Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fluid intake for sub 60' TT
Quote | Reply
62 degrees and cloudy at start time. Any need to drink for a one hour TT?

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: fluid intake for sub 60' TT [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Re: fluid intake for sub 60' TT [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
No

This x1000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I don't drink when it's 95 degrees for a tt either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't. ...I drink plenty before and after the race. If you're dehydrated during a TT race (I assume we're talking ~40k tt distance), the real failure was not hydrating adequately in the hours / days leading up to the race.

For those who do, I imagine there's more psychological benefit than any amount of physiological hydration gained from drinking water during short events.
Quote Reply
Re: fluid intake for sub 60' TT [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Then she's ready to go.
  • Chain cleaned and lubed
  • Cassette swapped out for central Indiana straight block
  • Break pads swapped out for carbon happy
  • Rear brake adjusted so it doesn't randomly rub wheel

We'll see how well gravel grinder race training translates to 40K TT on the road.

Geoff from Indy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. I've got my first 40K TT coming up two weeks from this Sunday. I've done a bunch of OLY distance races where I've "held back" on the bike leg so it will be interesting to just bike. I've done 10K TT's this year, one was in a heat index of 113 deg F where I had one bottle/cage and I think I took one drink. I wouldn't have thought it was possible for 40K but now that I think about it I may have done some OLY tri's where I maybe took one drink.
Quote Reply
Re: fluid intake for sub 60' TT [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going to drink, coasting up to the turn around (if that's how the course is laid out) is a perfect time.

Geoff from Indy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good tip, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I carry about 20 oz. and usually drain it by the 50 minute mark in hot and humid weather. But I have an abnormally high sweat rate. For a 2:20 Saturday morning group ride, I'll consume 2 quarts and still lose 4+ lbs on the ride. Drinking seems to allow me to stay at FTP more consistently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah......
Not drank in a 25m TT for a long long time.

Managed a 50m TT the other week without fluids in 20c heat, but that was mainly down to my aero bottle bouncing out after less than 3m, and jettisoning its contents down the road!
Some peeps quite happy to do that far without, but I prefer the "comfort" of a gel and water just in case...
Quote Reply
Re: fluid intake for sub 60' TT [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
For me, I carry about 20 oz. and usually drain it by the 50 minute mark in hot and humid weather. But I have an abnormally high sweat rate. For a 2:20 Saturday morning group ride, I'll consume 2 quarts and still lose 4+ lbs on the ride. Drinking seems to allow me to stay at FTP more consistently.
That's the key - what's your sweat rate and the humidity/heat index. Yesterday in under 3 hours I downed 3-4 liters and still lost a couple of pounds. Years ago on a 105-110 F heat index afternoon I lost 6 lbs in an hour and had to call in sick the next day at work. I was out to do a set of 2x20s. The first was one of my best of the year, the second was a total collapse.
Quote Reply