Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zipps on cdale ironman 1
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at new tri bikes and I really like the new cannondale ironman 1. However, I am a little confused by the wheelset on it. Are these older zipp 404s? they just don't look like the other new ones that I have seen. Anybody have any info on these.
Thanks

----------------------------
Support Your Local Bike Shop
Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [trifox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the are the model year before the newest ones. Dimples came out for '05 I believe, those are the '04s I think. Not sure why, but that's the deal.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They actually look more like Z4's

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
Has anybody noticed a huge difference b/t the older ones, and the new dimpled ones...is it something I should consider before buying a new bike?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My avg speed for a 40k was 21 mph on undimpled Zipps. I jumped to 27 mph after getting the dimples.

Seriously, Do yourself a favor and dont sweat 1/100,000 of a mph in a windtunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [Niles Standish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info...another question.
right now its a toss up b/t the cannondale and a javelin barolo. Does anybody have any experience with zero components that are available on the javelins (especially the 038 and 050 wheelsets compared w/ zipps)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
non a big deal on the non-dimpled Zipps but the resale value is a bit lower. Dude, definetely go with the C-dale. I rode one all last year and it is an awesome bike. Sweet sweet sweet. Super light and climbs like a damn road bike. Highly reccomended if you like riding really steep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the 2006 Ironman 1, it's downstairs. I opened the box a few minutes ago...Zipp 404 clinchers with the dimples. Like Tai said, doesn't really make a huge difference unless your selling them, which I am.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wonderful. any opinions on the bike itself. How do you feel about the carbon cdale cranks. what size and any idea on weight. Thanks.
oh...why are you selling the zipps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't even taken the frame out of the box, so I haven't any idea what it weighs. The carbon cranks will be fine. I'm not a huge, power rider, so I doubt I'll even be able to tell the difference. In a perfect world, I would have preferred the lighter, stiffer alloy cranks, but no big deal. I'm making a few changes to the stock set-up...different seat, post, bars and I'll get some Easton or Mavic training wheels. I'm selling the 404s because I want tubular 606s : ) Keep your eye on the classifieds, I'll put them up next week at a good price.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been out for 3 rides on my new 06 Cdale Ironman. It certainly is a great ride. I went all the way and got the built in SRM crank. Mine came with the dimpled 404 clinchers. I am keeping those for racing (yea I am a clincher fan) and bought some Ksyriums for training this winter which will eventually end up on my roadie.

One bit of advice for the Cannondale, get sized at your local bike shop. I ride a 56cm frame for my road bike (Trek) and ended up on a 58 for the Cannondale. My other choice was a P3 and I would have been a different size on that machine. The sizing between frames seems to be almost random.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Cannondale. It's a rocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike is 90% built and the wheels are in the classifieds.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [josherdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glad you like your new cannondale. i am really leaning toward that bike...i would love to get the srm but i dont know if I can afford it. Do you like how that program works? what all does it do. thanks

Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [Niles Standish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My avg speed for a 40k was 21 mph on undimpled Zipps. I jumped to 27 mph after getting the dimples.

Seriously, Do yourself a favor and dont sweat 1/100,000 of a mph in a windtunnel.
From 21mph to 27mph? I would think you are in much better shape. Dimples alone are not going to give someone 6 more mph.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just like the Felt B2 ... the OEM wheels don't have dimples. not because they are '04's, but because it saves cannondale some $ which they can pass onto you.
Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [lasagna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong, they do have dimples. At least, my new Cannondale came with '05 Zipps which are dimpled.

Shawn

Last edited by: ShawnF: Dec 3, 05 21:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well ... i am correct on the Felt B2's 404 - they are smooth. touched one on friday. brand new, just out of production.
Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [lasagna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would be easy to add a few dimples to '04 Zipp wheels - just take a hammer and start dimpling .... should make you much faster on the bike.

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: zipps on cdale ironman 1 [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

Seriously, Do yourself a favor and dont sweat 1/100,000 of a mph in a windtunnel. [/reply]
From 21mph to 27mph? I would think you are in much better shape. Dimples alone are not going to give someone 6 more mph.[/reply]

Hey mate... gullible is written on the ceiling!
Quote Reply