Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hit and run Harrisburg PA area
Quote | Reply

http://www.pennlive.com/...o_bicyclists_so.html

I don't know these cyclists but this is a little too close to home for me. Too many deranged drivers out there.

Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [TricentralPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unreal. I live in Philly and ride there, Bucks County and NJ all the time. It just keeps getting worse and worse with aggressive and miserable drivers every year. My girlfriend was riding Rt29 a couple weeks ago and was hit in the back with a bottle. What kind of pussy does that to a girl? Her and I ride back roads all the time and have had so many run ins with people. I'm seriously thinking of just giving the sport up soon. Everyone is in a hurry, on their cell phones or just plain angry and hating their lives.....so they take it out on us.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also in the city of philadelphia...Fishtown. I get the verbal abuse on almost every single run or ride. I have been hit (spiderman moves across the hood of cars) just running...twice!
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [TricentralPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TricentralPA wrote:

http://www.pennlive.com/...o_bicyclists_so.html

I don't know these cyclists but this is a little too close to home for me. Too many deranged drivers out there.

efffffffffffffff

that's not just hit and run, that's attempted murder when the driver tried to nail the lead rider after taking out the trailing riders

A camera wouldn't even help in this case as you don't have to have a front plate in PA. Makes me just want to get a top-of-the-line indoor trainer and not ride on the road.

When I lived near DC, we had this 3.0 mile loop in a park that is cross the river from DCA. When i first moved there, I thought it was ridiculous to use the loop for anything but intervals; however, by the time I left, I had done quite a few 3-hr rides in that park as there aren't as many cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Unreal. I live in Philly and ride there, Bucks County and NJ all the time. It just keeps getting worse and worse with aggressive and miserable drivers every year. My girlfriend was riding Rt29 a couple weeks ago and was hit in the back with a bottle. What kind of pussy does that to a girl? Her and I ride back roads all the time and have had so many run ins with people. I'm seriously thinking of just giving the sport up soon. Everyone is in a hurry, on their cell phones or just plain angry and hating their lives.....so they take it out on us.

If you want to report it to the police, make sure you have their attention.

Every time I ride in the city—which is frequently, since I live in the city—I play a game: Count the Drivers Who Are On Their Phones. Cops on their phones scores 2x points; there are A LOT of cops using their phones while driving. More often than not: I lose count/score.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know I tell myself that most drivers are not out to get me, they may be a little annoyed that I'm on the road but they just want to get from point A to B and will be reasonably careful. It's up to me to be vigilant, ect...and then you see this.

all it takes is one lunatic to kill you or ruin your health. I think even these guys wrote that they've never had an issue like this in 30 plus years.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg, for the most part the Police don't like cyclists too. They would love nothing more than to have us all off the roads. I know a few riders that have given info to the police about incidents with aggressive drivers and nothing gets done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few of the QCW and KB domestic elite men had a run-in (literally, Nick was clipped by the rearview mirror) with Conshohocken (Norristown?) cops last year. The entire episode was caught on video. The sergeant who showed up on the scene determined his patrolman was in the wrong (but this did not happen on-site, it was some time later, from the station). The sergeant offered and apology, requested his patrolman offer an apology, and also offered to lead safety training for police and cyclists, etc.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=87f_1433901279

I should ride w/ cameras more often.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 25, 17 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that. I have a camera but the battery is only good for 2 hours. It's kind of useless. Since I can control it from my Garmin I might just start turning it on when I'm on a bad road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
I remember that. I have a camera but the battery is only good for 2 hours. It's kind of useless. Since I can control it from my Garmin I might just start turning it on when I'm on a bad road.

another battery shouldn't slow you down all that much, especially when you are as fast as a motorbike :p
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:

another battery shouldn't slow you down all that much, especially when you are as fast as a motorbike :p
But I'll need 3 extras for some of the rides I do :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:

I live in Central PA and the f,in Gene pool is so depleted. Rebel flags and Big trucks..
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hope the cyclist find him, skin his legs, rip his finger nails off, stick nails into each finger (lengthwise), then shower him with boiling water for 5 mins. once he wakes up, dump him into ocean, so he can struggle and drown.

but nah, he'll get away with it. or they'll catch him and give him community service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
echappist wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:

But I'll need 3 extras for some of the rides I do :D
What camera do you have, the garmin one? I have a gopro and bought an extended battery, I forget the brand, but it'll last 4 hrs, you'd prob only need 1 extra for your rides ;-) (btw it's mike c from FB and MSF)

I was hit by a car in 2013, I had just gotten a contour roam 2 weeks prior, I was out cold after I got hit, the officer actually came to the hospital later that night and to my house a few days later, he did cite the woman driver who hit me, thankfully she stopped, but of course blamed it on me until I was able to show the video and garmin data to back up my version of the story in court, then she and her lawyer changed their tune suddenly.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike! So many familiar people on here.
Yeah, it's a Garmin Virb. I originally bought it to video some mountain bike fun, and fishing. I liked it because it's controllable from my Garmin head unit, and it was half price at the time :D
Someone needs to come out with a small ''dash cam'' for bikes that overwrite old data, and last for 6 hours. They would sell like crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Yeah, it's a Garmin Virb. I originally bought it to video some mountain bike fun, and fishing. I liked it because it's controllable from my Garmin head unit, and it was half price at the time :D
Someone needs to come out with a small ''dash cam'' for bikes that overwrite old data, and last for 6 hours. They would sell like crazy.
I agree. I am half tempted to get the newer garmin hero session for the front and use my hero 3+ for rear facing but the hero session battery life isn't long enough.

If I am NOT harassed on a ride I am surprised and I mostly ride out my neighborhood and on back country roads in chesco. I've launched many a bottle at cars.

My buddy was physically assaulted by a driver a few years ago, I caught the whole thing on my contour at the time, he didn't want to get the police involved. So many ahole drivers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:

Someone did, cycliq fly 12. It's even on sale now at clever training. I've had the 6 for a while (films to the rear) and just ordered the 12.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:

Someone did, cycliq fly 12. It's even on sale now at clever training. I've had the 6 for a while (films to the rear) and just ordered the 12.
Wow, thanks, that seems pretty decent and what I need for rear facing. Do you know if you can use a larger SD card that 8GB?

I'm guessing you're pretty happy with the 6?
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you can put in a larger card. I've been very happy with it. Thankfully haven't needed the footage but it just works and is simple. Battery lasts a while so just strap it on, turn it on and you're good. If the bike goes horizontal it automatically will shut itself off 10 minutes later or something like that to prevent overwriting post crash footage. Pretty clever. On sale now they are priced not that much higher than high end front and rear lights and you get the cameras thrown in.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and run Harrisburg PA area [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks, and that was my concern for the larger SD Card, if you are hit would the camera keep recording and overwrite, apparently now. I was just thinking of replacing my thunderbolt taillight since it's not lasting as long as it used to. I'm gonna give this one a try I think.
Quote Reply