Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sick before race day
Quote | Reply
I have a full distance race for tomorrow. I have been diagnosed w E. coli poisoning. I got it from a bad salad. It's not bad enough that I have to go to the hospital but I have had loose stool and occasional vomiting since last Friday. It will be a week today that I haven't had solid stool or been
Able to eat without cramps. Am I crazy to think I can just pop an Imodium tomorrow and do the race? It's just so devastating to train for so long and then get sick a week out. I don't have a fever and other than the bowel issues and cramping I feel fine. I just want others opinion. Thanks
Last edited by: lmb326: Jul 7, 17 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Sick before race day [lmb326] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmb326 wrote:
I have a full distance race for tomorrow. I have been diagnosed w E. coli poisoning. I got it from a bad salad. It's not bad enough that I have to go to the hospital but I have had loose stool and occasional vomiting since last Friday. It will be a week today that I haven't had solid stool or been
Able to eat without cramps. Am I crazy to think I can just pop an Imodium tomorrow and do the race? It's just so devastating to train for so long and then get sick a week out. I don't have a fever and other than the bowel issues and cramping I feel fine. I just want others opinion. Thanks

I have know folks who had this happen right before their A race. The last one I talked with gave it a try but had to bail half way through the bike.

I guess you have nothing to lose, assuming you do not crash on the bike, but knowing it might delay your recover, and clearly, your race time will be poor.
But worse that probably would happen is a DNF.

Hope you recover quickly. One of my fears is having this happen to me before a big race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Sick before race day [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I am not expecting any PR's. And I was thinking the same, worst case scenario: DNF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recognized your username from the HITS thread. Make sure you have an avenue to get in contact with someone should you need to bail in the bike given how lonely that course is.

Also, given the storm we're having right now, I am getting concerned about both a super muddy transition as well as water quality.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Sick before race day [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup that's me. And my husband will be there if I need assistance. Thanks!
I'm a bit worried too re the mud!! I'm still in jersey but I'm sure it rained hard up there too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you have nothing to lose,//

Come on Dave, this is the most idiotic thing you have ever said. To the OP, DO NOT RACE SICK!!!!! Nothing to lose except your health, maybe some feet of your colon, perhaps screwing up your heart for the rest of your life, or maybe you will just drop dead. Other than that, really nothing to lose.

Put it this way, what is there to gain? You are sick, you will 100% have a bad race, what will that do for you??
Quote Reply
Re: Sick before race day [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after talking to my husband, i'm withdrawing. not worth jeopardizing my health for one race. i'm devastated but i know its the right thing to do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say smart move. If you have the time and money, see if you can find another race in a few weeks.
Or if it is a HITS race can you transfer to a short distance? Imodium might get you through the sprint or Oly.
Full distance is hard enough when you are healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 i'm devastated but i know its the right thing to do //

No, devastation would be if you raced and ended up in the hospital, or had a life long injury. Good choice, lets just say you are unhappy about it..)-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perspective is a good thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Come on Dave, this is the most idiotic thing you have ever said. To the OP, DO NOT RACE SICK!!!!! Nothing to lose except your health, maybe some feet of your colon, perhaps screwing up your heart for the rest of your life, or maybe you will just drop dead. Other than that, really nothing to lose.

Put it this way, what is there to gain? You are sick, you will 100% have a bad race, what will that do for you??

I just did not want to be that honest. I tried to use words to lead her to the water, but not shove her head in it. And use, the quote you copied, was written clearly with hint hint.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
monty wrote:

I just did not want to be that honest. I tried to use words to lead her to the water, but not shove her head in it. And use, the quote you copied, was written clearly with hint hint.

Poor attempt to rationalize your terrible advice. Eat crow, as you say, and admit it was poor advice. Or, learn to write and your 'hint, hint' might be understood by someone other than yourself.
Quote Reply