Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [8/18/17 Update!]
Quote | Reply
My old Quarq Cinqo Saturn is out of warranty. I sent it in to quarq and they don't have any 3-bolt replacements but were trying to sell me a new dZero with arms that I don't need.

Issue: Connects for 10 seconds to 10 minutes then drops signal and won't reconnect. I have tried cleaning battery contacts and leaving battery out overnight and it keeps dropping. It stopped working corectly after I replaced the battery 3 weeks ago

Where to start?

Looks like the same issues as these people were having except mine is out of warranty too far and they won't repair it.

Other similar stories.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjcppXyoNrVAhVD04MKHdYKD8kQFgg7MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftailwind-coaching.com%2F2013%2F04%2F19%2Fquarq-warranty-experience-part-deux%2F&usg=AFQjCNGnFOGG4Em9VTXTxrX4TPvpYy6t7A

and

http://www.bikeforums.net/...ustomer-service.html

[
Last edited by: kppolich: Aug 18, 17 21:38
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you get to the circuit board? Sounds like a capacitor is blown. I'm not even sure if Quarq's have caps...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly. Quarq is supposed to be mailing it back and when it arrives I will investigate. Looks like it was a pretty popular model to have failures, except now they don't replace or repair them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a thought on home repair, but I am curious if they gave you an opportunity to get a newer meter at a very discounted price. My Quarq S975 failed and I sent it back with a response that it was beyond repair. I don't remember the email and phone conversations, but they ended up selling a Riken at a lower price than what I could buy any other brand of decent power meter at that time so I went that route. Not great news for me at the time, but at least the Riken was an upgrade with temperature and other features and IPX7 where the S975 was not and why I think it ended up failing after lots of long rides in the rain. No doubt it sucks to have to shell out some big cash to replace a power meter.

Just wondered if they gave you a decent discount opportunity on the dZero.
I hope you can get it fixed with tinkering around with it at home.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Aug 16, 17 3:46
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They gave me the opportunity to purchase a lower model with aluminum crank arms for $599 and the Dzero model with carbon arms for $899. I passed and asked them to send it back, but not before asking for a summary of what was wrong. I have a few electrical board savvy friends that I hope can give me some guidance if I can get to the board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the positive terminal soldering is cracked but hard to tell with that picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
***8/18/17 Update***

Received the unit back from Quarq today, decided to take a peak at the superficial connections without taking the QPod apart. Cleaned out a bunch of corrosion and re-soldered a few places around the batter connection and the board as well as straightened the positive battery terminal out a little bit. Good news! It's working and has been connected for 25 minutes without issue. Bad News! Haven't ridden it outside yet. PICS

This is the quarq guys said was the likely cause of the issue. Crack on the back of the qpod

Cleaned out a ton of gunk around these pins, ALOT

Solder fixed and cleaned up with Isopropyl

On and functional for now

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Elsa died of water ingress a few months ago. It was about six months past warranty. Quarq offered their upgrade program (pretty crappy), and I begged them to take a look at it.

They ended up replacing the spider. They extended my warranty because of a prior issue.

I'm stoked about the end result, but don't care for their all or nothing repair policy. I understand if one has to pay for a repair, but hate that they generally don't repair a $1000 investment after two years.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does seem weird they ask for it to be sent in but do not ever want to try and fix them. I understand they make more money by selling more, but agree it can be frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job!

have you done anything about the crack? some epoxy to seal it up etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever repair a Quarq? [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, sealed with some bathroom caulk for now.
Last edited by: kppolich: Aug 20, 17 20:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
numbers were spot on after a muddy single track ride today. No issues for now!

Quote Reply