Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH??
Quote | Reply
OK, I haven't checked in on ST in several weeks, so may have missed something. But is it just me, or has the forum site been changed to shove annoying pop-up ads in your face? The effect on my system, since I have a couple of pop-up blockers in place, is that I can no longer use the "back" button on my browser to go back to the main forum page. Clicking the back button effectively does nothing because the browser is just going "back" to a pop-up page that my blockers refuse to load.

This is really annoying! Plus it seems to be slowing down page access time. Grrr.

A) Is this just me?

B) Is this old news and there's already been a pissed-off thread about ST getting invaded by pop-ups? 'Cause if this really is a change in the ST site structure, it does indeed piss me off!

C) Should I be worrying that I have some sort of spyware/virus causing this?

D) Should I just get over it? (but what the frick does "1-800-Flowers" have to do with triathlon??)

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

C) Should I be worrying that I have some sort of spyware/virus causing this?

D) Should I just get over it? (but what the frick does "1-800-Flowers" have to do with triathlon??)

C). Be afraid. Be very afraid.

as for D), someone's gotta pay the bills.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had any pop-up ads on the ST site.
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had any pop-ups here

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No popups here, download adaware or spybot to check for spyware. The ads don't bug me but if there was a paid version of the site that didn't include the banners I'd pay for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's defintiely not slowtwitch...do a thorough cleaning of your system. Or get a Mac. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pop-ups here either. The forum is free for us to use, but not free to maintain. Unless you wish to chip in on the maintenance, ixnay on the pop-up complainingyay.

Now duck the lightning strike!

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

the same thing a thread about a dating service and quickie sex has to do with triathlon.

Somebody has to pay the bills, if not the flower people, then it would be us.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've never had any pop-up ads on the ST site.

OK, I should clarify: the "pop-ups" to which I'm referring are actually the lovely little ads now appearing in the banner across the top of the Slowtwitch pages. It seems to be a series of separate little image-ads for 1-800-Flowers--- when it succeeds in appearing. When it doesn't, it shows up as the tell-tale "The page cannot be displayed", which is the sign that my pop-up blocker is working.

These annoying little pagelets actually generate URL listings in the browser's history file, which is why clicking "back" for me results in the browser trying to go to a page that the blocker has blocked, so I appear to go "nowhere".

Anyone else noticing this?

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]No pop-ups here either. The forum is free for us to use, but not free to maintain. Unless you wish to chip in on the maintenance, ixnay on the pop-up complainingyay.[/reply]

Uh I dont get it, Since all add me to it are not getting Pop-ups. its not a ST thing. So why the comment about chipping in and to not discuss it. NO POP UPS ON ST. Just the banner ads.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disable your blocker while you are on ST or try e-dexter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What browser are you using. FireFox has built in Pop-blockers but is uneffected by these and they do not appear in the history so my back button works fine.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

OK, I should clarify: the "pop-ups" to which I'm referring are actually the lovely little ads now appearing in the banner across the top of the Slowtwitch pages. It seems to be a series of separate little image-ads for 1-800-Flowers--- when it succeeds in appearing. When it doesn't, it shows up as the tell-tale "The page cannot be displayed", which is the sign that my pop-up blocker is working.

These annoying little pagelets actually generate URL listings in the browser's history file, which is why clicking "back" for me results in the browser trying to go to a page that the blocker has blocked, so I appear to go "nowhere".

Anyone else noticing this?

Generally pop-up blockers do only that - block pop-ups, which by definition occur in a new browser window.

Not sure why you're having trouble with the back button - if what you propose were true, you'd have the same trouble on any ad-supported page, most likely. What browser and version are you using? Also - what is your pop-up blocker?

Woody

Mike Hollywood
http://www.bostontriathlonteam.com
http://www.michaelhollywood.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No pop-ups here either. The forum is free for us to use, but not free to maintain. Unless you wish to chip in on the maintenance, ixnay on the pop-up complainingyay.

I don't mind ads appearing on ST; I get the bill-paying thing, totally on board. But the new "technique" for their appearance (i.e., generating a series of dynamic pagelet-thingies) is a technical annoyance that I don't recall having experienced on the site before. It's more intrusive and inhibiting, but I guess if no one else has noticed I'll just shut up and fuhgeddaboudit!

grumble....

(and yep, have SpySweeper and SpyBot, so am pretty sure it's not a virus/spyware thingie)

TriBaby

Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Uh I dont get it, Since all add me to it are not getting Pop-ups. its not a ST thing. So why the comment about chipping in and to not discuss it. NO POP UPS ON ST. Just the banner ads. <<

Huh, I guess you didn't notice the broken pig-latin so I will throw in a ;-) so you see that it was written in jest since you require justification.

To answer your question, the OP asked why the ads were there. I know he is referring to the banner ads. Duh! Done with this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBaby, what is your browser and pop-up blocker?
Back button works on both IE and firefox for me.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [Woody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Generally pop-up blockers do only that - block pop-ups, which by definition occur in a new browser window.

Not sure why you're having trouble with the back button - if what you propose were true, you'd have the same trouble on any ad-supported page, most likely.

The same thing does indeed happen on the website for my favorite newspaper, but it's been that way for a long time and I've come to "expect" it there. It's annoying, but I deal with it. Having to deal with the same thing on ST now is new (and exasperating). Like I say: ads are fine, but this new way of displaying them is technically intrusive and deleterious to the site experience.

I'll have to check with our tech guys to see if there's a way to eliminate ad URL's from being retained in the recent history list, that would completely resolve the problem.

Sorry to waste the bandwidth, since no one else seems to have an issue here. My bad!

TriBaby

Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that this site turned into a dating service, I find the flower ads quite appropriate ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman probably had a vision a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its gotta be spyware. Slowtwitch is pop-up free.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what browser and version are you using? Just curious. Firefox 1.0.7 (home) and IE 6.0 both work fine for me.

Can anyone tell me, though, why links don't work when you post from Firefox?

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce,
Firefox 1.5 is out now. It works fine also

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the exact same problem. My browser will say "Connecting to site 127.0.0.1" and then say "Done" and never go backwards. I have to hit the "back" several times. Doesn't happen on other sites.
Quote Reply
Re: Pop-up ads on SLOWTWITCH?? [Jack Bauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

What Browser are you using??????

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am having problems with the page since the new adds appeared. ST now triggers my spyware filter on every page load - really annoying, and Suuuupeeerrrrr slooooooooooooowwwww, even at 100+Mbps

(Exploder with Spybot/SpywareBlaster)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply