Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FLO Carbon brake pads?
Quote | Reply
I'm needing to replace my FLO brake pads for my FLO-45 wheels before an upcoming event. The warranty is void if you don't use their own brake pads, but I'm noticing on their website only Campy style is available. Am I looking at it incorrectly, or are they out of Shimano style pads?

It's unfortunate if they're out completely because I'm then forced to either not ride (current pads are very low) or use another brand's pads which void my wheel warranty.

http://www.flocycling.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=181

Does anyone else carry FLO brake pads?
If they are completely out of stock AND nobody else carries them, this is a reason to buy a different brand's wheels. Mavic and Zipp pads are available everywhere and there's no risk of not being able to get them (or void your warranty).

Thanks,
CBR
Last edited by: cbr shadow: Jul 9, 17 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another question: Is anyone here using brake pads other than the FLO pads on their FLO Wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess that Flo rims are made by Gigantex, so you could use the Gigantex "Equinox" carbon brake pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you contacted Flo, what did they Recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great question.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
When you contacted Flo, what did they Recommend?

Nothing yet, but I only sent out the question their way a few hours ago.

Their website and FAQ section is clear that using another brand voids the warranty though. If someone has had long-term success using a different brand pad I'd be open to it, which is what I'm asking above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo is probably requiring Equinox carbon brake pads for the warranty to be in effect.

And how would Flo know if you used a different brake pad if you didn't tell them?
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Flo is probably requiring Equinox carbon brake pads for the warranty to be in effect.

And how would Flo know if you used a different brake pad if you didn't tell them?

They probably wouldn't, but I think that's beside the point. I just don't want to ruin my wheels. I imagine they have that policy for a reason. Their website makes it sound like the epoxy that they use works best with their own pads, or that other pads can cause damage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They tell you to use their brake pads so they can sell you their brake pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I get what you mean, but I imagine that's not a very good money making scheme considering they only charge $10 per pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I've always wondered how the "Tie-In Sales" portion of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies here....

https://www.ftc.gov/...federal-warranty-law
Quote:
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. That’s a provision that requires a consumer to buy an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here is an example of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or service if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On those $10 per pair brake pads, they are making $8 profit and probably a little more profit on the shipping charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
On those $10 per pair brake pads, they are making $8 profit and probably a little more profit on the shipping charge.

Are there alternatives where you can buy quality brake pads for carbon rims for say $5 a pair shipped free?

I mean...God forbid a company try to turn a profit on a product they sell. The fucking nerve of them.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Are there alternatives where you can buy quality brake pads for carbon rims for say $5 a pair shipped free?

I mean...God forbid a company try to turn a profit on a product they sell. The fucking nerve of them.

+1

I'm not offended that they want to make a profit, especially since they're one of the cheapest options.

The only thing is that if you're going to require that everyone buys your pads to keep their warranty, you better have a huge surplus so there's no risk of running out.

I'll call FLO this morning to see what their recommendations are and will post back.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Equinox carbon brake pads in stock and can sell them for $5 per pair with free shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I have the Equinox carbon brake pads in stock and can sell them for $5 per pair with free shipping.

I'll take you up on that. Can you link me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just send me a private message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are not the only company that requires their own brake pads. Right from the ENVE website: "NVE brake pads and ENVE brass nipples are designed specifically for our rims, and failure to use either voids your warranty."

Also, just for reference they do not charge shipping shipping for the pads, so that $10 includes the shipping cost of the pads.

On the other note somebody stated, They do need to keep them in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went to the Enve website and mocked up an order. They charge $20 per pair for their brake pads and $5 for shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Really? Come on. We ask people to use our brake pads so they know and we know what pads they are using. It is VERY easy to use the wrong pads and we do this to prevent potential issues and upset customers. If you really think we are just telling our customers this simply so we can profit off of them then I think you are reaching. Honestly, by the time I pay for the pads, pay for my fulfillment center to package the order, and pay for the shipping, we might make a couple of dollars. If I wanted to profit, I would charge people the outrageous prices that I have paid for other brake pads. All of our accessories are that way, we've never believed in charging excess for accessories.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I'm needing to replace my FLO brake pads for my FLO-45 wheels before an upcoming event. The warranty is void if you don't use their own brake pads, but I'm noticing on their website only Campy style is available. Am I looking at it incorrectly, or are they out of Shimano style pads?

It's unfortunate if they're out completely because I'm then forced to either not ride (current pads are very low) or use another brand's pads which void my wheel warranty.

http://www.flocycling.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=181

Does anyone else carry FLO brake pads?
If they are completely out of stock AND nobody else carries them, this is a reason to buy a different brand's wheels. Mavic and Zipp pads are available everywhere and there's no risk of not being able to get them (or void your warranty).

Thanks,
CBR

I'm supposed to have pads in stock this week, but I'm waiting for a confirmation. If you need something right away, I understand, and recommend Swiss Stop Black Prince Brake pads. I've had recent discussions with my factory we can approve those as well.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Using the wrong pads and then lying about it is a good solution?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

When you are out of the proper brake pads, the practical solution is to use a similar brake pad and keep your mouth shut.

Are your rims made by Gigantex?

(I am sure that you know that I can verify your answer.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Canadian wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

When you are out of the proper brake pads, the practical solution is to use a similar brake pad and keep your mouth shut.

I've provided an alternative approved solution to the customer, and if it's a rush scenario I can pull some strings and get the customer what they need in a hurry. The practical solution is talking to the brand and solving the issue... which the customer did.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Carbon brake pads? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Canadian wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I've provided an alternative approved solution to the customer, and if it's a rush scenario I can pull some strings and get the customer what they need in a hurry. The practical solution is talking to the brand and solving the issue... which the customer did.

To wrap up this thread: I did call FLO and spoke directly to one of the owners, John. He mentioned that they'd have stock again shortly and also said that I can use the Swissstop Black Princes while keeping my warranty. I think that's an acceptable solution and was impressed by how accessible John and Chris are.
Quote Reply