Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FPro... Can someone explain?
Quote | Reply
An athlete at a recent 70.3 raced in the FPro category on a fast course. She finished closer to 6 hours than 5 and this was her second 70.3. In her first 70.3 there wasn't a pro category and she raced as an age grouper finishing in well over 6 hours. I am a back of the packer and have no understanding of what it takes to be "Pro" but this seems a bit odd to me. What does it take to qualify as an elite? Everyone has a bad race, but 2 out of 2??
Quote Reply
Re: FPro... Can someone explain? [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.teamusa.org/...3755292D567B20D9FCDE

Was the first race really a pro race? Was there prize money offered? Other pro's at the same race?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some countries make it too easy to get a pro license. An individual needs to be honest with themselves if they can be competitive consistently at the pro level if they are going to take a pro card. Some pros like the praise they get from others, even though they have no business being a pro. I know some pros who train full time with no other job and get beat badly by age groupers with busy family and work schedules.

In Canada I think it is far too easy to get a pro card. I would like to see our governing body make changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The advantage for the athlete is that a WTC Pro membership costs $900 and gives you free entry to all IM races. If you can get your national association to issue you a Pro licence you can save a lot of money if you race multiple IM races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can guess who you are talking about, but just in case I am wrong I won't name names.

If I am thinking of the same person she used to race draft legal, and just moved up to long course racing. I believe the governing body for the country she represents allows you to write a resume if you it is your first year racing long course. This gives them one year to get experience, but after that it gets a lot tougher.
Quote Reply
Re: FPro... Can someone explain? [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtbag wrote:
Some countries make it too easy to get a pro license.

Like the US.
Quote Reply
Re: FPro... Can someone explain? [A vdLinden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A vdLinden wrote:
I can guess who you are talking about, but just in case I am wrong I won't name names.

If I am thinking of the same person she used to race draft legal, and just moved up to long course racing. I believe the governing body for the country she represents allows you to write a resume if you it is your first year racing long course. This gives them one year to get experience, but after that it gets a lot tougher.

Yes... that is her. She gets a lot of attention and sponsorship but her race times are slow for age groupers. I don't think the free entries are much of an enticement. I am stunned that she's not embarrassed to put herself on the start line with a pro women's field. Her 10k off the bike is usually slower than 50 min but she still enters as an elite. I think that national federation needs to take a serious look at who they give the professional designation to. IMO and the opinion of many others this is an embarrassment for our sport. Plus there is nothing wrong with age group racing. It's a circus act that I think needs to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it impact you and why do you care?

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: FPro... Can someone explain? [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It absolutely doesn't. Good point.
Quote Reply