Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Not much. If I cared about the appearance I'd have to baby it. Why would I want a vehicle I have to baby?

2) My 20-year old beat-up pickup looks just fine, thank you very much.

3) Anybody who tries to give my truck a swirly is going to get an atomic wedgie. Except you, Tibbsy. You'd just owe me a beer.
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get some great beer.
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No air cooled shit boxes. Mine are newer, except for the 944 Turbo. Although, that's not air cooled either.
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
I have a list of questions, all odd, and a reason to ask. All answers will be appreciated.

1. How much do you care about the appearance of your car?

2. If you think you need to take better care of the appearance of your car but don't what are the reasons you don't?

3. Do you notice swirl marks on cars?

1. Enough to drive a yellow convertible.

2. When there is enough dust to write my name on the dashboard, I have it washed. I have to put up the top to do that however...

3. Since the car is bright yellow, I can't really see them, if they exist, in the $27 car wash I got Monday. BTW, $27 seems like a lot of money to vacuum, ArmourAll the interior and tires, wash and dry the exterior, but maybe not...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

1. Care / appearance - a lot. Love my car and what I think of as the sense of sass it portrays for me.

2. Needs better care - why I don't give it: roof rack. Yeh, it's not *that* hard to get off but still is an extra step. I usually have sporting equipment inside so don't even get to have a thorough vacuuming when I go to a washing place. Used to do this all myself but took up triathlon with consumes more of what used to be free time.

3. Notice swirl marks: Yes if it's on a nicer car and only of it's egregious on a car I'd otherwise ignore.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. not much

2. if is washed it, it might knock off all the rust that is holding it together. I usually run it through the car wash once or twice a year to get rid of winter salt. I vacuum it and run armor-all wipes over the dash and hard surfaces about once a year in the summer. That said, I did clean the wheels a couple of weeks ago and the hubcaps are silver again rather than a gold/brown...

3. dafuq is a swirl mark?

All that said, I have a deal with my wife that I can get a midlife crisis car when I'm 50, probably a used Miata or along those lines. (if I can find an S2000 that would be ideal).

That car I will baby...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 28, 17 5:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only as far as it impacts the drivability of the car and any future value the vehicle holds. If salt and grime didn't wear down the body I'd only keep the windows clean. I do take a little pride of ownership so I'll keep it fairly clean but I don't care enough to wash it more than once a month max.

2. If you think you need to take better care of the appearance of your car but don't what are the reasons you don't?
I don't actually think I need to keep better care of my car BUT one roadblock to cleaning it more often is living in an apartment...when we buy a home we'll have a driveway and a hose and I'll clean it more often. Going to a car wash and spending $12-14 (that's about what it costs these days for a basic wash) isn't that appealing to me.

Nope. Unless I've just washed my own car I very rarely notice how clean a vehicle is, mine or others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My car is 12 years old, has 350,000+ kms on it and constantly has dogs in it - often dogs that have been at a beach. So sometimes the inside gets cleaned when the amount of dogginess gets to high or the rare case when someone other than me or my wife has to be in it. The outside gets washed when it rains. :)
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same answer. Never wash my car.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last month, I was in a rental car for two weeks and washed it once. Okay, that was to remove the evidence of taking the rental "off road" into the backcountry of Utah and Wyoming. But still, nothing prevents me from keeping my car clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
I have a list of questions, all odd, and a reason to ask. All answers will be appreciated.

1. During winter months I run through the carwash every week. less frequently during the warmer weather.

2. I do like to it to look clean. lol when I owned a jeep TJ I always washed it too! and that car is supposed to be dirty.

3. I don't fret the swirls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where i park It HAS to be clean.
If i drive my custom modified pony( Mustang) ..not only clean,it is highly detailed.{ Car Show Tonight in Chelsea)
My wifes’ gardening car ? typically you can’t even get in it !

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

I'll play...
1. I care a lot. In addition to keeping cars clean, generally also park to minimize possibility of door dings, avoid bird droppings, and other situations that could mar the appearance etc. I do this for my performance car, my daily driver, and whenever I'm driving the family SUV.

2. Time. But I'm good with what I do along these line now. Weekend wash (two bucket system, patted down with microfiber drying cloths, etc.). For the family hauler, less anal about it b/c it's white and more forgiving about dirt and swirls (which is why we chose white, and also because my wife cares less about stuff like this than I do). In winter when it's not convenient do wash them myself, I'll use a touch-free car-wash

3. Yes. Absolutely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
I have a list of questions, all odd, and a reason to ask............

37 responses now. Is that enough to tell us the reason you asked these questions?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I enjoy it when my truck is clean and nice looking. It does make me feel slightly more happy then when it is a disgusting mess.

2) The reasons I don't: I have a truck, and am a renovation contractor, and a dog I bring to the beach daily (who subsequently brings half the beach back to my truck). I can spend an hour making the truck spotless, but by the end of the week it will look like 3 hobos have been living in it for a year. If it's not dusty, it's sandy, or dirty. Time is the main reason I don't maintain it. I have more important things to do with my time.

3. Not usually.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Jul 28, 17 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. A fair amount. Speaking of my non DD that is way more valuable and on an upward trend for collectability.

2. Time. It is stored indoors and only driven on nice days so it does not get very dirty.

3. Yes. For that reason I clay bar and stick to Optimum Car Care products. They have ( in my opinion) the best car care product you can use.
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am kinda a car guy, so yes. I have a Ram Ecodiesel 1/2ton truck that gets truly amazing mpg, and a restored late 80's BMW 5 series that needs to get sold. Neither has ever seen a car wash that used brushes, or has had someone else wash them. Therefore there are no swirls and every tiny flaw in the paint is on me. The BMW is black so keeping it's paint perfect is, well, impossible. The best one can do is "pretty good". I paid a lot, 5-6yrs ago for BMW to be repainted and wet sanded, but even after that I put huge huge hours with a buffer trying to make the black paint more perfect. But every time a cloth touches paint, there is a possibility that the paint might get damaged. I will never do black paint again. It's the road to hell.

In the various times that the car has been to a shop or dealer that I thought might be tempted to wash my car after it was serviced, I made a point of asking them to not wash my car.

I'm lazy. The cars get vacuumed out and washed every month or two. I'm more oriented on being very very careful re. scratches and dings to the interiors and exteriors. I park away from other cars so no dings. The (3) kids aren't allowed to touch any sheetmetal, just the door handles. Nor are the kids allowed to eat/drink in the cars. Every 6 months or so each car get's a half day's worth of attention of careful washing, claying, wash again, buff with a dual action buffer, wash again, then apply an acrylic coating over the paint.

My eye is immediately drawn to swirls, made clearly visible by the bright sun. It's hard for me to understand how most folks are so tolerant of shoddy car washing practices that do so much damage to their paint.

Wife has gone thru a number of SUVs in the past 15yrs. Several of them have been really nice. But she doesn't really give 2 shits about the car, to her it's just an appliance. The back is always full of sand and dirt from days at the beach or getting plants at Home Depot. The rear seat area is always dirty from the kids shoes and whatever snacks and drinks have been spilled lately. In general terms, the wife has pretty high requirements for things being neat and clean, but that does not seem to apply to cars.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I am kinda a car guy, so yes. I have a Ram Ecodiesel 1/2ton truck that gets truly amazing mpg, and a restored late 80's BMW 5 series that needs to get sold. Neither has ever seen a car wash that used brushes, or has had someone else wash them. Therefore there are no swirls and every tiny flaw in the paint is on me. The BMW is black so keeping it's paint perfect is, well, impossible. The best one can do is "pretty good". I paid a lot, 5-6yrs ago for BMW to be repainted and wet sanded, but even after that I put huge huge hours with a buffer trying to make the black paint more perfect. But every time a cloth touches paint, there is a possibility that the paint might get damaged. I will never do black paint again. It's the road to hell.

In the various times that the car has been to a shop or dealer that I thought might be tempted to wash my car after it was serviced, I made a point of asking them to not wash my car.

I almost bought an E28 M5 back in the day. I still love the looks of them.
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The e28 (535, not M5) is pretty, but I just don't drive it. Just one more of my many bad car decisions I've talked myself into. I had the interior redone in Cardinal. I've always loved Cardinal leather seats.

The Ram Ecodiesel 1/2 ton was supposed to just be a tow vehicle, not a daily driver. But I ended up falling in like with the truck.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: What prevents you from washing your car more often? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
No.

Mother Nature does it for me every time it rains.

No.

nice bumper
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy washing the cars. Washed them after dinner last night it took about an hour and even the wife joined in.

It went something like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't care that much.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next