Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power meter vs smart trainer [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've listed a number of disadvantages to having power information during a race. I'd argue that having more information available doesn't make you stupid, nor more likely to make bad decisions.

One is not forced to stick with a plan if conditions seem to indicate modifying the plan.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter vs smart trainer [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Your RPE and HR, how you actually feel on race day, are far superior race day metrics to the watts people often blindly chase during a race.

An RPE for an IF of .75 feels ridiculously easy at the beginning of an IM and pretty darn challenging by mile 90. The vast majority of bikers pacing their effort via RPE go significantly too hard for the first third of their race. If it's way the heck hotter than you've been doing your test rides in then you're an idiot if you don't back off 5% or so.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter vs smart trainer [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Your RPE and HR, how you actually feel on race day, are far superior race day metrics to the watts people often blindly chase during a race.

An RPE for an IF of .75 feels ridiculously easy at the beginning of an IM and pretty darn challenging by mile 90. The vast majority of bikers pacing their effort via RPE go significantly too hard for the first third of their race. If it's way the heck hotter than you've been doing your test rides in then you're an idiot if you don't back off 5% or so.

RangerGress wrote:
You've listed a number of disadvantages to having power information during a race. I'd argue that having more information available doesn't make you stupid, nor more likely to make bad decisions.

One is not forced to stick with a plan if conditions seem to indicate modifying the plan.

To the bolded parts... both you guys have been to Ironman races before, right? :-)

How many times have you seen people at races or read race reports in which people kept to their goal watts no matter what, and wonder why they fell apart in the latter parts of the race? I'd say that's the norm rather than the exception for the majority of the AG field pacing using power meters when conditions don't match their typical training. They will continue to ride their goal watts.

I do agree that having more info doesn't make you stupid. It's what you choose to do or not do with that info that can make one stupid. Lots of folks will ignore indicators that race day watts are too hard (HR too high, RPE seems too high, just feeling like shit) and soldier on. Not everyone walking most of the 13.1 or 26.2 lacked run or bike fitness. They lacked common sense race day tactics and decision making.

My quasi useless statement was my way of saying people don't use them right on race day. Or more specifically don't adjust to what their bodies are telling them.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter vs smart trainer [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
A smart trainer was the most productive money I spent on racing. I can only speak for myself, but yes, ERG mode was a difference maker.

I have a Kickr I use with Trainer Road and Zwift, and it's awesome.

Agreed!
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter vs smart trainer [TriBluMCS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter vs smart trainer [TriBluMCS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree as well.

I was stuck for the longest time @ an FTP of 275ish, with Trainer Road and a smart trainer and 4 months I have bumped my FTP up to 300. (That is not a power meter thing as I have three to compare and the FTP changes are consistent).

I actually started with a Vortex, but am currently training with a Kicker2, deciding if I should buy the Kicker2 or get a new Hammer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next