Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which is worse? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I have a kid in school. I have heard those little shits talk.

Xhe would be mocked endlessly until they chose.

I don't doubt that. I just honestly do not know. I have a couple school district clients with transgender students. I am amazed and impressed with how, more often than not, the transgendered student is accepted by his/her peers.

I've got 1 still in HS, the other graduated recently. Between the 2 of them, I personally know of at least 3 classmates who 'switched teams' during HS. Given the total HS population, there are likely more still, but those 3 were involved in extra music/sports/cultural activities with our kids outside of school and had all grown up through the same middle school previously, so we already knew them. In one of the cases, we know the parents fairly well also through other common social circles.

Calling it 'normal' might still be a stretch, but like you I was quickly struck by how big a deal it wasn't around the other kids. For me the big fascination is how the rest of the family has to go through this huge transition process along w/ the kid. I'm sure there are some other kids who've given them a bunch of shit at one time or another, but aside from the most obvious concessions (one had to give up swim team, even though she was quite fast before) everyone appeared to get used to it pretty quick. For us, the most awkward part is still re-training the speaking habits (names, pronouns, etc); after knowing these kids for years, our kids start referring to their friends/cohorts by a new name in passing and we're like "Who's that?" and they just shrug it off like, "You know, <old name>" as if they just opened the fridge and you go "What's that?" and they simply answered, "You know, broccoli" (duh, with the typical dismissive teenage disdain).

As usual, the next generation is already way ahead of us on this one...

No trans kids in my kids school that I know of but I'm still surprised by how accepting they are of kids who are gay, have disabilities, are foreign, etc. Stuff that would have gotten you ridiculed when I was a kid.

I find it interesting that some of my son's friends get shit for being on the chess team but not doing show choir.

Petition Disney to come out with High School Chess Club musical and you're set.

I think one of the differences here is that I'm assuming some of the difference is how popular the kids were. If they were doing a bunch of sport or other activities they probabaly have a good social group and are well adjusted.

My bigger concern is with kids like in the OP where they are not in anyway going to be adjusted to a normal life, be loners and then have to deal with this.

With all the shows and reporting now on it. It probably makes the kids view this as normal and it doesn't make a difference to them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next