Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it?
Quote | Reply
I have a deal where I can get Dura Ace instead of Ultegra for only $330 more. That's obviously only the derailleurs and the rest Ultra components. (Shifters, etc). Would you go for it, as it's a one time deal, or save the cash and go all Ultegra? I hate to wish I had, but not wanting to spend if it doesn't make sense. Thoughts? What are benefits, other than draining a wallet, of Dura Ace over Ultegra?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jul 18, 17 16:21
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultra....worth it? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually dura ace is a little lighter. Other than that I found the 3 yr no question asked warranty on dura ace components worth it when my RD broke down.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultra....worth it? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it really depends on you.

Depending on your setup, your training, etc. then there may be places where $330 would get you more improvement vs. the derailleurs. A better front wheel. 2 months with a coach. 3 nights in a cheap hotel about 4 hours from your house in shoulder season where you can do a 4 day training camp and load on a bunch of volume in a new location. A new TV for the trainer.

Or maybe you have all that and you're on the very very pointy end already.

If it were me (not on the pointy end) I'd spend the cash elsewhere. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price wise, that's a great deal if it's 9150. The ability to use a 32 could be helpful. Couldn't find weights for 8000 Ultegra, but the 9150 derailleurs save about 125gms over the 6870. I can't tell the difference between 9000 and 6770 in shifting - other than the extra features. I'd do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultra....worth it? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Price wise, that's a great deal if it's 9150. The ability to use a 32 could be helpful. Couldn't find weights for 8000 Ultegra, but the 9150 derailleurs save about 125gms over the 6870. I can't tell the difference between 9000 and 6770 in shifting - other than the extra features. I'd do it.

Thanks for the info and opinion! That is the 9150 F and R derailleur. I was going to go with the Ultegra aero and brake shifters though. As I like to buy less often, but good when I do I thought with the deal it may be wise this time to splurge. Not sure how many more bikes are in my future at my age.... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultra....worth it? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
I think it really depends on you.

Depending on your setup, your training, etc. then there may be places where $330 would get you more improvement vs. the derailleurs. A better front wheel. 2 months with a coach. 3 nights in a cheap hotel about 4 hours from your house in shoulder season where you can do a 4 day training camp and load on a bunch of volume in a new location. A new TV for the trainer.

Or maybe you have all that and you're on the very very pointy end already.

If it were me (not on the pointy end) I'd spend the cash elsewhere. But that's just me.

Thanks for the reply. While I'm not financially blessed I do have most of those things. Picked up a new set of Enves today, have a GREAT coach, and don't watch TV from my trainer. I do like to get the best I can afford, and maybe this is pointless but I thought I'd get some of the great ST wisdom to help make a decision.....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 3 bikes 2 with dura ace one with ulterga shifting is the same. Dura ace couple grams lighter. I guess what it comes down to which one do you like the looks of. The new ulterga is really cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Did you mean the new "shadow" Dura Ace is cool looking? I'm sure Ultegra would suit me fine, but for a the small extra cost it's tempting.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I have a deal where I can get Dura Ace instead of Ultegra for only $330 more. That's obviously only the derailleurs and the rest Ultra components. (Shifters, etc). Would you go for it, as it's a one time deal, or save the cash and go all Ultegra? I hate to wish I had, but not wanting to spend if it doesn't make sense. Thoughts? What are benefits, other than draining a wallet, of Dura Ace over Ultegra?

Thanks in advance.

