Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Washington, NC Olympic
Quote | Reply
Has anyone raced in little Washington recently? I couldn't find any decent descriptions of the course or swim. This is my first race of the season (2nd race period). I signed up for it a little off the cuff just to try to get a little more experience under my belt.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Washington, NC Olympic [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim is in Pamlico river which feeds into the Sound so it's actually slightly brackish water (some salinity). It'll also have *some* tidal current so be aware of that.

Bike is flat and fast, 2 loops with 1 bottle hand off for Olympic athletes.

Run is flat. Traditional it's been a very hot tempature wise race. If it's hot and muggy pace yourself accordingly.

(I used to live on my sailboat in little Washington and have 3 athletes racing it)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've won that race 2-3yr ago(backdoor brag if there ever was one!) and here is a paraphrase of what I told my athlete.

Swim is Right to L, 2 turn buoys 1 center buoy in between those, about 300-400 until the first turn then a long backstretch. IIRC you turn at the 2 color buoy and use the solid color buoy for sighting. Brackish water, never been wetsuit legal that I can remember and can be choppy, nothing bad but enough to be annoying. Slight current but the year I did it you'd not notice it. The long leg is usually with the current. Can be hard to spot the exit. If it were me I'd warm up from the swim exit out towards the last buoy and sight on a few trees/landmarks/cars to figure out where the swim exit is.

Bike flat, can be a little windy. Basically a very good p/Cda course. It's hammer time

run can be hot/humid. Small bridge to go over then run a bit then slight uphill then a L turn uphill then Rt to the U turn retrace your steps towards the finish. U turn and repeat. It's not a fast run if it's hot/humid but it's not a slow run either. if it's cool(er) overcast this run can be very fast imo.

Transition is literally 50-60 feet from the swim exit.

I'm friends with the RD. If you have a specific question(s) lmk and I will put you in touch with Biggs or Primo

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Washington, NC Olympic [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the intel. I won't be able to make the information session on Friday as I have to drive up early race day morning. Brooks, my son is in the Lightning Squad with you!

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine not making the session on Friday. IIRC from last year when we were setting up transition there were only about 20 people at the on site info session.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Washington and have done the race several times. I totally agree with the other posts. All three segment courses are extremely fast. You really do not feel any current in the river this time of year. The river may be a little choppy this year as a cold front is suppose to be moving into the area late Friday into Saturday morning. This time of year they really should not used the words cold front in association with eastern NC. Cooler front maybe. It most likely will be hot and humid especially humid. The present run course while pretty has very little shade.
Quote Reply