Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series

I cramp, you cramp, we all cramp. During training, while putting on shoes, and (the worst,) dreaded “anytime is the wrong time” killer bilateral hamstring grabber. Many athletes cramp more regularly and more severely; it’s put them in danger as well as limited training and racing. This forum is alive with discussions about the various remedies and preventative measures. In the 2 years since the last nutritional review, innovative new products have entered the marketplace.

If you’ve been to an Ironman-branded race in the past 2 years, you’ve probably seen and possibly tried HOTSHOT. It’s a spicy-tasting liquid (think Fireball,) that you drink before, during , and after exercise.

HOTSHOT is the first and only scientifically proven solution to prevent and treat muscle cramps, invented by a Nobel Prize-winning neuroscientist/endurance athlete. Its proprietary formula controls Neuro Muscular Performance (NMP) and stops cramps at the nerve, where they really start. NMP is how an athlete’s nerves and muscles work together in an optimal way. More details about the product here.

Successful applicants will meet the following qualifications and have the following duties:

1. Cramp frequently (e.g., at least once per week or a couple times each month). In your response, please specify
a. When you cramp (swim, bike, run, strength training, etc)
b. Severity and duration of the cramps
c. Remedies you’ve tried
2. You live in the US and are training now for an upcoming 70.3 or longer triathlon, Century ride or longer, Marathon, Ultra Marathon or comparable event, and will be through August and into September.
3. You aren’t sponsored by a company making a product in this product’s competitive set (this include any company that makes anti-cramp products to use before, during and after training in powder, gel and bar format.)
4. Testing period is 3 weeks, and 24 bottles will be provided at no charge to you.
5. You’ll use HOTSHOT product according to the following manufacturer’s instructions with a focus on HOTSHOT products as a cramp prevention, treatment and recovery source during and after training and racing.
· Take one bottle 10 minutes before exercise to maximize your Neuro Muscular Performance.
· Take one bottle at the first sign of cramping.
· Take one bottle post exercise to reduce muscle soreness.
6. You’ll report your experience with the product at the end of the test period, on a Reader Forum thread you’ll find for the purpose. We will post a call for reviews, as well as send you a reminder email.
7. Your report will pay specific attention to convenience, taste, energy levels, digestability, cramp prevention and reduction, plus whatever else you consider relevant. If you’re chosen, we will send you a form to complete each time you use HOTSHOT.
8. Your comments may be used in a front page article that amalgamates all user reviews of that product, though you can choose the method attribution (how you wish to be identified) for any comments of yours that are quoted.
9. Please indicate your interest by posting here, or in a private message to Slowtwitch Concierge. In your private message, please describe your cramp history, list the event(s) you’re training for, confirm you’re in the US. If you post, please sure the email address on your ST account is current.
10. You must be a registered forum user and a recipient of the Slowtwitch Weekly Newsletter. Sign up for newsletter here: click on "Subscribe" on the upper right side of the page, or just below mid page blue line, where it says "Circulation Drive."

Standard Nutritional Review Disclaimer: We offer you NO warranty about ANY product. It's up to you to perform whatever due diligence you want. For example, our science editor Jonathan Toker wrote some time back about lab accreditation. You might want to inquire of any manufacturer about the lab where the product is made. Or about the ingredients. Your choice. We're adding this disclaimer before every one of these User Reviews.

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 24, 17 19:45

Re: Want to be a Slowtwitch User Reviewer? It's HOTSHOT [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]

I'm interested!
cramp history/severity: I first started to get calf cramps while swimming in 2010. They'd appear just about every time I swam. They were bad, but I normally could keep swimming. Now that I am training for IM Louisville, they have come back hard; especially when I swim after running. It's also super hot and humid where I live (in Florida), which, I think contributes to the problem. They've been so bad at times that I have been unable to continue the swim and have had to hang out in the pool waiting for them to stop so I could get out of the water. The cramps are normally in my calves, but sometimes in the instep or quads.

Races: The main event is IM Louisville.

