Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [elynch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm referring to something I've been working on with a handful of endurance athletes for the past 2 years. It's about putting the brain at the center of training and that it should be the primary concern of the coach and athlete in the design of a program. The brain is where the skill resides. As part of it I've been working on how to train in and get into "flow" state at will.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about the central governor?
Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That idea was a piece of what influenced my thinking and change in the way I coach. But it's only a piece.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Last edited by: SnappingT: Aug 4, 17 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

+1

Good book on on this topic -> How bad do you want it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Here's the first article I've written on it...

http://lavamagazine.com/...-at-home/?cbg_tz=300

Any questions, let me know.

Tim

Your final paragraph is contradictory:

When an athlete wears a smart watch to count laps and record times, a tempo trainer or an iPod to do to the mental work they should do themselves, they are limiting the amount of gains they could potentially make in the pool. From a neuromuscular perspective, the changes in stroke mechanics, the increases in speed and efficiency happen when the athlete is focused, present and engaged for every stroke. If an athlete lets a device do the “mental” work for them, if they don’t focus on perfecting each stroke, then it is a wasted opportunity to improve. With some very simple changes, engagement in the workout with the pace clock and increased mental focus there is the potential for substantial gains to be made.

Also, counting laps and doing pace clock math, aka doing math in your head, doesn't count as a AX CPT (continuous performance test). The author of the study has explicitly stated this in the following interview: https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts17/
Last edited by: Pantelones: Aug 21, 17 21:37
Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [equanimity511] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
equanimity511 wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

+1 Good book on on this topic -> How bad do you want it

At the risk of seeming skeptical but, since "how bad do you want it?" has been used as a motivational tool for 50 years or more, what truly new insights could this book possibly contain???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Here's the first article I've written on it...

http://lavamagazine.com/...-at-home/?cbg_tz=300

Any questions, let me know.

Tim
I checked out the source document. The graph of Time To Exhaustion, TTE, seems to indicate that the test group, BET, did a helova lot better than the control group "pre-test", that is to say, before any training occurred. That would seem to indicated that the test group started the study more fit then the control group, no?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
equanimity511 wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

At the risk of seeming skeptical but, since "how bad do you want it?" has been used as a motivational tool for 50 years or more, what truly new insights could this book possibly contain???

It also seems to me to be largely besides the point. If I'm riding with a professional cyclist at 400w there is no amount of motivation that will get me anywhere near the time he can maintain that power output. Even when you select the population to be quite similar in aerobic ability, such as professional cyclists, who comes out on top is still fairly predictable. How bad do you want it is about marginal gains when talking about athletes with almost identical abilities, otherwise it's the abilities that make the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
equanimity511 wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

It also seems to me to be largely besides the point. If I'm riding with a professional cyclist at 400w there is no amount of motivation that will get me anywhere near the time he can maintain that power output. Even when you select the population to be quite similar in aerobic ability, such as professional cyclists, who comes out on top is still fairly predictable. How bad do you want it is about marginal gains when talking about athletes with almost identical abilities, otherwise it's the abilities that make the difference.

If you're talking about SnappingT's article, it wasn't about "wanting to win". It was about making the brain work hard thinking and figuring stuff out during training. Then, when it came time to race, the brain wasn't required to do any thinking nor figuring out, and therefore had only the "ride hard" to focus on. This seemed, to the brain, to be light duty so the human had lower perceived exertion and longer time to exhaustion. The result is so surprisingly dramatic tho that it's hard to buy.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It's not that your legs muscles don't have endurance....Tyler Hamilton proved that every time he got a blood bag, his legs suddenly got "stronger" and he could put out more watts for longer with "more endurance". This has nothing to do with muscles strength since forces are very low (someone's 90 year old grandma can put out that muscle force that Chris Froome puts out for a few pedal strokes.....the problem is repeating that pedal force 90+ times per minute). The challenge is delivering oxygen to the working muscles. It's all about cardio and oxygen delivery (vascular as in arteries, mitochondria density, veinous return) and improving that system.

We use to routinely test the knee extensor strength of people in the lab where I did my PhD. Probably the weakest male we ever tested was also the fastest distance runner.
Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
equanimity511 wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

If you're talking about SnappingT's article, it wasn't about "wanting to win". It was about making the brain work hard thinking and figuring stuff out during training. Then, when it came time to race, the brain wasn't required to do any thinking nor figuring out, and therefore had only the "ride hard" to focus on. This seemed, to the brain, to be light duty so the human had lower perceived exertion and longer time to exhaustion. The result is so surprisingly dramatic tho that it's hard to buy.

No wasn't referring to that article. I haven't read it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
equanimity511 wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

Agree 100%. Also, to take counter-argument 1 step further, asking yourself "how bad do you want it" in every single workout is a recipe for overtraining.

Quote Reply
Re: Muscular va cardiovascular endurance [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
equanimity511 wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

Agree 100%. Also, to take counter-argument 1 step further, asking yourself "how bad do you want it" in every single workout is a recipe for overtraining.

Yes I never found it very difficult to train hard enough to wear myself out good and proper and definitely got over trained before I learned to manage it.

And I still wasn't very fast, average at best. "Wanting" it had nothing to do with my modest abilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
equanimity511 wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

Yes I never found it very difficult to train hard enough to wear myself out good and proper and definitely got over trained before I learned to manage it.
And I still wasn't very fast, average at best. "Wanting" it had nothing to do with my modest abilities.

My experience precisely. :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next