Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
rtrtme wrote:
Hi All,

This is Jeremy from RTRT.me. I've read over this thread. Just wanted to let you know that we are listening. You are correct--- our platform was not originally designed with the triathlete in mind, but we intend to improve upon this. We will make it better for you.

A massive amount of work is going on behind the scenes in making a live a global tracking solution even possible. This is only the first step. It takes tremendous effort for all parties involved each week to deliver realtime results for multiple IRONMAN's around the globe in different timezones, with different timing contacts, hardware, course configurations all running through our platform at the same time.

We are very excited to be part of this new community. We are still learning the intricacies of this particular sport. As we learn, we will endeavor to adapt our platform accordingly.

Thanks for your patience,

Jeremy Dill
RTRT.me

Jeremy,

Thank you for the reply. I realize you are working on improving and transitioning the service, but this goes to the SportStats crew as well. Why not implement the changes when they are ready and when the proper requirements have been gathered of the users, the functionality has been built and tested, and then deploy it when ready.

While I see comments on here that some people like it, I wonder if these people read my original post where I discuss this being a particular use-case scenario problem. I fully understand that many people are not fans of the sport, and may not want or use the system in the same way a fan would. IMHO the current system leaves those who are fans wondering what is going on. Is Ironman continuing to erode the fans of the sport in favor of the participants' family and friends? Is Ironman even evolved in this process? Regardless, I don't see the users being solicited for requirements but maybe they are and it is just not transparent to me. It seems like ST would be a pretty good place to solicit users.

Fwiw, I know this is Dan's/Jordan's property, but when they did an upgrade of the system last year they solicited feedback from their customers about what changes they would like to see.

As for more bugs. This past weekend I used the tracker to track the pro race at Boulder 70.3. It was really frustrating to be looking at say the swim splits, and then after a couple of seconds it moves me to the current portion of the race automatically. Why does it does this? Is this by design, is this a bug. if by design why? I want to look at the swim splits, when I am ready to move on I can click the button to do so, I don't need to be moved there after a few idle seconds just to have to click the swim again and go back for it to happen 5 seconds later again.

There are certainly some positives and when it is all done I can see how it can be an improved service. I just wish instead of having to start a thread in a reactive manner, that the requirements, design, etc were done proactively.

Relax Thomas. RTRT.me was likely given a scope of work (SOW) FROM Ironman that said: create this..... blah blah blah.

Your gripe is with Ironman. Don't take it out on RTRT.me. They likely just did what they were contracted to do.

And the new app isn't as bad as you say it is. Yes the auto refresh thing is probably the biggest issue so far. But that can be fixed. Give it time.

You must be groggy from IM training. Go take a nap. :)

blog
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am guessing some changes were made to the app recently. Using it on my laptop for IMMT and it really seems to work well!
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The app is great. I'm using my phone to track someone at IMMT. The lap top however is clunky. The scroll is very finicky, it is hard to scroll through the leaderboard. But still it will be great to get updates when racing about what position I'm in. Pretty much makes the non mass start swim a non issue if you have a good support team.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh.

I see the tracker still doesn't work on my laptop with chrome. Seeing the old style tracker, not the new one. Using IE though, it works on my laptop. Works perfectly fine on my phone/app.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on Mac/Safari....no issues. Tried Firefox also....works fine there as well.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I share your concerns from the fan perspective. I wish IM would adopt the tracking system we enjoyed today at Im Copenhagen. That would be a huge step forward IMO.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely agree with you.

And from reading other comments-- maybe it's ok on the app, but not the desktop.

Or maybe it's ok if you signed up and are getting alerts for someone, but it's NOT ok, when you just want to pop in now and then and check on a friend or two.

Also, the 'estimated time to the next split' is awkward-- if your person slows down, you have no way of knowing that they either slowed down or that the anticipated split didn't register or didn't update. I suppose that was true with the former tracker, but it didn't sit there and tell you that Athlete X is due to hit 37.5 km on the run 8 minutes ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not read rest of responses but i am a huge fan of new tracker, I realize its not perfect but its going right direction and I like it way more then old tracker.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [rtrtme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to have the ability to choose which metric units to use ... while the rest of the world likes km/hr and min/km, the rest of us Americans don't know what that mean, so it would be nice to choose our own units. If I'm tracking someone racing outside of the U.S, I'd like the ability to see a unit that I can understand :)

I'm sure the rest of the world who are tracking people doing U.S races would like to choose a unit that they can understand more easily.

Quote | Reply
I like the new app for mobile, which is where I'm most likely to be using it, that is, away from a desktop computer, more likely at a tablet or on a phone.

I might not have found it yet, but I was lacking a way to see how age group rankings changed over segments of the race. That is, was my athlete third out of the water, and then dropped to eighth on the bike and recovered to fifth on the run?

I like that the tracked athletes remain visible on the list for the duration of the race.

I also question why that question of "are you a participant" went up every time I opened the app.

I would like to see a "replay" function on the map so that my chosen athletes could be shown moving on the map after the race is over.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hate it

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:

I might not have found it yet, but I was lacking a way to see how age group rankings changed over segments of the race. That is, was my athlete third out of the water, and then dropped to eighth on the bike and recovered to fifth on the run?

At the bottom of the app, select "leaders" and then select what category or AG you want. Then at the top you can select the time split and see the leaders.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like it and so does my family. They said it's super easy to track and tell overall and Ag placing at each map. My dad, the expert Sherpa, loves the map using the estimated time. Obviously if you speed up or slow down it won't be accurate but without a gps tracker nothing will be more accurate.

I think people are now complaining to complain.
Do we not remember the old tracker that never updated?! Now that tracker sucked!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I really like it and so does my family. They said it's super easy to track and tell overall and Ag placing at each map. My dad, the expert Sherpa, loves the map using the estimated time. Obviously if you speed up or slow down it won't be accurate but without a gps tracker nothing will be more accurate.

Do we not remember the old tracker that never updated?! Now that tracker sucked!

EXACTLY! The old tracker sucked it would be hard to get worse, this to me is def improvement.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TOTALLY AGREE!! I am writing from the perspective of how I check after every pro race to see how the pros did.

Thanks for starting this thread Gerlach. SPOT ON! Before it was so simple and hassle free, you see the results in order and in one frame you see the splits and final time. Simple, quick and exactly what I want to see on the results.

Now, you click on athlete tracker and for a split second it teases you into thinking they've gone back to what it was before and then it goes into the new mode.

Hope they make this option available again, no need to throw out this one, just add another tab called pro final standings, something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The app and the desktop version are the same. It's a web app. Just slightly reformatted layout for mobile devices.

It's definitely an improvement in functionality over the previous tracker. But it's terribly built and designed. Very very janky and sloppily put together. Some of the flows are confusing/unintuitive. This would have been a great app in 2009, but doesn't really cut it in 2017.

It's clear they have prioritized getting a product out the door as fast as possible and whitelabeling and selling it to as many races as possible. I agree with that, but the product also needs some love. At least you don't have to open 25 different tabs to track each person you want to track anymore!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:

Right, as my original comment at the start prefaces, this is fine for the family tracking their athlete, actually it is better. But that is one specific use-case. The people commenting on here that they like are it are speaking from one specific use-case which is fine. However, what those same people are failing to see is that is not the use-case of others.

Another great example of something missing/askew is for example how Antoine D* and Patrick Evoe were showing in the Men's pro swim yesterday at IMMT but somewhere through the day they were removed from the visible facing system, although if you knew the athlete was racing you could still search for the athlete. On the front of things it looks like Marino led the swim. Which is very different in telling the narrative than Marino was actually on Antoine's feet. I could try to make analogous examples to whatever else interests you in sport as a fan or anyone else.

There are so many things I have noticed that are actually step backs, while there are a few steps forward (tracker and map), although I don't use the feature at all. Given there was no Ironman provided mobile app provided before, obviously the mobile app aspect is a step forward.

The old tracker never updating has to do with the data feed, not the presentation of data. This new app, RTRT out of the box solution, is really just a presentation layer on top of Sports Stats normal data.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Changes on the Sportstats side are a bummer too. As far as I can tell, on race day the Sportstats site pushes you to the IM site and new tracker. The Sportstats site used to be active in race day and the individual athlete splits would show their position in the field. Now you can use this during the race and when their site is available after the race these split positions are no longer shown. This is a step back where there didn't have to be changes made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done much tracking online so I can't really comment on that aspect of the tracker. So hopefully they get it all ironed out because come Kona I will for sure be using the tracker to figure things out on my computer and not my phone. But it seems like it is a nice step in the right direction at least. Let's hope they listen to all the feedback they have gotten on this thread.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jrielley wrote:

Right, as my original comment at the start prefaces, this is fine for the family tracking their athlete, actually it is better. But that is one specific use-case. The people commenting on here that they like are it are speaking from one specific use-case which is fine. However, what those same people are failing to see is that is not the use-case of others.

