Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming up and down a fast river
Quote | Reply
Is there a relative loss from swimming up and down a fast river compared with a lake without current?
So today I swam and down a river. 1.8mph up 2.7mph down.
Obviously av 2.25, would this be the same if I was swimming in a calm lake or is there some loss from having to swim up against the current, similar to the loss you can get from biking into a headwind and then having a tailwind?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming up and down a fast river [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.7mph down
1.8mph up
Assume 5.4 miles up and 5.4 miles back.
3 hours, 2 hours back.
Real average speed = (5.4+5.4) / 5 = 2.16mph

If your average speed was 2.25 in a non current swim, your time would be 10.8/2.25 = 4.8 units of time.

That's a four percent saving in a calm swim.

Unless my maths have failed me.

I know in an out and back run, a tailwind seems to not give as much assistance as the headwind hampered me...
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming up and down a fast river [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harmonic Mean (2 numbers):

H = 2xy/x+y

Plug in your speeds and it is 2.16

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming up and down a fast river [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember speed is a function over time ~ you spend a greater duration at the slower speed vs the faster speed over the same distance, so the slower leg carries more 'weight'; i.e., the average speed is not an even split in the middle, but skewed towards the slower pole. So, the greater the current, the more the upstream leg will drag down the net average.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming up and down a fast river [CyclingBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingBrad02 wrote:
Harmonic Mean (2 numbers):
H = 2xy/x+y
Plug in your speeds and it is 2.16

But who is going to remember that obscure formula??? The way Luke approached the problem is better IMO b/c he did not have to remember and/or look up that formula. His approach is much simpler.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply