Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed before distance?
Quote | Reply
I've been doing triathlon for 2 years now. Mostly been doing draft legal sprint distance races, but lately I've tried some non draft Olympic and 1/4 distance races. The draft races has been going fine, but I dont have a swimmer background, so I kinda lack the speed there. So those races are one long hunt. In the non draft races, my results have been very good. And I now consider moving up to 1/2 distance, because I feel like I can be even more competitive.

But from the start I've heard that to be really good at the longer distances, you have to be fast first. Thats why I've been doing the short draft races. I'm 26 years old.
My question is;
Do you guys think, that it's true that you have to excel at the shorter distances and the speed, to be really good at the longer distances? Or is it possible to reach the max potential by focusing on fx. the half ironman now?

A little facts.
26 years old male.
Pb's:
Swim: 100 scm - 58 sec
800 scm - 9.50
1500 scm - 19.40

Bike.
FTP - 360W/79 kg

Run -
5km - 15.55
10 km - 32.35

Neo-pro triathlete

https://www.instagram.com/nicolaiwium/
Quote Reply
Re: Speed before distance? [wium1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wium1991 wrote:
My question is;
Do you guys think, that it's true that you have to excel at the shorter distances and the speed, to be really good at the longer distances? Or is it possible to reach the max potential by focusing on fx. the half ironman now?

I don't think it's true that you have to excel at shorter distances to be really good at longer distances, but it does help. I think the biggest thing is that if you want to be really good at longer distances you need to be coming from a solid base.
Quote Reply