Another great example of something missing/askew is for example how Antoine D* and Patrick Evoe were showing in the Men's pro swim yesterday at IMMT but somewhere through the day they were removed from the visible facing system, although if you knew the athlete was racing you could still search for the athlete. On the front of things it looks like Marino led the swim. Which is very different in telling the narrative than Marino was actually on Antoine's feet. I could try to make analogous examples to whatever else interests you in sport as a fan or anyone else.

There are so many things I have noticed that are actually step backs, while there are a few steps forward (tracker and map), although I don't use the feature at all. Given there was no Ironman provided mobile app provided before, obviously the mobile app aspect is a step forward.

The old tracker never updating has to do with the data feed, not the presentation of data. This new app, RTRT out of the box solution, is really just a presentation layer on top of Sports Stats normal data.

Thomas, can you help me figure out how I can see top 5, top 10, top 15 in an age group at the various splits. The new tracker is fine if I know who to follow, but if I want to see what is going on in the pro race or any division I can't find that. And if I know someone racing but what to see where they are relative to others, I can't find that. To some degree, I don't really care what a person's time is, I want to know what is relative to peers to really understand what is going on. For example, if I see a 63 minute swim time for someone who normally swims 58 or 59, if every is swimming slower I can guess it was long or no wetsuit. If I see a 5:30 bike split for someone who normally goes 5:15, if I see everyone "seems slow" maybe it is a windy day, but if peers are fast and that person is 15 min slow, perhaps a mechanical. I just can't seem to find the top bunch of athletes in any age group. I tried to do that during Tremblant and gave up and I tried to do it today at Vichy and gave up.

If anyone from Ironman is reading you guys do realize that you can sell advertising in the corners of the tracker. On the day of an Ironman we people who are tracking are completely captive for 8-17 hours contstantly checking in. At least endemic sponsors should care even if the likes of Ford, Nokia, Apple or HSBC won't. Seems like a lost opportunity to generate revenue.

As a minimum, sell a title sponsor for the tracker on the day of Kona. If you don't do that, you guys are crazy. Why offer this free charity service to fans of your sport? You may as well try to monetize our eyeballs.

Edit: I guess I found it for Vichy now. For the life of me, I still don't know where it was the day of Tremblant.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 27, 17 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: NEW IRONMAN TRACKER - I Hate It!!!! Anyone Else? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the bottom of the tracker, go to "leaders" and then select the category you want. Then you can see the leaders for each time split and how far back they are from the leader.

I recommend using the app on the phone over the ironman website. It's a much better setup on the phone since it was designed for mobile use.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really love the app. Just select your favourites and add them to the tracker, you even get notifications and as I tested at IM Hamburg standing directly on the timing mat, the data is on your mobile in less than 20 seconds. Leaderboard feature a goo overview about all Ironman events and the possibility to track your relatives, loved ones and friends up to a crazy detailed fashion with split calculations for upcoming way points etc. is something we should be really happy about. I mean Ironman has no need to do this at all, but for an 8-15h races this is making all our lives, either as supporter on or off site much easier.
At the end I don't care wether they ask if I am a participant or not. If I am, I am most likely not using the tracker while on the bike leg. I guess that should be easy to fix.
For gods sake, triathlon should be fun and is a hobby and passion for most of us. I guess less than 1% of slowtwitchers checks out every race with their favourites. This sounds pretty negative to me. I think we should be happy with the first version of the app and all the features it provides. Sure there is room for improvement, but in comparison to the old desktop tracker this is supporter heaven and for what I have experienced at three recent races with friends everything works fine.

Only thing I don't like "about the app" is that the rolling start pretty much messes up a lot of results and splits, if you want to tell your mate their current position and timings....but well I guess no app could fix that :D

sent from my iPhone
Quote Reply

Prev Next