Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Veloplugs for clinchers - question
Quote | Reply
Anyone using the Veloplugs with Campagnolo clincher wheels? Velocity's instructions say the spoke hole should be an "8mm nominal width", but my Campy spoke holes measure approx 9mm. Should the extra mm make a difference? [I did email Velocity, but haven't heard yet]

I am not sure if I want to use the thick, hard plastic rim strip that came with my Campy Eurus wheels (even though the manual says to use ONLY the included rimstrip). Am I better off with Velox or other brand tape? [Or just shut up and use the included Campy strip]

Thanks, Keith
Quote Reply
Re: Veloplugs for clinchers - question [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The veloplugz may work but on my Alex rims which were slightly larger they fell right out.

Velox always works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velox. Something proven effective for what....80 years? :)

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use the veloplugs on zipps. they must be tight to stay in, so you might have a problem with your wheels. the best thing is to test one.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Veloplugs for clinchers - question [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velox it is then....and it seems that people have tried them on other Campy wheels and they weren't snug enough. But I did waste a bit of time and trimmed the Velox down for width and used enough to cover the spoke holes and not the entire wheel, just for the hell of it.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHADDAYAMEAN you trimmed it down? Maybe you bought mtb rim tape, but you absolutely shouldn't have to trim down your Velox tape if you got tape for a road wheel. It fits in wonderfully snug from bead to bead on every single wheel I've ever owned ... and I've owned LOTS of wheels. Trimming it down sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. Just the tiniest edge of a spoke hole exposed and your tube's a goner.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Veloplugs for clinchers - question [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, bought the wrong size and trimmed it to the right size, everything covered up fine. My bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Veloplugs for clinchers - question [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, i use the velox tape too on all my training wheels and, until quite recently, on all my race wheels.

but the velox plugs are smart and simple. i like 'em. they are a clever improvement, and you get to lose some wt. where it really counts and won't cause flats (like going to ultra thin tires/tubes). and the veloplugs are especially smart on a 18 spoke wheel. because there the velox tape is spending 95% of its length covering a perfectly smooth aluminum rim...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Scotch brand 1/2" strapping tape for years with never a problem.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Veloplugs for clinchers - question [LarryM96815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've used that too. works well.

but, what a pain when you gotta remove it. very sticky glue left on the rim...

Quote Reply
Re: Veloplugs for clinchers - question [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i've used that too. works well.

but, what a pain when you gotta remove it. very sticky glue left on the rim...

Remove it? Thanks, I needed an excuse for new wheels. :)

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply