Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not always cars/drivers as I can testify as of 3 weeks ago and hitting a dog at a high speed. I am now $1K out of pocket on medical cost and the results of the MRI next week may determine if the cost continue to rise with surgery and PT. I've had plenty of close calls with dogs and cars before. This crash is costing more financially and pain level than the 3 previous significant crashes that I've had. I am now walking okay, going up down stairs without assistance and starting to ramp up indoor training to Tempo level. I did a 40 mile ride Sunday on a rails to trails path and I am very much looking forward to getting back out on my usual routes.

However, I don't blame you or anyone else for making a change of path. I have a cycling friend that stopped riding outside because he lost his job and had a change of insurance. He had crashed a number of years ago (his fault) and had a hip replacement. He said he couldn't afford to take a risk of getting hurt again because the out of pocket cost would devastate him financially. I respect that choice. The woman that did my MRI said her brother was just hit by a UPS truck in a group ride and has a broken neck, back and a few other injuries. I can also see how parents have a change of course being that their children depend on them financially and physically. I know a couple that both competed at a higher level in triathlon and both stopped cycling on the road after their first child.

We each have to weigh out the risk/reward ratio. For me I do love being out on country roads on the weekends after having to do indoor training through the weekdays.
You don't have to feel bad about changing directions if it is causing you anxiety and you can always change back if it calms.

Best wishes
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Jun 30, 17 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Quote:
Are you interested in sharing some of your routes? It could be the roads I ride on now are just busy. Need to update my routes.

If you've ever ridden the Holland Hundred you've ridden a lot of the roads I ride on. It even includes a short stretch on A37. I live right under that box on the left that says, "left/right jog on 58th". When I see all the posts about aggressive drivers and getting buzzed I'm thankful for where I live. When I see those posts from you, it honestly confuses me a little. Hudsonville has one of the nicest populations I've ever experienced.

Got it. Thanks. I'm going to just change up my routes and see how it goes.

I looked into the 19 year old runner killed in Overisel. According to witness and running partner, they crossed road without looking for cars.

Quote | Reply
Well said Dave Campbell - couldn't agree more. Twice on the ground from having a car hit my rear wheel was enough for me. Only time I train outdoors is on a local bike path early Sunday mornings. I would rather get my quality 1-1.5 hours in on the trainer and be done, knowing that I am just a few feet away from my family if they need me for anything.

Granted it isn't the best way to get a feel for the road, but triathlons don't really require THAT much by way of handling as long as one can keep a straight line and know when to lift their head up.
Last edited by: Hammer50: Jun 30, 17 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [Hammer50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer50 wrote:
Well said Dave Campbell - couldn't agree more. Twice on the ground from having a car hit my rear wheel was enough for me. Only time I train outdoors is on a local bike path early Sunday mornings. I would rather get my quality 1-1.5 hours in on the trainer and be done, knowing that I am just a few feet away from my family if they need me for anything.

Granted it isn't the best way to get a feel for the road, but triathlons don't really require THAT much by way of handling as long as one can keep a straight line and know when to lift their head up.

Totally agree. Some things for work some folks, other things for others.

I smile since some love to ride their bikes lots of miles, but many probably do very little running, inside or outside.
I would much rather run outside than ride outside. That being said, doing my 30 minutes treadmills runs is so much better in terms of time management for me.

Whatever it takes to get folks to exercise, no matter when, where or how, have my support.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
lassekk wrote:
This seems to be a huge problem in the US.
Are there just more drunk drivers/capita, or are people still suprised that cyclist excist? Or is it just no bike lanes anywhere?

Yes.

Plus, add in driver entitlement -
it's my God given right to drive!!,
impatience -
and get where *I* am going with no delays!!,
stupidity - I PAY TAXES!!
and distraction -
oh look, a text!! Let me put down my beer/makeup/coffee/whatever to answer that!!
and you get driver/bike the situation in 'Murica.
This is a "review" posted on another tri site for the Chelan man, a race that takes place in rural WA:

Your blocking traffic, I am trap. Who gave you authorization to take over the road?

WTF?

>>>Your blocking traffic,

No we are not. Slowing down traffic by a few minutes? Yes probably.

>>>I am trap

Unable to translate from redneck.

>>>Who gave you authorization to take over the road?

Your town did. Why did you not participate in civic activities and attended the town hall meeting and made your voice heard then?
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
I do all my weekly rides inside, Only ride outside very early on Sunday mornings before most people are awake.

I often do this. Plus a mountain bike ride on the weekend as well.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Three people I know have been killed this year. All drunk drivers with one hit-run (caught). I just can't bring myself to ride on the road. I use to love it and still do but fear stops

I switched to mainly gravel roads but fear still there.

Sad its come to this. May retire from triathlons and return to my mountain biking roots.

Sorry to hear about your friends. I've been struggling with the same thoughts and fears for 2 years now. We had our 1st kid 15 months ago and I haven't ridden since 2015 Oct. I have great shoulders out here, but I have seen some awful drifting due to cell phones (while I drive on the roads here). I am out of shape, and riding was my passion for many years. I even finally got my dream bike (trek speed concept) and used it for half the season. Now I look at it and wonder if I'll ever take it out. My wife has always been a supporter of tri and I just can't imagine her and my son without me, because I was hit while riding.

I love to golf, and that has taken over for now
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:
I do all my weekly rides inside, Only ride outside very early on Sunday mornings before most people are awake.

I often do this. Plus a mountain bike ride on the weekend as well.

same here :-/

7-9AM, 11.30AMOM to 1.30, and PM5-7PM are scary hrs to drive around here (RI)

Trainer during the week and outside Saturday and/or Sundays.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Given into the fear of death? Yes, I guess I too have "given in". Shame on me for putting my family ahead of a hobby. Riding in the road more often will show the world who is best. To each his own on this topic I say.

We all are going to die. Nobody gets out of here alive.

You have greater odds dying in your own car or from slipping in your bathtub, than while cycling outside.
Did you give up those unsafe activities too?
For your family?

It's likely that cycling is no more dangerous today than it was 10, 20, 50 years ago - it's just that with the interwebs we're now more aware of when bad things happen anywhere, than we were prior.
Which makes the perception of it seem more dangerous than it actually is.

I'm all for anybody getting whatever exercise they can, how they can.
It's just a shame that so many willing give up the absolute best part of cycling - the freedom - willingly, out of fear.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok if you say so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Given into the fear of death? Yes, I guess I too have "given in". Shame on me for putting my family ahead of a hobby. Riding in the road more often will show the world who is best. To each his own on this topic I say.

You have greater odds dying in your own car or from slipping in your bathtub, than while cycling outside.
For your family?

It's likely that cycling is no more dangerous today than it was 10, 20, 50 years ago - it's just that with the interwebs we're now more aware of when bad things happen anywhere, than we were prior.

It's just a shame that so many willing give up the absolute best part of cycling - the freedom - willingly, out of fear.

At least up to 2014, I'm not sure the statistics bear out that it is safer than it was in the past.
From the NHTSA, from 2004 - 2013 as a percentage of all fatalities on the road has increased. To quote: "The increase in 2013 is the third straight year in pedalcyclist fatalities and a 19% increase since 2010". I couldn't find a newer report from the NHTSA.

Everyone obviously has a different appetite for risk, but it does seem that the numbers bear out that there has been both an increase in the total number and as a percentage of traffic accidents it is higher as well.

Source: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/...ewPublication/812151
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [ilsapproach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilsapproach wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

For your family?

At least up to 2014, I'm not sure the statistics bear out that it is safer than it was in the past.
From the NHTSA, from 2004 - 2013 as a percentage of all fatalities on the road has increased. To quote: "The increase in 2013 is the third straight year in pedalcyclist fatalities and a 19% increase since 2010". I couldn't find a newer report from the NHTSA.

Everyone obviously has a different appetite for risk, but it does seem that the numbers bear out that there has been both an increase in the total number and as a percentage of traffic accidents it is higher as well.

Source: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/...ewPublication/812151

So how is that relevant if the number of cyclists on the road has increased accordingly ('The man who shall not be named'-Effect...)?
This fancy study is meaningless unless the total # of cyclists that were riding outside is known.

Yes, I think driving etiquette has deteriorated and there are more and more people out there who are physically or mentally unfit to drive.

There are also more cyclists out there who think they own the road...with all the nasty consequences.

TO all those who claim one does not need to ride outside to be able to confidently and safely control your bike in a race:

Well, it is pretty obvious that this is not the case (seeing the avoidable accidents at races and the displayed total ignorance about riding etiquette).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can certainly understand where you are coming from.
I sometimes wonder if I will return home from a ride.
I really enjoy indoor training and I could easily convert to that for almost all my riding.
My own winter training is at least 90% totally indoors anyway.

Two things make me continue to go outside.
The silly one is that I focus on TSS and a good weekend ride gives me 200-300. I don't do that sort of effort on a trainer, mostly 60-90 minutes so upto about 100 TSS.

The other reason is that the trainer does not really prepare me for hills and changes of undulation.
However do what ever is right for you. I think Lionel Sanders dos a lot of his work indoors and I am sure many other top riders do so as well.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
This fancy study is meaningless unless the total # of cyclists that were riding outside is known.

TO all those who claim one does not need to ride outside to be able to confidently and safely control your bike in a race:

Well, it is pretty obvious that this is not the case (seeing the avoidable accidents at races and the displayed total ignorance about riding etiquette).

So we can dismiss the study for not having enough data but your conclusion is obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Three people I know have been killed this year. All drunk drivers with one hit-run (caught). I just can't bring myself to ride on the road. I use to love it and still do but fear stops

I switched to mainly gravel roads but fear still there.

Sad its come to this. May retire from triathlons and return to my mountain biking roots.

So sorry to hear of this....I too have switched to almost all indoor riding, sadly. Each time I go out on my bike, I encounter people texting, just not paying attention, angry at bikers - WHAT HAVE YOU - and you can be done in an instant of any of these. Just too much on the line to enjoy it anymore. Stay safe everybody!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost never ride outside, I wonder m*therf*cking why:

Today, 7:30 AM Saturday, in my own neighborhood with speed bumps all over and a public school zone that causes the streets to be closed 7 hours a day, just missed being run over by a car running a stop sign. He said, speeding away, "call the police, they won't do anything." This guy is my neighbor.

Yesterday, hit by a bus while walking at an an intersection on campus. Driver said, "sorry, I didn't see you." He was not given any citations. "Accidents happen" said the reporting officer.

So, I'll be under the kitchen table for a couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from a ride and wondered what was up as I had more messages than normal. It looks like someone was hit on Pettis earlier today and I typically ride in that vicinity (prefer Egypt Valley and Honey Creek though). No word on who it was but it sounds like they walked away, which is a good sign.
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I do not know if actual incidents are up or we are just more aware of them on social media. Not only local but nationwide. I don't know what the odds are. Maybe a bit or somewhat worse than getting bitten by a shark on OW swims out here?

Fatalities are down over time. Way down if you consider miles ridden.

The odds of being killed while on your bike per hour of exposure is about double that of traveling in a car. It isn't that high really. Using some sense regarding visibility and routes would make it even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden outside three times this year, two of them were races. Safer and more convenient.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Fear of riding on road has peaked [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a car change lanes at me and drive me onto the shoulder at 70 mph this morning. Way more dangerous than anything that has ever happened to me on a bike. Scared the shit out of me. If the shoulder would have been softer, I would have been screwed.

At no point today have I considered giving up driving.
Quote Reply

Prev Next