Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What (else) do Boomers do with their free time? [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aavlee wrote:
OK, so they were able to a buy a house in their 20's (now worth 5x more) off a 9-5 job that didn't require a degree and build up a ton of net worth for early retirement. When they aren't obsessing over the analysis of millennials and doing triathlons in between carnival cruises, how else are they spending their free time? Help me understand.

Post selfies of themselves working out. Make the name of their strava activity however fast they went on the bike or run that day. Post weird S*** on facebook all the time. Register for 4 70.3 a year and 2 ironmans. Probably only make it to half of those races. Rant on slowtwitch about kona slots going to younger age groups and suggest an idea that younger age groups don't get a kona slot. hmmmmmmmmmmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, give it up. I'm a tail-end Gen X'er and we have the least amount of free time after trying to clean up the mess that the boomers left us and trying to keep the millennials from screwing it up even worse.
Quote Reply
Re: What (else) do Boomers do with their free time? [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koz wrote:
Oh, give it up. I'm a tail-end Gen X'er and we have the least amount of free time after trying to clean up the mess that the boomers left us and trying to keep the millennials from screwing it up even worse.]

This. Is. Spot. On. (I'm in the same cohort, and IME: the pink font was a bit overkill).

What's worse: the millennials are now reproducing, and there's not nearly enough airspace for all the helicoptering...

ETA: my rents bought a beach-town waterfront vacation home for cash... and then saw it's value 4x in like 3yrs... at that point they moved into it full time for retirement...15?yrs ago. So they must be doing something right... 🤷🏻‍♂️

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 18, 17 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: What (else) do Boomers do with their free time? [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koz wrote:
Oh, give it up. I'm a tail-end Gen X'er and we have the least amount of free time after trying to clean up the mess that the boomers left us and trying to keep the millennials from screwing it up even worse.

Ha Ha Haaaaa!

Yes Yes Yes Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No particular order:
Spend 10 minutes per day on Slowtwitch learning everything I need to know to try to win my age group
Fix bikes
Relearn guitar, hopefully better than 'back in the day"
Plan trips
Work on motorhome to do those trips
Take 4-6 month long winter trips out west to get warm and see kids and soon to be grandkids . . .babysit as required
Spend time with the local kids, grandaughter, and babysit when we get the chance
Volunteer education at local eco park with young kids
Help out with various political campaigns
Help local kids with various home improvement projects
Do as much as humanly possible to get my assigned chores completed
Go have a beer with a few friends and complain about how the world is going to hell (not really, no time for that)
Go on local camping trips
Until last couple years, took care of our parents in many ways
Help our kids move from time to time
Gonna make beer one of these days when I have time
Read a lot when I make time or the weather is crappy
Okay, my 10 minutes of ST time is over for the day . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aavlee wrote:
OK, so they were able to a buy a house in their 20's (now worth 5x more) off a 9-5 job that didn't require a degree and build up a ton of net worth for early retirement. When they aren't obsessing over the analysis of millennials and doing triathlons in between carnival cruises, how else are they spending their free time? Help me understand.

I'm a boomer, that didn't happen.. no free time, too busy earning a living and paying for my millennial kids' college..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aavlee wrote:
how else are they spending their free time? Help me understand.

Counting their money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so they were able to a buy a house in their 20's (now worth 5x more) off a 9-5 job that didn't require a degree and build up a ton of net worth for early retirement.

Actually, I think you are referring to Boomer's parents.
Quote Reply
Re: What (else) do Boomers do with their free time? [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
They complain about the cancellation of the Racine 69.1 swim, since everyone knows it's not a real triathlon unless you swam in 40 degree water with 3-5 foot waves.

I thought TRI appears in the word triathlon to denote THREE disciplines. My damn public school education is failing me again
Quote Reply

Prev Next