Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd
Quote | Reply
How mature is this tech? Worth getting?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Stryd for about a year now. Technology wise, it works well and no major problems. My footpod went bad a few months ago and Stryd promptly replaced it. In terms of data, it has been very valuable to me and I've learned quite a few unique insights that have improved my running. Most specifically, being able to analyze my run power data in Trainingpeaks similar to how I look at cycling power data has been pretty revealing. I'm able to target watt ranges for run intervals regardless of the grade I'm running on. Without power, pace is kind of a wildcard on inclines and declines.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russ Brandt wrote:
I've been using Stryd for about a year now. Technology wise, it works well and no major problems. My footpod went bad a few months ago and Stryd promptly replaced it. In terms of data, it has been very valuable to me and I've learned quite a few unique insights that have improved my running. Most specifically, being able to analyze my run power data in Trainingpeaks similar to how I look at cycling power data has been pretty revealing. I'm able to target watt ranges for run intervals regardless of the grade I'm running on. Without power, pace is kind of a wildcard on inclines and declines.

Do you record Relative Perceived Effort ima training log and how does it correlate? For instance, this past weekend I did a 10k race that included a couple miles of road, a few miles of single track, and the remainder beach sand and dunes. I kept me RPE constant and had success - would having my running power from Stryd change anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like in cycling, if you have a really good sense of RPE, then you shouldn't see anything drastically different than what you already feel. Power goes up when you work harder and goes down when you run easier. However, different from cycling, you can't truly coast when running so seeing the power go down when to running downhill is a good reminder to keep chugging if you are trying to run a steady watt strategy. In your example, stryd may not capture the extra effort running in sand, and it may not capture stiff headwinds so it's not perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russ Brandt wrote:
Just like in cycling, if you have a really good sense of RPE, then you shouldn't see anything drastically different than what you already feel. Power goes up when you work harder and goes down when you run easier. However, different from cycling, you can't truly coast when running so seeing the power go down when to running downhill is a good reminder to keep chugging if you are trying to run a steady watt strategy. In your example, stryd may not capture the extra effort running in sand, and it may not capture stiff headwinds so it's not perfect.

Their update a month or so ago really improved power when running downhill and over rough terrain, like sand. I find it's spot on with RPE and like bike power, it lets me know when to hold back or pick it up, but what I consider best, is having TSS values that I find so, so much better than rTSS.

Strava was (and might still be for some people) recording run TSS in the fitness/freshness chart, but that ended for me last week, but Training Peaks has me covered in that regard.

I find stryd indispensable at this point, even if running by RPE, the post-hoc analysis and TSS value are must-haves for me.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expect this will be mainstream, per se, very shortly as are bike power meters. Some of the extra metrics are unnecessary but kudos to the team with their software and analysis platform, top knotch even with the extra metrics.

I'd expect the next evolution to be a dual pod system once they further refine the consistency within the output for various conditions.

Wouldn't hesitate at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the foot pod version since December, and I really enjoy it. I have not changed my training yet to actually train by power, but that is when it truly yields benefits. I have basically been lazy and "collecting baseline data." Still, it gives great data insights during a run, and the post-run analysis is fun to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
what I consider best, is having TSS values that I find so, so much better than rTSS.

I'm a big fan of that too.

A running power duration curve is nice to have, I've got one setup for pre and post a hip indury, so I can see what the delta is.

One interesting thing i've found is that I used to try and control pace, but with sometimes it just felt wrong. With the Styrd I've found that this was often on small inclines/declines, holding RPE I'll actually see a fairly consistant power (with varying pace)

Day to day I'll find RPE wanders around a bit, today's 7 may well be tomorrow's 5, but with the power data I can split perception from reality, even if I'm running different courses.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll also comment that Angus at Stryd provides best in class customer service, hands down.

I'm glad Training Peaks supports it. With Strava not supporting it, as of last week via their version of the TP performance chart, I wrote Strava stating that if it's not a glitch and they have no plan of (partially) supporting Stryd any longer, I'll end my premium service. With no response or explanation, Strava ended my premium service - that is not best in class customer service. I'd really like to see the Strava and TP platforms merge, with TP replacing the Strava poorly-done attempts at replicating TP analysis services, and for Best Bike Split to also be cleanly integrated into the same platform. That's a merger I could get behind.

update: strava responded letting me know they cancelled my premium service (after cancelling & refunding me), and I communicated to them re: stryd

update: Training Peaks is saying Tapiriik is working, so I reported the following error to them to see if it's something with a known work-around: https://github.com/.../tapiriik/issues/308 , and TP is having their API guys reach out to Colin of Tapiriik and TP has been super responsive and helpful. great stuff. super impressed

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 10, 17 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently spoke to Strava reps on this re Stryd. Power is not in immediate plans but it is being monitored. I think they are taking a wait and see approach.

My 2 cents, the recent addition of other platforms adding power may be the final straw for Strava.

Can't speak to the other points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the original chest strap and I've been using it for over 1.5 years now. My biggest qualm about it is that I'm not able to monitor the output like on the bike. The act of raising your arm to see the power output on the watch face takes away from my natural running form. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it however but it's definitely not an apples to apples comparison to bike power meters in that respect.

Like others have said however it has allowed me to do more post workout analysis and better tracking of my run fatigue during training blocks. That is a pretty good addition for the data nerds out there for what it's worth. It's also been able to show me my various power outputs for certain scenarios.

E.G. Intervals .... I can see what my all out 100M Sprint is vs my 1km repeats. Also how much extra power I need to cover a surge when racing or in a training group on the road. Things like that are good for keeping you honest during a race and discovering boundaries and how to stay within them to prevent a blow up.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply