Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid Newbie Chain Questions
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of race wheels and I was looking at doing a different cassette than I have on my training wheels. Do I need a different length chain, or do I need to adjust my rear derailleur to accomodate different cassettes?

Another question, does a 9 speed chain come pre-cut to size or will I have to cut the chain (and how do I cut it if I need to).

Thanks for all the help that everyone here has given me so far

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Newbie Chain Questions [trent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are using a mountain bike cassette that has bunches more teeth than what you are currently using, the short answer is no. Just a bit of adjustment will do. It really has more to do with chanistay length. Switching to a chainring that is much larger (say three teeth or so) is a different story, and it is only a few more links (like one or two).

New chains come in one length, and you have to remove the excess. With a chain tool, you match the length of chain from what you have removed from your bike. Just pop off the excess.

But, I would watch a competent mechanic do this for your first time. No sense in doing something wrong and leaving you on the road.
Quote Reply