Re: Want to be a Slowtwitch User Reviewer? It's HOTSHOT [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]

Ill be in for this too.

I cramp more often than not when swimming, and right after swimming. With in the first 20-25 minutes of just about every pool swim I do, I get cramps in my calves, and through to my feet. I have tried having more water with electrolyte during swims, and before, but it is no good. The cramps will continue onto the bike and run for many races (especially hot ones). My solution to this has been again to increase hydration and sodium/potassium intake. Although it can help a bit, it has not solved the problem.

As for races coming up, I have Ironman Santa Rosa full, and the Ironman 70.3 World Championships.

Thank you for the chance!

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance

Re: Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]

Yes please!
I'm a biker, spending most my time on the Road and Gravel. I have a lifetime history of cramping thighs, related to prolonged maximal efforts (read long climbs, 30min+). In recovery I'm used to frequent foot, calf, or back spasms.

Main upcoming event is the Gravel Worlds, 150miles, Linclon Nebraska, Aug 19.

I would LOVE to leave the cramps behind!

Chris

Re: Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]

I'm interested.

I cramp most often during swimming or in a race anytime after I have swum. I would say twice a month at least, but more often I feel the cramp coming on and work very hard to avoid it and that is frequently, too frequently to count. In my last race, a 70.3, I could feel my calves firing and on the verge of cramping and I slowed down just enough to keep them from stopping me.

I am training for a 70.3 on September 10th and then my next race will be a 140.6 in May 2018. I live in California.

Severity is usually debilitating for about 30 seconds to 60 seconds and then reduced capacity for 1-5 minutes

Remedies I have tried are stretching before workouts, taking multivitamins and pulling while swimming in races to avoid using my legs to kick.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3

Re: Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]

I can say that this product works!!
Yes, HOTSHOT is one of my sponsors this year so I want to be upfront with that disclosure.
But, yes this product does work, and work very well at that. I have used it since January of this year, and have found the results are great and it does what it says, prevent cramps.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice

Re: Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series [Taugen] [ In reply to ]

Taugen wrote:
Yes, HOTSHOT is one of my sponsors this year so I want to be upfront with that disclosure.
But, yes this product does work, and work very well at that. I have used it since January of this year, and have found the results are great and it does what it says, prevent cramps.

Can you tell us how you have used it? Was it the avoidance of cramps you noticed or how did you know it was working?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3

Re: Want to be a Slowtwitch User Reviewer? It's HOTSHOT [amd723] [ In reply to ]

amd723 wrote:
I'm interested!
cramp history/severity: I first started to get calf cramps while swimming in 2010. They'd appear just about every time I swam. They were bad, but I normally could keep swimming. Now that I am training for IM Louisville, they have come back hard; especially when I swim after running. It's also super hot and humid where I live (in Florida), which, I think contributes to the problem. They've been so bad at times that I have been unable to continue the swim and have had to hang out in the pool waiting for them to stop so I could get out of the water. The cramps are normally in my calves, but sometimes in the instep or quads.

Races: The main event is IM Louisville.

amd723: Need your information by Wed 7/26 if you want to be included in the testing. Please PM me. The email box associated w your ST acct is full.

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Jul 25, 17 15:41

Re: Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]

Sanrafaeltri wrote:
Taugen wrote:

Can you tell us how you have used it? Was it the avoidance of cramps you noticed or how did you know it was working?

Good questions to ask.
I used a shot of it about a thirty minutes before race start. I then also mix about half of a shot size into each of my water bottles for the bike. For the run, I used a half shot size at run start, and again at special needs.
Normally, I would get cramps in my calves causing me to hobble (as I did thru the finish chute at IMTX 2016). This year at IMTX, when I used it, I had no cramping of the calves. Now, still had soreness and tightness in my quads and calves, but no cramping. I attribute this to the HOTSHOT, as I did not change any other nutrition or hydration plans from years' past.
For me, it works and I will continue to use it.

I am very interested b/c I used this product for the first time coming out of T2 at IM Boulder. My cramps in my quads went away, but by diaphragm felt like it was awash in ginger fire.

I usually cramp on the swim, and then the back half of the bike, back half of the run.

I have a 70.3 in August, then a weekend with sprint tri saturday/50mi tri Sunday in early October.

Only remedies I've tried are stretching and margarita-flavored Clif shotblox.

—Mr. Hand

Re: Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]

scofflaw wrote:
I am very interested b/c I used this product for the first time coming out of T2 at IM Boulder. My cramps in my quads went away, but by diaphragm felt like it was awash in ginger fire.

I usually cramp on the swim, and then the back half of the bike, back half of the run.

I have a 70.3 in August, then a weekend with sprint tri saturday/50mi tri Sunday in early October.

I can agree with you that sometimes my stomach does get that feeling or taste. That's why I will use only half a shot mixed with water or small amount of gatorade when passing through an aide station. Try to blend it, or cut it down into smaller portions to help alleviate that stomach feeling.

Re: Is cramping during racing a problem for you? Here's a product you've been reading about, it's part of our nutritional review series [Taugen] [ In reply to ]

Taugen wrote:
scofflaw wrote:

I can agree with you that sometimes my stomach does get that feeling or taste. That's why I will use only half a shot mixed with water or small amount of gatorade when passing through an aide station. Try to blend it, or cut it down into smaller portions to help alleviate that stomach feeling.

Great idea; thanks.

—Mr. Hand

I cramp.
Somehow, it only seems to happen during races when I am amped up... This can be in events as short as an olympic or into halves.

I would say that most races I do will wind up being impacted by a cramp (or the feeling that Im about to cramp). Cramping only seems to happen on a run, after a bike. I have used hotshot at times for cramp relief, though have not really gotten into the pre-race / post race use.

Im currently planning on doing atlantic city 70.3 in september

Oh, I'm your prime testing candidate!

1. Definitely cramp once a week, twice/wk often.
a. Bike and run often. Swim occasionally after 3k
b. Painful to where I need to stop and stretch but maybe every two weeks a bad cramp that I'll be sore for a few days after. Usually inner thigh and front quads.
c. Stretch, salt, more salt, more volume of training, different intensity of training, hydrate more before long workouts,...
2. Currently live in TX, all previous training was in FL. Training for Punta del Este 70.3 in NOV.
3. Not sponsored by anyone, just my own wallet.

On the two HIM races, first race had severe leg cramps at about mile 40 and had to stop and stretch for 10min - run was tough after. Second race minor calf cramp on the bike then full on inner thigh cramp at about mile 10 of the run. Limped along and finished 5:45hr. Currently train about 15/wk - coached.
Last edited by: ArrozconMango: Jul 26, 17 20:14

I'm definitely interested as I've had a history of cramping.
1. I cramp or twinge every week to every other week. It depends on what I'm doing for my training. It usually happens with interval workout.
a. it happens with swim, bike and run. Most of the time it is my calves which occurs with all three. The second muscle that would cramp would be the medial foot arch muscle (I think it is the flexor hallucis brevis), which occur during swimming and running. During races I would get occasional cramps of my hamstrings but only for cycling.
b. They are all pretty severe. If the muscle twinges, I can sometimes back off the pace until it settles down. Once my muscles cramp, I have a hard time finishing workout or race because the cramps reoccur.
c. slowing down, stopping, walking, stretching
2. I live in US and my A race is IMMT.
3. Nope

I tasted at sample of the product at a booth (boulder peak). The taste was interesting, but not off putting so I don't think I'll have problems using it.

Definitely interested.

I suffer from cramping early and often. At Choo70.3 this year my ring finger on my left hand started cramping during the ride. I knew then that it was going to be a long ride. I had 2 bottles of Hotshot that kept me going for the first part of the run. My only remorse was that I didn't bring the whole 6 pack.

I cramp often when I swim as well. My biggest issue when racing is holding back enough to keep from cramping. I would love to test Hotshot on my upcoming IM. It is my first IM distance and it will be in Louisville in October. I also have 2 70.3s leading up to it.