Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Recovery Time
Quote | Reply
I am racing 70.3 Racine this weekend and it will be my first 70.3 I have done a lot of sprint and oly distance tris. But this being my first 70.3 I was wondering how much recovery time should I expect to take before getting back out and training again?

I am 32yrs old and pretty fit.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Recovery Time [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did Muncie on sat. Age 75 swam 1000 Monday. Riding 100 miles today but do not plan on a aggressive ride. Wednesday weights, easy 4 mile run, team Toledo open water swim 1600 yards. Listen to your body it will tell you everything you need to know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends if you tear yourself up out there or stay together. I ended up jogging IM Raliegh 70.3 this year so the next day was travel then I was back to hill sprints and training. Mostly out of frustration, but the point is that my body was in enough shape to handling it. It's been similar when I have had a great 70.3 race but forced myself to take 2 days off then reversed my taper back into training because it is a safe way to build. I have never had to take more than 2 days off but I have also only done five 70.3 distance races.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 35 and have been doing tris for a while now. I did a half the first weekend in June and raced it pretty hard. It was a full 3 weeks before I was able to resume "normal" training and have it feel right. I typically take the first week after the race super easy and then by the second weekend can get back to normal, but this time I needed some extra time before I fully recovered. My best advice is to listen to your body. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first 70.3 last month, Syracuse. You sound more fit than me, I'd put myself in the average range as far as triathletes go. I was sore in my hips for two days after the race, probably didn't help that I had a 6 hr drive home after the race. Then fatigued really quickly when I'd do medium efforts, either with weights or swimming in the week following it. Exactly one week after the race, I did a 100mi ride with some friends, and fared pretty well. Truth be told, better than I expected. I think it depends on what you want to do afterward. Running is more wear and tear on the body, but biking and swimming can be great tools for recovery, if done right, imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
I am racing 70.3 Racine this weekend and it will be my first 70.3 I have done a lot of sprint and oly distance tris. But this being my first 70.3 I was wondering how much recovery time should I expect to take before getting back out and training again?

I am 32yrs old and pretty fit.

There is the acute recovery phase which is what people feel and then their is the more chronic recovery phase, which you can still kinda see, feel if you have a keen understanding of how your body works. The amount of destruction you do to the body will be determined by how hard you push and how close you get to your theoretical best time given your current fitness and the conditions of the day, and also how far and below that average effort line you go at times. As a result you can imagine the time to recovery is quite variable.

Best suggestion is stay active after the race, with at least walking or swimming and incorporating some easy recovery rides, all of which promote recovery. Gradually increase the intensity and duration when you feel comfortable but don't push it. Some easy things to do are leave the gadgets at home after the race for about 7 days.

Wrote a few things for that might help including:

- Tips for a better Ironman 70.3 race
- Recovery tips for you Ironman 70.3 race

Have a great race. I was hoping to race Ironman Racine 70.3 but just got put on methylprednisolone but I would need a TUE to race with it in-competition. It is fine out-of-competition.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Recovery Time [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much emphasis should you place if any on any changes to resting HR as an indication of recovery? I did a 70.3 last weekend and feel great, have done a couple of easy swims, runs and rides and am keen to get back to full swing.

However ever since race day my resting HR has had a marked increase and is now a consistent 6BPM higher than it was prior to race day.

Being wary of recovery do I hold back based on this and stick to zone 1-2 for the remainder of week 1, or conversely 'listen' to my body which feels great and ramp back up gradually over the next few days?
Last edited by: lastlap: Feb 23, 22 20:25
Quote Reply