Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ?
Quote | Reply
Sorry for not trying to find this answer somewhere on the IM website.

Imagine you are doing a Fall IM with a goal of KQing for the next year's Kona. Also assume you are racing in the Fall as a member of the 30-34 AG, but would be 35 the next year when Kona takes place. Are you competing in the Fall for a 30-34 slot, or a 35-39? That could have significant implications due to the competiveness of the group, number of slots awarded, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would be competing in this fall for a 30-34 slot then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Sorry for not trying to find this answer somewhere on the IM website.

Imagine you are doing a Fall IM with a goal of KQing for the next year's Kona. Also assume you are racing in the Fall as a member of the 30-34 AG, but would be 35 the next year when Kona takes place. Are you competing in the Fall for a 30-34 slot, or a 35-39? That could have significant implications due to the competiveness of the group, number of slots awarded, etc.

You compete for the slots in the age group you're in so for you 30-34 and if you get one race in the age group you're in next year i.e. in your case 35-39.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be racing in 35-39.

For example example I am 44 racing august 27 in cda. My birthday is august 30th. I am racing 45-49. IM has me listed as 45.

You race in the ag you will be.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Re: Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is wrong info to the op^^^^
He won't turn 35 until the 2018 season so this year he's still competing in the 30-34 ag, and will have to get a slot in that ag.
But once 2018 hits he will be in the 35-39 ag, and when he races Kona he will indeed be in that at ag.

What you wrote IS true but it wasn't an answer to the op's question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been explained it this way:

I'm racing a fall IM hoping to qualify. By the end of this year I'll be 34 (33 on race day) so I'm qualifying in 30-34 AG. Should I happen to qualify I'd race 35-39 in Kona because I'd be 35 end of year (34 on race day though).

Are you trying to qualify at IMFL?
Quote Reply
Re: Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ? [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:

I'm racing a fall IM hoping to qualify. By the end of this year I'll be 34 (33 on race day) so I'm qualifying in 30-34 AG. Should I happen to qualify I'd race 35-39 in Kona because I'd be 35 end of year (34 on race day though).

x2

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ? [cassidyfit1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, I misread the op.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great goal, best of luck to you. However, does it really matter?

I'd suggest just go the best you can race day and where the dice roll that is what you will have. It shouldn't matter who is there or not, or AG, you either have it or you don't that day. Regardless if you've been a KQ none, 1x or 20x.
Quote Reply
Re: Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
rjrankin wrote:

x2

Going for it at FL too?
Quote Reply
Re: Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ? [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
stevej wrote:
rjrankin wrote:

x2

Going for it at FL too?

Yup.

First IM for me. It could go either way for me..... I'm just hoping for a positive day and wherever that lands me, I'll take it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Spanning Age Groups -- Which One for KQ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll need a perfectly executed day, and then some luck
Quote Reply