Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Reasons you don't open water swim [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
In fresh water lakes I get this "swimmer cold", my nose closes the night afterwards and still the next day I feel miserable. A lot of people seem to have this, must have something to do with allergy bit no one knows really what.
In the pool with chlorine I do not have this problem. I'm also fine in saltwater: just swum in vacation every day in the sea (no sharks in croatia :-) )

Was gonna give the old adage that if you can taste salt in the water, sharks are there.
Then googled sharks in Croatia - and it leads Europe in shark attacks since 1990.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons you don't open water swim [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no legal places to OWS in the Washington, DC, area. Closest I think is Annapolis, which for me is more than an hour.

But when I'm on my annual vacation in northern Minnesota, I love to swim across the lake at sunrise while my dad kayaks next to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few times every summer. Not more often because: I hate driving in city traffic. Makes me feel like I'm wasting time I could be using for something else. Pool is just 2 miles down the road. I don't like leaving my stuff on a beach. I drive a Jeep and the doors and the top are off in the summer so can't even lock my stuff while swimming. I have no one to go with. My SO doesn't like sea weed so I know she would not come. My two tri buddies left the sport.

I love OWS. Signed up for a supported lake crossing swim in 10 days. :) I like it even more in the ocean. Alas logistically it is just so hard to pull off. I can take the 3 hours it'd take to get there, swim, and come back, and do something else instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons you don't open water swim [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
georged wrote:
Recent threads have contained a few people saying they have good reason for staying out of the big blue wet thing, and fair enough.

I'd like to know your reasons for not swimming in the lake, river, or sea. (I presume that being triathletes, we swim on race days) Do you only swim certain times or weeks? Not at all?

I race OW, but rarely train OW because of the massive 6m great whites we have patrolling out beaches. Perth is now officially shark attack capital of the world. The last 70.3 I did in may, the last wave had to be pulled out of the water by boats, jetskis etc because of a 3m shark cruising through the swim course.

Eeek! I'd say that's a pretty darn good reason!
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons you don't open water swim [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ At 70.3 Pula (Adriatic sea) I looked around while swimming because it was so pretty and saw jelly fish here and there just below the surface. Wasn't stung, but not sure if everyone was so lucky. That'd be another reason to avoid OWS. There are advantages to living where it's a little colder. All the nasties prefer warmer climate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's boring. People always complain about having to stare at the black line at the bottom of the pool, but at least there is some visual stimulation.

The vast majority of open water swimming entails staring into murky green blackness broken up by brief blurry smudges of shoreline or waves. It's not like you keep your head above the water and enjoy the scenery. I still do it every couple of weeks --but once you learn how to sight I don't think there is a whole lot of benefit to be gained by swimming in open water versus in a pool. There is some (negotiating chop, swimming straight, etc.), but not a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons you don't open water swim [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
^^ At 70.3 Pula (Adriatic sea) I looked around while swimming because it was so pretty and saw jelly fish here and there just below the surface. Wasn't stung, but not sure if everyone was so lucky. That'd be another reason to avoid OWS. There are advantages to living where it's a little colder. All the nasties prefer warmer climate.

Couple of weeks ago I was in PoreÄŤ (near Pula) and there were also a lot jelly fish. I swam through whole groups of them, but wasn't stung, I only felt their jelly outside. Seems a plague this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons you don't open water swim [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JamieJ wrote:
Use nose clips. Problem solved. I'm the exact same way as is most of my OWS group here in the midworst. Started for all of us 4-5 years ago. All solved with clips.

Nope, have used nose clips for years. I still get the issue that my nose goes nuts after most OWS's.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could swim OW, there are a few lakes around where they have OWS sessions but if I want a good swim workout it's going to involve a bunch of 100's on an interval with a pace clock etc. I think a lot of people get to a point where they no longer need to practice OWS and simply need to work on speed, stroke development etc.

If they had OWS races in these parts I would certainly do those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely DO swim open water; typically at least one good effort every weekend in the Gulf. Live in St. Pete, so its kinda right there. No wetsuit necessary, most of the year anyway. Body Glide for sure, given the salinity of the water, and of course, gobs of sun screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the I'm opposite. I can't and won't swim in pools anymore. Just so boring. I OWS with a great group and we swim 4-5 days/week in a lake usually doing 4-6k each night. In the winter I'll plan vacations to get swim blocks in the ocean to keep sharp(ish). I'm not a swimmer. I'm adult onset swimmer but love the OW....lakes, oceans, rivers whatever. As long as it doesn't have wallzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jamie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no access to open water..
there are only two places in Denver to OWS, and that on schedules which are difficult for me to fit into.
So all my OWS swimming is in races. Or, sometimes when canoeing whitewater, take an inadvertent swim through the rapids ;-)

I was lucky enough to grow up in a city on the ocean. My brother and I swam several times a week in the surf, ages ten to twenty-something, now entirely comfortable in OWS of any kind so don't really need to practice it. I do love OWS though, miss it.
Last edited by: doug in co: Aug 15, 17 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: Reasons you don't open water swim [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I'm the one that ditched the pool for OWS recently. After 3 weeks+ of 100% OWS, I'm still at it, but I've had to pretend to ignore a few things...
1. We definitely have sharks. I think about them a lot as I stare into the abyss. Only 5 people on the planet will be killed by a shark this year. Will one be me? I buy more lotto tickets now.
2. Red Tide! I don't know if it is really a red tide, but the water is brownish-red sometimes. I haven't died or been sick yet and water reports haven't had any warnings. Just can't see anything.
3. Seals. One charged at me with his teeth showing. Those suckers swim fast.
4. Kelp. I'll be just swimming along and bam! Kelp.
5. Parking. I ride my motorcycle to OWS now for a front row parking spot.
6. Currents. Swimming nowhere as fast as you can is pretty tiring. Great workout.
7. My wetsuit is getting used a lot. It isn't as brand new as it was when I started (even though I've had it for well over a year).
8. Sand. Everywhere.
9. Fat tongue. After about 90 minutes my mouth and tongue start getting weird. I should wash my mouth out with a water bottle more regularly.
10. NO! I'm not a mermaid. I've been asked by 3 little girls if I'm a mermaid as I swim in to shore. In 35 years, nobody at the pool has ever asked me if I'm a mermaid.
I did learn a few other things. There are a lot of people doing OWS at the beach I swim at! I had no idea. I've met new people. I've also straightened out my stroke quite a bit. I had a hitch going on when I'd breath that had me out of streamline, but now that seems to be gone and I got my body roll back. I've also started bilateral breathing (after 35 years of successfully avoiding it). It just sort of happened and it feels very normal and natural now. My school swim coach would be shocked. I'm also much faster at OWS and I'm less averse to it after doing it consistently. Oh. And I'm having fun swimming! WHOA!
Oh. And I'm group swimming Wed evening at 6 pm, Sunday at 11 am, and I squeeze in a solo lunch swim, usually on Friday. Anywhere between 1,500 - 4,500 yards (but now I measure it in miles or fractions thereof).
I'm going to stick with it until a shark gets me. Hell, I ride a motorcycle to the beach to swim in the ocean with sharks and then I go home and ride my bike on the highway. It is amazing that I'm even alive. Don't tell my life insurance underwriter.

Wow, you are truly walking on the wild side!!! Personally, I swim in the pool b/c it is just so convenient and safe, no worries about boats, sharks, water moccasins, etc; I never get bored swimming and I really like to know how fast or slow I'm going, which is harder to tell in OW unless you swim back in forth in a simulated OW pool and time each segment. I really hate not knowing my pace; I can usually estimate it but it does vary day to day. I also like swimming the diff strokes which might be harder in OW particularly backstroke. In sum, I really enjoy the pool and see no need to OWS other than the day before and day of a race.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a summer living, working on Martha's Vineyard and did all my training OW out of necessity. When I raced, I was very comfortable, but slow. When I returned to pool swimming after 3 1/2 months, my stroke mechanics were all messed up, and I was just slower despite trying to recreate my regular intervals. I've raced enough and to have seen no advantage in OW training. My swim PR's from 1.5 to 4k all have been my kicking my butt staring a the black line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the opposite - I DO OWS often

I live in Cleve OH - and really dont like it - there are not many things great about Cleve (though admittedly it is getting better) -

Here is the really crazy thing - people who are Cleve lifers think its great - its not, they just really havent gone any place that IS great - but the ONE REALLY REALLY GREAT thing is Lake Erie - and unless they boat THEY H8 the Lake - WTF

I love swimming in the lake - no sharks, pollution is way down (cept after big rains) if wind is frm the north its a fun roller coaster - the swim season is fairly long June through end of Sept (some will brave earlier and later)

So bottom line I swim a good bit OWS - its just fun and different - is it a pool work out, no - but its still good practice

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply

Prev Next