I've got Di2 9150. Had Di2 9050 before that, and I've also had Ultegra Di2. To me the two main things I love about the 9150 is the semi-syncro shift (so the RD shifts automatically two gears when I shift the FD) and the fact that I've programmed the top buttons on my shifters to shift the RD. I know you won't get this functionality since you're using Ultegra shifters, and you didn't mention what battery you're getting with the setup. That being said, if I wasn't getting those two features, I'd save the money and buy something else for my bike. The inverse is if you think you may upgrade the shifters down the road, then I'd go ahead and get the 9150 derailleurs.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I've got Di2 9150. Had Di2 9050 before that, and I've also had Ultegra Di2. To me the two main things I love about the 9150 is the semi-syncro shift (so the RD shifts automatically two gears when I shift the FD) and the fact that I've programmed the top buttons on my shifters to shift the RD. I know you won't get this functionality since you're using Ultegra shifters, and you didn't mention what battery you're getting with the setup. That being said, if I wasn't getting those two features, I'd save the money and buy something else for my bike. The inverse is if you think you may upgrade the shifters down the road, then I'd go ahead and get the 9150 derailleurs.

Thanks. Interesting thoughts. I'm getting the internal battery. I can get the basebar DA shifters for about $40 more. I did read that one person thought the DA extension shifters were pretty much a waste of money and the Ultra would be more useful?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the ultegra. Use the $300 for a couple nice bibs. It's not worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary,

2 thoughts-

Will it make you faster?

Do you really want it?

I usually find that fulfilling the want is worth it, regardless of it is going to make you faster. Will you get Ultegra and always desire the DA? I know your a lifer and in the sport for the long haul, so maybe get the DA and just be done with it! Ha!

I have DA shifters, brake levers on my bike. They were not much more money that Ultegra. The rest is Ultegra. Works excellent. FYI.

No issue with Ultegra performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was talking about the road bike shifters rather than the TT ones. I have 9150 on my road bike. For TT I wouldn't think there would be much difference between ultegra and DA.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Gary,

2 thoughts-

Will it make you faster?

Do you really want it?

I usually find that fulfilling the want is worth it, regardless of it is going to make you faster. Will you get Ultegra and always desire the DA? I know your a lifer and in the sport for the long haul, so maybe get the DA and just be done with it! Ha!

I have DA shifters, brake levers on my bike. They were not much more money that Ultegra. The rest is Ultegra. Works excellent. FYI.

No issue with Ultegra performance.

Thanks for the input. Yes, 33-34 years in the sport and likely not many bikes left in my future. I hate to be the old fart with a kick ass bike and slow legs. ;-) I'm changing some things for fit, and then a Di2 setup became a possibility so of course I want to do it right, but not overkill. I think either way I'd be fine as there does not seem to be any glaring differences other than some weight of the components.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
[ I know you won't get this functionality since you're using Ultegra shifters

New Ultegra has the top button.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [PoorLBSEmployee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PoorLBSEmployee wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:
[ I know you won't get this functionality since you're using Ultegra shifters

New Ultegra has the top button.

Good to know. I was actually wondering this as I typed that response, but was too lazy to lookup new Ultegra as I couldn't remember reading if it had been released yet or what the details were...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I liked about the DA product set is the TT shifters. One button only, smaller profile, fits the hands better. I don't know about the brand-new Ultegras, however. But the DA shifters are smaller. I program the right one to upshift and the left one to downshift the cassette only. Only the basebar left shifter operate the FD / Chainrings and I only ever shift there when sitting up.

With the new battery and systems, you can program to shift the FD automatically anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is going to sound a little stupid- since the DA tt button(s) sits facing up, do you ever accidently press it by resting your hands on the end of the shifters? I was looking between DA and ultegra and this was one of my concerns. The two button ultegra bar end shifters rotate towards the centre, so I figured less chance of an accidental button press. I tend to lay my hands up and over the top of the bar ends so always wondered about DA buttons sticking up in the air.
I actually didn't realise there was a size difference between the two end shifters either
Quote Reply
Re: Di2....can get Dura Ace for only $330 more than Ultegra....worth it? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, accidental shifts don't happen. My grip actually wraps around the sides and bottom of the ends of the bars and shifters, with my thumbs together parallel in the center. The extensions are rotated towards each other so there is only a 2-thumb gap between their ends. That way the buttons actually sit in the "V" between my thumbs and first finger. My thumbs rest next to the buttons, not on them.

That probably doesn't make much sense.
Quote Reply