Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coeur D'Alene (CDA) Bike Course Information
Quote | Reply
I live in the midwest so can't get out early enough to ride the bike course and would like a little feedback/advice on how to race the course. There is very limited race reports out there on the course so feel like I am flying a little blind. The hills are what they are. I know there is going to be a lot of climbing. Have done IMWI 2x now and just curious how it compares for those that have done both. It seems that this YouTube video is still the same bike course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmLIuV_vXg
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur D'Alene (CDA) Bike Course Information [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any feedback would be appreciated. Lots of people have posted they have done and like CDA. I have a chance to adjust my training a bit if it warrants it but just curious what has worked for people that have raced the course. The official IM course elevation gain is 7000 ft. That is a hefty amount of climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had about 5200 feet of climbing.

The bike course is mostly on highway, which you can drive before the race. Not much to see. There is just a 2 mile climb you have to do twice, not too bad. I'd be more concerned about the wind. Last year was pretty brutal.

I assume your IMWI bike split will be about the same as your IMCDA bike split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wind is the x factor. Usually head wind on the way out on the climb and a tail wind on the way back. Did the 70.3 a few weeks ago and it was more of a side wind, which did not provide the usual tail wind advantage on the way back. You'd be hard pressed to find a more simple bike course though, probably 4 real turns on each lap. Good Luck! See you out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur D'Alene (CDA) Bike Course Information [J Gers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? only 2 mile climb twice?
There is 3400 feet and a total of 11.5 miles of climbing. There are 5 total climbs on the 70.3 course. Makes for fun descents and you'll probably average what you normally average but the hills take a toll on your legs for the run for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, the wind is an x factor and the heat is as well. Last year was mid 90s and it's been mid 100s before. It's easy to forget how much salt you lose when the sweat is swept away by wind.

When I raced, the first lap was fine, but on the second lap, I saw people crying on the climb out of town and into a brutal head wind. My split was 22 minutes slower and something like 13 mph in this segment. So I'd say wind accounted for at least 30 minutes, if not more, and more energy expended that impacted the run.

The climbs are long and steady, nothing too steep. Straight descents and the only area to watch out is the bridge that connects town and the highway. It is single file / no pass zone and you will fly in there at the end of each loop. So make sure you pass slow descenders before you get to the bridge. Overall a beautiful area and while it is well-separated from traffic, your race support can follow you on the highway which is cool.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race twice; very sad to see it go as it would be my home race in a few years. Nevertheless, the "biggest" climb is the first one you hit once you leave town on the highway. There are multiple climbs throughout each lap, but for me the hardest ones were the first and last on the highway (the last is the backside of the first). Coming back from the highway turn around is definitely faster than the outbound effort...don't forget to check out the elk farm on the right!:o) All in all it is a challenging ride depending on your climbing abilities; unlike IMMOO, they climbs are longer efforts instead of constant undulations, which enables you to get into a pretty good rhythm. Lots of free speed on the downhills and you'll pass a ton of folks who over cooked the climbs and are just coasting (unless you're doing the same...believe there is still a marathon to run?). Coming back down the biggest climb...depending on your confidence in descending, you may or may not want to tuck from the hoods instead of being in aero; it can be a bit dicey if there is anyone else around.

If you have time to ride any of the course, I'd ride up and over the first hill, and then come back. There is plenty of shoulder to park on the road right before the climb.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did the half...

Its not nothing to think about, but as long as you have been training like its a hilly course, you will be fine. The great thing about the course though is that the climbs are all decently long, so you have time to get into a rhythm and don't need to constantly be in/out/in of the aerobars. The first out and back has one decent little climb, but the first pitch is the steepest. As soon as you turn the corner, it mellows out. The most difficult climb for me was the big one starting the second out and back (probably the 2-mile one someone mentioned) that I spent all out of the aerobars. But just pick a gear and power and stick with it. There are also a few false flats toward the turnaround on the second leg-if you have a power meter, watch your power going down that to make sure you aren't slacking off. Finally, the wind there was worse than I though it would be (but then again, I'm a 118 lb female) so adjust accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the 70.3 as well as a few practice rides. I was a bit worried about the climbing as it looked like a lot on paper, but I didn't find them to be too bad. The hills on the first out and back (to Higgins Point) are pretty short and don't last very long. The hills on highway 95 are quite a bit longer, however it's always less than 7% and it's pretty steady so as someone above mentioned it's easy to find a rhythm. Fwiw, I rode a 53/39 with a 11-25 cassette and stayed aero for every climb except the last climb into town (and that was more due to bad hamstring cramps from my subpar nutrition plan rather than the climb). For the full however I might get out of aero a bit on some of the climbs to give my back/neck a break. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but the last decent back into town has a no pass (and I believe no aerobar if I remember the sign correctly) section. This is for safety as you ride on the (quite wide) shoulder. Thankfully the did a good job cleaning up the roads and shoulders before the race.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2c:

Pretty much what others have said:

Most of the course is on a 4-6 lane divided highway 4-6%.

The climb at the other end is steeper but short. (Keep in mind you have to run some of this as well)

Descents are mostly straight shot.

Don't be that guy who passes in the no pass bridge zone, get clear on the descent before hand.

Cross winds or wind in general can be a problem. Got pushed around on disk/tri spoke.

About 5-10 minutes faster than whistler.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my race recon/report last year:

1. T1 out along lake (miles 0-7.4) mostly flat with one .75 mile 3% grade starting at 5.9 miles. Punchy hill, hurts more the second lap.
2. Back to town along lake (7.4-14.8)
3. Out along highway 95 to turn around (14.8-35.2) - no pass zone crossing the bridge out of town
a. First climb is at mile 18.5 and lasts 1.9 miles at about 6% grade. This is the steepest hill.
b. Quick 1.8 mile descent before next climb... easy to carry speed
c. Second main climb is just before mile 24, lasts 3 miles and is an easier grade than the first climb. You don't need to use your small ring if you're a strong rider.
d. Rolling hills from mile 27 to turn around at mile 35.2
4. Return to town (35.2-56)
a. USE YOUR DOWNHILL SPEED.
b. You have a climb from 46.7-49.9 >> It sneaks up on you.
c. No pass zone around mile 50
5. Loop 2
a. Climb 1 = 74.5-76.4
b. Climb 2 = 80-83.2
c. Turn around - 91.2
d. Last climb = 102.6

I led the bike until a quick mechanical at mile 95 last - the wind was no issue at the first lap but was HORRENDOUS on the second lap. Get in aero and just embrace the suck. It doesn't matter how fit you are... if the wind is bad, your second lap is going to be a mental battle.

Best of luck! Happy to give more insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, great town.

Yes, wind was insane on the second loop in 2016. Watch your handling on the way down those hills...gusts come out of nowhere and I saw 2 people wipe it on the descents.

The run was quite nice I thought...not too many hills, great support, especially at the turn around.

That lake will still have some chill in it no matter how hot the days leading up to the race.

Enjoy it, drink some local beer and marvel at the amazing sunsets.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur D'Alene (CDA) Bike Course Information [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did do a good job sweeping it out, but still keep your eyes up. There were a couple spots I was avoiding. Also, there is a lot of fresh pavement, so smile through all that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!!! Thank you all for the thorough/thoughtful responses!!! Looking forward to the race. Being from MN IMWI is relatively close and I can afford to train on the course. Not ever riding the course or even having been to CDA it makes me a little anxious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done IMWI, but I did Milkman this year which I understand is a different course. In terms of pure hills, I found Milkman more difficult (for the distance) due to constant up and down, tight turns, unable to run out speed, etc. But that CDA wind...

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure no matter what I will run my disc as I have never had a problem but will pay attention to forecasted conditions the day before. I don't think that wind hitting the back wheel makes much of a difference. The front is what throws people off track. Knock on wood I have never had the wind throw me around too bad. Famous last words as I go into this race. Haha
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur D'Alene (CDA) Bike Course Information [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b-rudy wrote:
As others have said, the wind is an x factor and the heat is as well. Last year was mid 90s and it's been mid 100s before. It's easy to forget how much salt you lose when the sweat is swept away by wind.

When I raced, the first lap was fine, but on the second lap, I saw people crying on the climb out of town and into a brutal head wind. My split was 22 minutes slower and something like 13 mph in this segment. So I'd say wind accounted for at least 30 minutes, if not more, and more energy expended that impacted the run.

The climbs are long and steady, nothing too steep. Straight descents and the only area to watch out is the bridge that connects town and the highway. It is single file / no pass zone and you will fly in there at the end of each loop. So make sure you pass slow descenders before you get to the bridge. Overall a beautiful area and while it is well-separated from traffic, your race support can follow you on the highway which is cool.

Haven't done the race, but knowing the area I would be shocked if it were anything less than 95 degrees during the run. Eastern WA / Northern ID in late August? Scorching.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur D'Alene (CDA) Bike Course Information [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The record high for that day is 93 and it seems to vary between 84-89 that day based on the last 5 years. It will be hot, but anything in the 95 range would be an outlier (like it was two years ago when I did it last...).
Quote Reply