Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee pain/ Bike Fit - SOLVED - Thanks to ERO Pennsylvania-
Quote | Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmQyT0gwfiA

All of a sudden this past weekend I started getting a sharp "hot spot" on my right knee right past the head of my VMO, I've never had any issues like this before so it has me befuddled. It isn't so much painful yet, though I can tell it will only worsen if not addressed as the spot seems to be irritated for about 24 hours after any kind of riding.

Curious to see if the fitters or physical therapists on here can see any easy adjustments that might alleviate the issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, starting to get stressed about this as I am 5 weeks out from my A race

So i just wanted to give a huge shout out to Missy Erickson and ERO Pennsylvania for helping me get my bike fit dialed in. Not only was she able to solve my knee pain and knee tracking issues but i am remarkably more comfortable in my aero position now. this was one of those moments where I didn't think my position was uncomfortable then she made a few tweaks to my saddle height and set back (forward and up WAY more then I would have done on my own) as well as the tilt of my extensions and it was night and day how much more comfortable I feel now and how much more sustainable my all around.
Not to mention the fact that i just feel more aero which by the laws of science mean I am aero....obviously.
But seriously if you live in the Mid Atlantic area you should check out ERO Pennsylvania very happy to finally have a seriously good fitter in my back yard
Last edited by: JustTooFarr: Aug 2, 17 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Physical Therapist/Fitter help needed- sudden acute knee discomfort- video included [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your saddle is probably too high.

did anything change this past weekend? fit related, running related, swimming related, life related, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Physical Therapist/Fitter help needed- sudden acute knee discomfort- video included [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I can pinpoint. I have let my mobility slip a bit over the last month or so, so I am diligently working on my hips twice a day or more to reclaim some of that aND hopefully decrease some of the tension on the knee
Quote Reply
Re: Physical Therapist/Fitter help needed- sudden acute knee discomfort- video included [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you take a video head on? Will get a better idea of how your knee is tracking through the pedal stroke. Any big volume changes recently? How does it feel on the run?

Brian Coughlan:Physiotherapist:innovationphysio.com:HackTriathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Physical Therapist/Fitter help needed- sudden acute knee discomfort- video included [bcoughla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No issue on the run, feels totally normal. (Saving grace considering I've come to terms with the fact I need to take the weekend off the bike while I get this figured out)

No dramatic volume swings either.

I will take a video later today head on
Quote Reply
Re: Physical Therapist/Fitter help needed- sudden acute knee discomfort- video included [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
your saddle is probably too high.

I thought it was a 'twitch hazing ritual but it truly is an epidemic isn't it?

But why? I think I've figured the reason for it.
How their (pick a pro) bike looks vs my bike should look too. And if I can reach the pedals, I'm good.
If you really need your saddle jacked, there are always those strap on blocks they use for kid's bikes I guess.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the pain is medial (as you're reporting). Try to move your cleat just a touch lateral (out). Could be several factors at play, but give that a shot.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Physical Therapist/Fitter help needed- sudden acute knee discomfort- video included [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will give that a shot, it doesn't feel like the mcl, the spot is right between the vmo and the patella more towards the top of the knee.

As you said, probably a ton of factors, but hopefully I can widle away at them and solve it sooner rather then latter
Last edited by: JustTooFarr: Jul 13, 17 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you:

1. Increased volume lately, or
2. Increased vertical gain lately.

I ask because what you're describing is very common and easy to fix, but won't typically just show up all of a sudden unless either #1 or #2 has happened. In other words, neither your mileage nor vertical gain was enough to expose the issue before, but because one of the two (or both) increased, suddenly you're feeling the symptoms of a problem that's been there all along.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Physical Therapist/Fitter help needed- sudden acute knee discomfort- video included [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, no major (sudden) increase in either.
I looked back through my training journal and forgot I did heavy squats (former powerlifter so not out of tge norm but out of the norn lately) the day before this issue popped up.
I am thinking I may have strained something (likely mcl) squatting and then it only presented itself an hour into the next ride.
At least that's my running theory at the moment
Thanks for your response, would be very interested to hear your thoughts on how to adjust my fit.
Last edited by: JustTooFarr: Jul 13, 17 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain/ Bike Fit - SOLVED - Thanks to ERO Pennsylvania- [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edited my first post in this thread.
Credit where credit is due and a huge thank you to ERO Pennsylvania
Quote Reply