Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I was so intrigued with Diamondback's Andean I am oh so tempted to just go out and buy one. However, I do not need wheels as I got Zipp wheels but they are designed for rim brakes. Is there an adaptor I can buy so disc brakes will work?
Last edited by: marathonrunner: Jul 9, 17 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are joking right?

You have to buy new wheels

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
You are joking right?

You have to buy new wheels

I didn't know that. Darn! I am bummed out! Diamondback's Andean is one hot bike but I am not too thrilled about the HED Jet Disc wheel. It is not as stiff as Zipp's Super 9's and they don't seem to hold the speed as much. uggg. I wished I would have waited.

But the only reason I want the Diamondback Andean is because it looks so cool
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc brake wheels have more spokes and larger hubs

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 9, 17 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

I read some reviews on the Diamondback Andean and as cool as it looks, one of the biggest complaints was it was very heavy.

I am not a fan of the HED JET Disc as it has an aluminum rim and spokes which will make it less responsive than the Zipp Super 9 I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:

I am not a fan of the HED JET Disc as it has an aluminum rim and spokes which will make it less responsive than the Zipp Super 9 I have.

HED wheels are excellent, and not less responsive. The HED Jet+ is 1210g, the Zipp Super9 1175g.

There is no shortage of people at the very pointy end of cycling competitions with spoked discs.

Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:

HED wheels are excellent, and not less responsive. The HED Jet+ is 1210g, the Zipp Super9 1175g.

There is no shortage of people at the very pointy end of cycling competitions with spoked discs.

I saw on another thread, a person owned both and said the Zipp Super 9 felt lighter, more responsive, and held the speed a big better. I am not a pro athlete so every bit helps but I am sure HED paid this guy a lot to use their wheels. I had the old SRAM S80's and they were so heavy and sluggish feeling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:

Yea, that is just silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:

I saw on another thread, a person owned both and said the Zipp Super 9 felt lighter, more responsive, and held the speed a big better. I am not a pro athlete so every bit helps but I am sure HED paid this guy a lot to use their wheels. I had the old SRAM S80's and they were so heavy and sluggish feeling

That's a woman, and she's not riding as a pro there, but as part of Team USA.

But I'm going to correct myself! It appears the HED Volo disc is spoke-less! I didn't know HED made spokeless discs anymore.

But I'm sticking to my guns. There is no evidence I know of that you're giving up any measurable performance with a HED disc. If you want to go with anecdotal evidence or perception, that's fine. And I don't mean that in a derogatory way - we all make decisions that way sometimes. I certainly do. And sometimes we just buy really nice expensive things, which is fine too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you really have cash burning a hole in your pocket, Zipp does make a disc brake version of their Super 9 disc.
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
Well if you really have cash burning a hole in your pocket, Zipp does make a disc brake version of their Super 9 disc.

hahaha,,,, I cannot afford another Zipp Disc! Maybe if I win lottery then yes. I will have to do more research on HED"s Jet Disc but there were others that said it was not as responsive as the Zipp Super 9. I have never rode the HED Jet Disc so I cannot say for certain but the JET Disc is basicaly a Zipp 808 with a cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Jet disc is an aluminum rim with a full carbon cover bonded to the rim. The Stinger disc (if you want tubular) is a Stinger 9 with a carbon cover, but there is no disc brake version of a Stinger disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I read some reviews on the Diamondback Andean and as cool as it looks, one of the biggest complaints was it was very heavy.

This is silly. The Jet+ Disc is faster than anything Zipp make. Same for the Jet 9+. There is no difference in 'response' (and if anything the Jet will be more forgiving).
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
BryanD wrote:

This is silly. The Jet+ Disc is faster than anything Zipp make. Same for the Jet 9+. There is no difference in 'response' (and if anything the Jet will be more forgiving).

Hmmmm not so sold on that. Another thread has users pretty much agreeing the hed felt more comfortable but zip felt faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
Grill wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Hmmmm not so sold on that. Another thread has users pretty much agreeing the hed felt more comfortable but zip felt faster.

'Felt faster'? Doesn't mean a thing. Of course, let's not pretend that you care more about speed than looks, or you wouldn't want an Andean.
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
Grill wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
BryanD wrote:

'Felt faster'? Doesn't mean a thing. Of course, let's not pretend that you care more about speed than looks, or you wouldn't want an Andean.

I care about both looks and speed but i don't race so looks are probably more important. I will agree for the price, the Andean is simply the best value for the money as there is no middle man to take their cut in the price. I will have to see more side by side comparison of both wheels but after looking at the Andean, it did finish 3rd at Kona in its debut, but the guy who won it was on zipp wheels and a frame that was similar to Trek's speed concept. So much for the areo. The rider of the Andean inexplicably fell off the pace halfway. I think the weight of the bike finally got to him in spite of the fact maybe it is more aero than others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're splitting hairs. The speed diff between all these choices (the wheels, the frames) are so so small. Look at the wind tunnel results from the aero shootout.

You seem to base your opinion on what pros are winning on.....OK, so look at Lionel Sanders. He's ripping apart the bike courses on a HED Jet disc.

IMHO, the only reason not to buy a HED wheel is because the aluminum rim isn't as sexy looking as the Zipp carbon rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
I care about both looks and speed but i don't race so looks are probably more important. I will agree for the price, the Andean is simply the best value for the money as there is no middle man to take their cut in the price. I will have to see more side by side comparison of both wheels but after looking at the Andean, it did finish 3rd at Kona in its debut, but the guy who won it was on zipp wheels and a frame that was similar to Trek's speed concept. So much for the areo. The rider of the Andean inexplicably fell off the pace halfway. I think the weight of the bike finally got to him in spite of the fact maybe it is more aero than others.

So much for the aero? It's not the bike that wins or loses or gets 3rd in anything, it's the athlete riding it. Aero differences between all the equipment being discussed here are incredibly thin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
but after looking at the Andean, it did finish 3rd at Kona in its debut, but the guy who won it was on zipp wheels and a frame that was similar to Trek's speed concept. So much for the areo. The rider of the Andean inexplicably fell off the pace halfway. I think the weight of the bike finally got to him in spite of the fact maybe it is more aero than others.

holy cow. you have much to learn.
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
IMHO, the only reason not to buy a HED wheel is because the aluminum rim isn't as sexy looking as the Zipp carbon rim.

Jet Black. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the finish last?
Quote Reply
Re: WILL ZIPP'S SUPER 9 DISC WORK WITH A BIKE EQUIPPED WITH DISC BRAKES? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not overly impressed with my super 9. Seems you either adjust the lock ring to either have brake rub or excessive bearing friction. Replaced bearings but still the same.
Quote Reply