Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Protein? Dialing in my IM Nutrition (need help from the coke fans)
Quote | Reply
I've done all I could to dial in my nutrition (to date). I'm signed up for IMLOU (Oct).

My last 3 races have been HIM's, with the latest Choo 70.3 (5:35) a great liquid nutrition experiment. I like it.

Since Choo, I've done (ride/run) bricks of 50/10 and 60/11, practicing my IM nutrition on each. Everything has worked out well, but, I can't replicate an IM-length day to know if my plan is solid. I'm guessing we need 'some' protein for the day. I'm also assuming (haven't checked...and don't know exactly what to look for) my Infinit custom blend has 'some'.

Here's the kicker.......I just planned on coke for the run. Am I naive? Do I need to re-think this (add protein)? Will my bike mix have enough to carry me through the run? How would I know this (can't replicate the day)? If I need protein, any suggestions?

I'm 53 (2 weeks after race day) and a little over 190#'s. My goal is to finish (13-ish hrs).

Thanks, in advance, for your perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein? Dialing in my IM Nutrition (need help from the coke fans) [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a nutritionist but I can't see how your body is going to make any use of protein during the event. Take some immediately after sure to start repairing the muscle damage but not during.

Protein is hard to digest and will possibly slow down the absorption of carbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein? Dialing in my IM Nutrition (need help from the coke fans) [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't really think you need protein on the bike. But your bike mix will NOT be enough to take you through the run. You will need calories on the run but less than the bike. If you take coke at every aid station you might be fine but you'll probably need some gels so you can make it without bonking.

Haven't done an IM in a few years but id alternate gel and water, Gatorade, then coke as needed but I tried to save coke until later in the run.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Protein? Dialing in my IM Nutrition (need help from the coke fans) [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A can of coke has 220 cal's. If I were to take in 3 oz. at each aid station (supplementing with water and base salt), I'd approach bike cal. #'s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLOU will be my 3rd.
In my first, I didn't take enough on the bike.
In my 2nd, I learned that protein screws me up. I don't think you neee much protein if any.
I suggest you hold off on Coke until the 2nd half of the run.
What I've learned is that the amount of calories is important but what that calorie consists of is also important. Running a marathon in HFCS isn't ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'd be better served saving the coke and gatorade for the second half of the run. If you're aiming for 13 hours, you'll be running for about 5 hours which is a long time to be humming along on the sugar bubbly.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Protein? Dialing in my IM Nutrition (need help from the coke fans) [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b-rudy wrote:
I think you'd be better served saving the coke and gatorade for the second half of the run. If you're aiming for 13 hours, you'll be running for about 5 hours which is a long time to be humming along on the sugar bubbly.

i guess he is underestimating what he can do. but your right for 5 hour time on the 'run' portion you probably will use more fat for fuel and the coke will just give more GI issues. better to prepare for the 'run' with solids on the bike ...
Quote Reply
Re: Protein? Dialing in my IM Nutrition (need help from the coke fans) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My plan was all liquids.

After seeing the above replies (and doing a little reading), I'm re-thinking and thinking maybe gels and water for the first half of the run.

All liquids has worked great in training and at Choo (1/2). But, like I said....I have no way to know if it's gonna work on race day ----- or not. My SN bag on the bike and run will be interesting. I have no idea what will sound good at that point.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Quote Reply