Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

East Coast Peeps: Cyclocross Nats in Providence, any tips or recommendations?
Quote | Reply
The kids and I are competing in the Cyclocross National Championships in Providence, Rhode Island December 8-11. Does anyone have any recommendations for must-sees in Providence or anywhere nearby in Rhode Island or Massachusetts?

Someone recommended Plymouth, Jamestown and Sturbridge... yea or nea?

Since I'm a sailor I'm also thinking about going down to Newport, RI but I was wondering if it's still a cool little town now that the America's cup is gone?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: IronDad: Dec 2, 05 0:34
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross Nats in Providence: recommendations? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Providence is a great little city ... completely revitalized over the last 10 years. Great Italian resturants on Federal Hill, outdoor skating rink downtown, plenty of shopping, shows etc. Plymouth has a rock ....not a very big one and not where it originally was, many are diappointed. Sturbridge can be fun if you are way into history, especially if you want to show the kids what life was like pre video games, TV etc. Check schedules though. Newport is a bit touristy but try it out its not far. Boston is only 45 minutes too for a day trip.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Peeps: Cyclocross Nats in Providence, any tips or recommendations? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in Providence for 4 years for college, and go back a couple of times every year. It's changed a fair bit since the revitalization, but I always loved the city.

Cool things to do: Check out the Brown University campus/Thayer street. Thayer street is a small, funky college community, thought there's been an influx of chain stores into the area in the past 5 years. Grab a sandwich at Greg's (the best sandwiches on the planet), and watch the Brown and RISD Trustafarians march by in their dreadlocks.

Other than the Mall downtown, there's not a lot to do down there. The rivers and bridges are quite charming, and it's interesting to note that the rivers have been moved several times to accomodate traffic changes, settlement, etc. I think where the rivers sit now is their original location.

If you want a cool dinner for you and the wife, or the kids too, go to a little restaurant downtown called "Pot Au Feu" (one of my favourite). Serves traditional French cusne, but of the French countryside/peasent variety, very unpretentious. Order their namesake, it's a great meal. Make sure you eat downstairs.

Federal Hill has some incredible eateries...just pick one, you can't go wrong. Newport is okay, though I haven't been in the winter. The drive along Oceanside Drive will make you re-evaluate your definition of "summer home".

Feel free to PM with questions.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Peeps: Cyclocross Nats in Providence, any tips or recommendations? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go to Boston for the day - the Science Museum is awesome for kids - so is the Aquarium and the Children's Museum there. If not Boston, Newport would be nice for the day - it still is a nice town even with out America's Cup. I haven't been to Sturbridge since I was little - but we used to love it when I was a kid. It would be alot further than Boston though. Plymouth is a little run down these days. There is a pilgrim village but I think alot of it closes down after Thanksgiving. Check before you go. It is a cool place for kids though because they have all learned about the pilgrims and the Mayflower. PM me if you want any other thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Peeps: Cyclocross Nats in Providence, any tips or recommendations? [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions for reasonable places to stay? Something typically New England maybe. The host hotel is the Biltmore but it's sold out. I probably don't want to spend a crazy amount on the hotel because our last-minute airline tickets cost me an arm and a leg!!!

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply