cable needs to be released to give up some slack.

Any hints from those who are flying with their Gen2 SC?

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on packing a Gen2 Speed Concept into travel case [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Hugh,

Not apples to apples but just did this for the first time for this bike for IMLP from CA. I used a Pika with a 58cm so space was tight, you may have more room. Things I did:

1) 3 bolt removal of base bar
2) For me subsequent disconnect of Di2 for mono extensions (BTA cage removal)
3) Shark fin removed
4) Front brake cover and pop out of wedge
5) Seat with seatpost removed along with behind the seat cage
6) Pedal removed
7) Speedbox removed
8) Fork and rear triangle supports used
9) RD removed and strapped between chain stays
10) Wheels in bags with plastic protectors facing out
11) Lots of pipe insulation and velcro

Here is a pic and tip for Pika owners is to place bike in and use gravity to assist by standing case on end to makes sure bike settles in posterior as the lower stem assembly on front end is the literal long pole of the tent and closure of case is challenging.

No issues despite TSA opening case (both ways) and not tying all of the closures back up.

Cheers.

Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on packing a Gen2 Speed Concept into travel case [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KTM,

Thanks! hadn't considered removing the shark fin but it's quick and easy to do and one less thing for TSA to break.

I'm actually most interested in hearing from those who have conventionally cabled derailleurs as I'm worried about the cables interfering with how the bars will rotate and fit. Your picture does give me hope.

We'll see how it goes this Sunday.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on packing a Gen2 Speed Concept into travel case [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great list, I'd add two things.

Fork and rear dropout frame insert/blocks.

Remove the rear derailleur hanger with the rear derailleur. (I never used to do that and had three broken/cracked hangers)
Quote Reply