Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Runner's knee 2 weeks before first Ironman +advice
Quote | Reply
Hello, Im really in need of some advice regarding my first Ironman.

How do I deal with runner's knee 2 weeks before my Ironman?

I've been training for Copenhagen Ironman (15 hour 45 min cutoff) since February (I've done 2485 miles aka a bit above 4000km as my training in the last half year) and my last hard training week before starting taper tomorrow was in hills where I did some running distances +- around half-marathon. Then 2 days ago on a short 9 miles (15km) run I started feeling an unknown soreness in my left knee, and in fear of injury I stopped the workout halfways in before it got worse.

I think the peak running distances in hills might to some extent have caused runner's knee, and since im only 2 weeks out from my Ironman im wondering how to deal with this in my two taper weeks. Should I quit running until the ironman? Should I do half the distances I was supposed to do (I had 24 miles planned in the first week and 7 miles in the second week planned)? Give it one weeks rest and then try some easy shorter runs?

Another question is what time I should aim for/ what I should focus on for my first Ironman?

My training up until the Ironman has as said been about 2485 miles, whereas half of that has been in June/July. Timewise I've averaged 9-10 hours a week March-May and about 13-13.5 hours (155 miles) per week (including rest weeks) for June/July.

When I bike for longer distances I average 25-28 km/h (15,5-17,4 mph) depending on trafficlights/weather (I have 20-30km of the route in cities) on long runs around 20-30km (12,5-18,6 miles) my pace is around 5:45-6:10 min pr/km (+- 9,65 min/mile) and when I swim OW it's usually about 2 min per/100m +- 10 seconds.

Background:
I've always been fairly athletic, I finished my first marathon when I turned 16 in 4:45 with 2 months of loose training prior. From I was 17-18 I went loosely into triathlon, learned how to swim with a 1:50 pace in a circular 100m pool for 2km, bike 100km (62 miles) averaging 25-28 km/h and also set some decent run times such as a half-marathon in 1:31 and 5km in 18:30 and similar. In august 2015 I did a half-ironman (after 6 months without training) in 6:12 finishing in a relaxed manner. In terms of fitness my vo2max is about 60 now (used to be 65-67).
Quote Reply
Re: Runner's knee 2 weeks before first Ironman +advice [Musars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cured my runners knee issues by taking time off from running and weight training to strengthen the leg muscles. Never had runners knee again after that

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Runner's knee 2 weeks before first Ironman +advice [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the OP, first make sure it's truly Runner's Knee. If it is, then know it's thought to be secondary to muscle imbalances. I had this as well and quickly figured out mine was secondary to weak glutes (right side weaker than the left). I started doing squats (no added weight except my own body weight). Every other day, I'd do 20-50 squats. After two weeks, my runner's knee disappeared. If it starts coming back again, I start back with more squats. Easy and worth a try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to a sports physiotherapist and get a specific diagnosis

In this phase of training it's common to get runners knee caused by iliotibial band tightness which can be caused by muscle spasm in or near gluteus medius. These muscles get tired from biking or running fatigued (controlling pronation at foot).

The cure is often pretty easy..
Trigger point massage
Making sure you're not overpronating while running
Checking your shoes aren't worn in pronation stance from the long runs
Hip muscle and itb Stretches
Less sitting
Home tp roller or grid roller
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice given by all. In my case desk job, weak glutes, tight hip flexor. Internet full of good instruction. I like mobilitywod website ( subscribe 1 month) for many illustrations. I did IM with torn meniscus and took Celebrex. It allowed me to train and race but I think really messed up my GI tract and hit me half way thru marathon. So be careful and as they say don't do something new right before a race. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.amazon.com/...ywords=it+band+strap

This for runner's knee. Works right away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google runner's knee runners world

Dr metzyl explains ....maybe water run and work on strength & flexibility around knee and google the straps some better for itb vs front part of knee. The rest might help anyway ie taper.
Quote Reply